Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Wimberley , Texas
Texas New Member and First Question

Greetings from Wimberley, in the Hill Country of Texas. My name is Norman Sanders, I go by my nickname of Sandy.

I am not yet an AS owner, but expect to be within a month or so. I'm 74, retired, and live out in the country with two little dogs, a Papillon and a Min Pin mutt. With the clock winding down on me, I'd like to do a stint of road warrioring in the US, having lived, worked, or traveled most of my adult life in 80+ countries. May as well see a bit of this one, too...

This will be my first RV. I will tow with a 2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x Crew Cab. It is rated for 6,720 pounds, but so far I've hooked it to a Winnebago Hike 21 and an Airstream BaseCamp 20X and both produced an unacceptable amount of squatting, even with the supposedly upgraded shocks on the Pro-4X. I've decided to solve that problem with the installation of an Air Lift 1000.

Made gun-shy by the squatting, I've been concentrating my current search on AS 16s - Bambi, Caravel, and FC. An AS dealer said that IF the squatting problem is solved by the AirLift for a 16', it will also solve the problem for a 19'. The tongue weight/GVWR stats would seem to support this, but that's theoretical.

My question is: Is it reasonable to assume that the solution that should in principle work for a 16 will also work for a 19? I like the layout of the 19's better, but I don't want to wind up with an accidental problem for which I'd be kicking myself on the hind side because of over-reaching.

Thanks for being able to benefit from your expertise. I will repay good advice with pix, once a deal is consummated...
NDSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried any trailers connected using a weight distribution hitch? If the trailer is properly sized and has a tongue weight within your truck's capacity, the WD hitch can help alleviate some of the rear end squat and transfer that weight to the front of the tow vehicle.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSinTX View Post

I will tow with a 2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x Crew Cab. It is rated for 6,720 pounds...

Can you go out to your truck, open the driver's door and take a picture of the load sticker and post it here?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome! I lived right up the road from you in Dripping Springs before I moved out of the state. I agree with the comment above by Richard. A weight distribution hitch will really help. Are you buying it from the dealer in Buda? They should be able to help with setup.

I don’t know anything about the towing capacity of a Nissan Frontier, but make sure to check you payload and hitch weight ratings in addition to the maximum towing capacity. You’ll need to install a trailer brake controller if you don’t already have one, and some towing mirrors will be helpful.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

In your tow vehicle research, don't confuse towing capacity with payload capacity. When crunching the numbers, it is usually payload that will come up and bite you in the butt.

On these small pick-ups the payload capacity is most often under 1,500#. The trailers that you are looking at can have tongue weights in the 600# range. This would leave you 900# for everything else that is in the truck. This includes you and any passengers, fuel, and all other gear, tools, and equipment that is carried in the truck. If you have a cap or tonneau cover this would also have to be included.

You may also want to take a look at the Casita Travel trailers.

Best wishes in your pursuit of Airstreaming.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
gday mate...we here in australia have that twin cab..its called a navara etc

yes many tow with it etc...sounds like you are within all specs ...remember ...stay under GVM...including all occupants and gear in ute and tow ball weight of AS.....Stay under GVM!
SO IF KERB WEIGHT WITH FULL TANKS IS 2500KG AND GVM IS 2900KG..THEN ADD YOU AND DOGS AND BAGS AND AS TOW BALL DOWN WEIGHT....THIS ALL COMBINED CANNOT EXCEED 2900KG..(for example)

now here is the best info ive got for you for thought bloke...

do not place an airbag inbetween rear leaf springs ...unless you have a fabricator weld in chassis strength plates ..IT PUTS PIN POINT PRESSURE ON CHASSIS DESIGNDD FOR LEAF SPRINGS NOT COILS

GOGGLE "BENT UTE "!!!!!!!!!!!!

this mainly applies to twin cabs of the smaller size with leaf spring rears....

PLEASE for the love of 6 pound baby jesus instead....replace your rear leaf springs to the correct load rate for tow ball / hitch weight...VERY SIMPLE

so for example....if you and dogs and AS tow ball weight are around 300kg..then get 300kg constant load leaf speings for ute. etc etc ...the kg rating should mostly always be above factory oem springs

if you want more info message me

stay safe ..and welcome to the forum...i joined a couple of days ago cobber

hooroo
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Wimberley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jenkins View Post
Can you go out to your truck, open the driver's door and take a picture of the load sticker and post it here?
Should be attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-08-14_105148433.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	420948  
Old 08-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Wimberley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried any trailers connected using a weight distribution hitch? If the trailer is properly sized and has a tongue weight within your truck's capacity, the WD hitch can help alleviate some of the rear end squat and transfer that weight to the front of the tow vehicle.
I have not, but I intend to do that. I looked at them yesterday. If I do that, is it perhaps unnecessary to also do the Air Lift shock replacement?
Old 08-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Sandy, welcome to the Forums. We have a weight distribution/sway control setup for our F150 that hooks up the either of our trailers. Makes a world of difference. As mentioned, a Casita is light weight and made just up the 35 freeway. Also, the Oliver is becoming popular. Whatever you choose, let us know. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I have not, but I intend to do that. I looked at them yesterday. If I do that, is it perhaps unnecessary to also do the Air Lift shock replacement?
A properly configured weight distribution hitch should obviate the need for air bags or air shocks. Personally, I’d skip the air shocks. If you feel the need to use the combination of WDH and air shocks, then it’s important to be realistic about your goals with the air shocks. If you use them with a relatively low pressure to provide a smoother ride, then you might be okay. If you use them to level out the back of your squatting truck, then you’re masking other problems and you won’t likely be happy with the outcome. That’s my 2˘ Worth of advice.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #11
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The WD hitch will help maintain control by effectively transferring some of the weight from the hitch back to the front (steer) axle of the truck.

Not sure if the airbags will do anything other than lift up the rear of the truck. This is nice but if it doesn't return weight to the front axle in the process you've still got the steering issue to deal with.

Anyone here have experience with airbags that can answer the question about them actually returning weight to the steer axle vs. merely helping hold up the rear end?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Wimberley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Sandy, welcome to the Forums. We have a weight distribution/sway control setup for our F150 that hooks up the either of our trailers. Makes a world of difference. As mentioned, a Casita is light weight and made just up the 35 freeway. Also, the Oliver is becoming popular. Whatever you choose, let us know. Good luck
Greetings, I see you too are just up the road in F'Burg. I thought that the WD hitch was paired with the trailer. The ones I've seen have been attached to the trailer, and I thought that they were "mapped" to that trailer. It so happens that I use two other trailers regularly, one a utility trailer that doesn't need anything else with it, and the other a boat trailer pulling a lead keel sailboat. I know I have weight distribution issues with the latter, depending on where all the rigging is located. I want to put a WD arrangement on that boat trailer, but you seem to be suggesting that one WD device could be used on more than one trailer. Am I getting that right?

I looked up the Oliver - I have seen one or two on the road, they look perfect, but they are more expensive than AS and I'm not wild about the inside arrangement on the smaller one - the cooking surface is right next to the bed without any separator. The Casitas do look like a viable option, at half the price. I'll get up there and look.

Tks for your time. S.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Wimberley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

In your tow vehicle research, don't confuse towing capacity with payload capacity. When crunching the numbers, it is usually payload that will come up and bite you in the butt.

On these small pick-ups the payload capacity is most often under 1,500#. The trailers that you are looking at can have tongue weights in the 600# range. This would leave you 900# for everything else that is in the truck. This includes you and any passengers, fuel, and all other gear, tools, and equipment that is carried in the truck. If you have a cap or tonneau cover this would also have to be included.

You may also want to take a look at the Casita Travel trailers.

Best wishes in your pursuit of Airstreaming.

Brian
Yeah, I'm probably ripe for getting "bit in the butt". In fact as I read your advice, I'm not at all confident that I know the difference between the values you are citing. Are they on that label that I posted at the request of the other respondent?
Old 08-14-2022, 01:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Should be attached...
Sandy -

I apologize, I should have been clearer...I meant the tire loading sticker (assuming there is one).

To cut to the chase, this is the "Payload" number that your truck (your specific truck) is rated for. Payload will be the maximum cargo, including passengers, cargo, the hitch, and anything else that you load into the truck.

To help you track down this number, I'll attach the tire loading sticker from my truck. My truck's payload is listed at 1,738 lb. This is what you are looking for.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	420961  
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Wimberley , Texas
Thank you Rich, and all others who intentionally or otherwise contributed to a very necessary education.

I've spent the past three hours collecting data from the truck manual, the truck stickers, and the trailer spec sheets. I've also found and downloaded a very useful manual on trailering from Nissan. Using all that, I have:

a) Whipped up a very slick little Excel spreadsheet that will allow me enter all of the fixed and variable components of weighting on the truck itself, and the specifications of any given trailer and it will automatically calculate whether there is a tongue weight problem (meaning I have too much stuff in the truck to accommodate the addition of the trailer tongue weight rating) AND it will calculate whether the fully loaded trailer will push the whole thing above (or below) the Gross Combined Weight Rating.

b) Answered most of my original question, which is that if I have my little truck (with its ARE cap) and Yakima racks on the cap, plus stuff in or on the truck, my available weight allowance for tongue weight will be below not only the 19 specs, but also ANY of the AS 16s. Bambi 16 is 430.

I'm disappointed, but a lot less disappointed than if I had proceeded to purchase a 19. Even a 16 is going to require traveling more lightly than I had anticipated.

I appreciate the comments from all of you that helped me do a due diligence that I should have done before even shopping around.

Mine may turn out to be the shortest membership duration of anyone in the group... :-D

S.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Thank you Rich, and all others who intentionally or otherwise contributed to a very necessary education.

I've spent the past three hours collecting data from the truck manual, the truck stickers, and the trailer spec sheets. I've also found and downloaded a very useful manual on trailering from Nissan. Using all that, I have:

a) Whipped up a very slick little Excel spreadsheet that will allow me enter all of the fixed and variable components of weighting on the truck itself, and the specifications of any given trailer and it will automatically calculate whether there is a tongue weight problem (meaning I have too much stuff in the truck to accommodate the addition of the trailer tongue weight rating) AND it will calculate whether the fully loaded trailer will push the whole thing above (or below) the Gross Combined Weight Rating.

b) Answered most of my original question, which is that if I have my little truck (with its ARE cap) and Yakima racks on the cap, plus stuff in or on the truck, my available weight allowance for tongue weight will be below not only the 19 specs, but also ANY of the AS 16s. Bambi 16 is 430.

I'm disappointed, but a lot less disappointed than if I had proceeded to purchase a 19. Even a 16 is going to require traveling more lightly than I had anticipated.

I appreciate the comments from all of you that helped me do a due diligence that I should have done before even shopping around.

Mine may turn out to be the shortest membership duration of anyone in the group... :-D

S.
No worries, we've all been there. At least you found this out before putting down hard-earned money on a trailer.

Hope it works out.

Rich