Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Ty

1967 22' Safari
thornton , Colorado
1967 Safari - Basic electrical - photos attached

AF,

I don't know the first thing about my "new" airstream. One of my first goals is adding a nice battery and I can't even do that. Lame.

Can someone identify this plug and tell me how it's to adapt to batter terminals?

Further, what is going with this wiring area? It's looks like a fire hazard, but I don't what's what in order to upgrade it. Surely that's someone's handiwork not the remnants of an airstream setup.

Thanks for any help. Got a huge learning curve here.

Ty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3362.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	141886   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3363.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	141887  

Name:	DSCN3366.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	141888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3367.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	141889  

denverdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
My guess is that someone was trying to make it easy to take a battery in and out. Maybe there was a female end that was attached to the battery. I would take this out right away, you would not want to accidentally plug your 12v system into 110v. This would be a good time to replace those fuses with a new fuse box and run new wires from the battery to the box. You can then start testing each circuit. Rust and corrosion is bad for conducting electricity.
Brianv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That plug is part of a two-part to connect and disconnect the battery. The female (missing) half just has the two wires leading to the battery terminals themselves.

Those small units below the battery are three 12-volt self-resetting circuit breakers for your three 12-volt circuits. If you wish to replace them, they're available at auto-part stores.

Lynn
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The white wires from the wall appear to be standard wires that could be used for 12vDC going to a different breakers with an overall master fuse in the line before the plug. Also appears the large black/red wire set comes out of a line that was cut for some reason which could have been the line coming back from the tow rig or the univolt. Depending on how the rest of the trailer in wired (univolt, AC line for shore power, etc...) this may or maynot be useful. It's possible they used the plug setup to quickly connect/disconnect the battery from the system (which would be my guess)
Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
1972 Argosy 24
Chico , California
No sign of the univolt in the picture, or battery cover. Use a closed cell or get a batterbox with outside vent. Before all of that however, make a master plan of what you are going to do. no point running wires through cabinets if you are going to yank them later. make a list, then a budget next to each item. And a time line.
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
For the 67 rigs (at least for the 30', maybe for all) the univolt was relocated from the battery compartment to the cabinet under the kitchen sink. The very last page of the user's manual has a small addendum to describe this change.

Lynn
Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Ty

1967 22' Safari
thornton , Colorado
Thanks to ALL for the info. Very likely I'll throw some follow up here later to make sure I'm not about to mess something up before trying my hand at pulling and refitting a place for the battery.

My immediate thought is that I'd like to have a nice bank of batteries when all is said and done. I've heard moving the batt's behind the propane tanks on the tow-bar (frame) is a good place. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this. I'm thinking something in the range of a couple or more GPL-8DL. One to start would be fine for now, but would like room to grow.

Thanks again for tolerating my novice status!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Some quick book help...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream manual 51.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	142024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 52.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	142025  

Name:	Airstream manual 49.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	142026  

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Ty

1967 22' Safari
thornton , Colorado
Sweet! Thanks Lee.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Ty

1967 22' Safari
thornton , Colorado
All,

Putting up a couple more photos to orient things in my rig. The univolt is gone and substitute has been installed under the bathroom sink. it appears out of expediency. looks like junk install too. would like to get it a new DC panel maybe AC/DC, converter, etc. and just do it right.

Couple of general questions:

How does power fork off to different items? The wiring here at this cluster looks limited, so does each light, outlet, etc. just fork off the line behind the walls? If so I suppose that simplifies things a bit. I assumed that each outlet, light, etc. would have to be identified and eventually wired into a panel given my OCD approach to this.

The white wire that goes across the converter in new pics...would that likely be 'outbound' wire to the battery area?

Also, any experience with wiring of this era. Is it pretty safe and stable or should I consider an overhaul? The major concern when out n about would be old wire equaling inefficient wire.

Last, The 120V system runs only the A/C and the power converter? If so, that system would be fairly limited in it's wiring, ergo most of my job is going to be DC system around battery cluster?

Thanks as always. If these questions sound stupid you see the things I google to get to this point. Making leaps n bounds tho.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3393.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	143027   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3394.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	143028  

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
1972 Argosy 24
Chico , California
As for the 120v: run a line for your fridge too, and then an outlet in the bath area and the kitchen area. Think about what you would want to run if you had to stay in it for a weekend and had power to plug into. Coffee machine, space heater, etc. You can get a breaker box at Home Depot for a single circuit, used for HVAC and Spas, etc. Make sure you have a breaker installed, 15 amp should do, then you can use 14-3 wire. In the first outlet put in a GFI outlet, then wire everything downstream off of it. that will give you the protection you need. I added a second battery to mine, works great! Also got a volt meter at Harbor Freight for about $10 to check on charge.
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverdingo View Post
All,

Putting up a couple more photos to orient things in my rig. The univolt is gone and substitute has been installed under the bathroom sink. it appears out of expediency. looks like junk install too. would like to get it a new DC panel maybe AC/DC, converter, etc. and just do it right.

Couple of general questions:

How does power fork off to different items? The wiring here at this cluster looks limited, so does each light, outlet, etc. just fork off the line behind the walls? If so I suppose that simplifies things a bit. I assumed that each outlet, light, etc. would have to be identified and eventually wired into a panel given my OCD approach to this.

The white wire that goes across the converter in new pics...would that likely be 'outbound' wire to the battery area?

Also, any experience with wiring of this era. Is it pretty safe and stable or should I consider an overhaul? The major concern when out n about would be old wire equaling inefficient wire.

Last, The 120V system runs only the A/C and the power converter? If so, that system would be fairly limited in it's wiring, ergo most of my job is going to be DC system around battery cluster?

Thanks as always. If these questions sound stupid you see the things I google to get to this point. Making leaps n bounds tho.
You internal wiring is more than likely aluminum wires.

The "Univolt" front panel opens and you should find some fuses there.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
Ty

1967 22' Safari
thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper
Some quick book help...
Will one of those nice clean Blue Sea DC distribution panels eliminate this mess of wire and timber?

Also sincer there are 3 DC circuits is there a common arrangement for the routing? I.e. one goes to lights, another to fans, etc. any help understanding how things branch off, where and why is appreciated.

What becomes of the 2 40 amp fuses? I have a 50amp fuse. Just wire it in?

Last, is there a common visual distinction to be made of wiring for AC in rig vs wiring for DC? That would help with basics of mapping what wires go where.

Thanks.

Ty

Tags
1967, 1967 safari, battery, harness, plug