Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hockessin , Delaware
Our DESTINY: Int Signature 27FB

Hi Everyone,

It's really amazing how life can take crazy turns. Half a year ago we tried to get a house. We were lead on by a mortgage company for a long time. Exhausted at the end of this process we heard the latest news: not approved. Couldn't really believe it (long story why) but there we were... full of questions and out of necessity conceiving plan B. We did what we always do, made lemonade and moved on. Went on a month long trip across USA just to clear our heads (and because it was something we both always wanted to do! - you can see the results by clicking on the website link in our signature) and came back... completely mesmerized by an idea to live *almost* full time in an airstream. Another few weeks later and we have an order placed, waiting for our 2016 27FB to arrive. We're picking it up from Airstream of Chicago around mid September. So excited! After long discussions, a lot of daydreaming and consideration of our entire lifestyle we are very much ready for a drastic change. We need to, want to, have to downsize and live simple. This trip we just took was such an amazing eye-opener. We're going to travel more, explore the North-West until there is nothing left (and then visit all our favorite places again!).

Didn't get a house and in the end figured out we didn't really need it! Everything happens for a reason. Towing vehicle is already here. Deposit for the 27FB has been paid. Now the waiting and forum reading begins. Then we're hoping to see many of YOU out there during our upcoming travels! So excited to join this community!

Now please tell us we made the right choice and are on the way to live more enjoyable, adventurous life!

David & Blonnie
GoingSmwhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We are all so full of opinions and bluster to include raining on people's parades.

If you made to right decision for you and your life for now... Then your great and many will admire your upcoming adventures.

We all do this differently and approach it with different goals, mindsets and reasons.

Nothing is constant in life but change! Go have fun, learn a lot, experience new things. You will likely not regret the experience and can change your minds when you or life circumstances need you to.

One thing you will find here is lots of advice, experience, skill, good intentions and great people to help at a moments notice.

Best way to get a answer on the forum is with a clear statement in the subject line. If you don't get a quick reply just refresh your thread with a "bump" to bring it back to the top.

Lots of fun to come.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Congrats! Look forward to following your adventure, it is one of the best part of these forums, so many people doing great things
Old 07-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Only you can determine that. Just don't over romanticize this lifestyle. There are bad days and good days.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
SAVE $6K - buy THIS! B.S.

I used to think I was pretty immune to marketing ploys - then one night I was flipping channels and landed on QVC. They had a great deal - service for 12 on fine bone china in a very romantic Victorian rose pattern. It was PRETTY.
and I, who get out the GOOD paper plates when company comes, actually reached for my credit card. My mother could squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh** in her hand... and her early training plus my own internal picture of having high tea for the local Harley club made me laugh and switch channels away from the temptation.
We all buy emotionally - and justify it later with logic. If you just justify it before you buy it, you'll buy a lot less and enjoy it a lot more.

I'm a long time full-timer, and I want to help you really enjoy the experience for more than the 90 day "pink cloud" period.

One of my favorite sayings is: We are all ignorant, just on different subjects. Being ignorant isn't shameful. Being financially unsophisticated isn't shameful as long as you KNOW you need to improve and take steps to DO it. Anyone can WANT to take tennis lessons, but everyone NEEDS to become a top notch financial guru when it comes to managing their own money.

You did get turned down for a mortgage - that was a huge wake up call. You responded impulsively and took a month long trip, and now you're buying an Airstream on credit. That impulse COULD turn out to be OK, or even brilliant, IF you make ONE BIG CHANGE. Otherwise, it will almost certainly turn out that you've just done MORE of the same stuff that got you rejected for that mortgage. (That was rude, but I'm yelling "FIRE" to get you focused on making ONE change that will GET you the results you now only HOPE for.)

I had the advantage of growing up in a home where learning to manage money closely followed potty training. In the 1950's almost all other parents were "sparing" their children the rigors of delayed gratification, "worrying" about money, or knowing the difference between "want" and "need". Those kids grew up to have kids (probably you) who are equally casual about money... and who get into trouble without knowing why or how, or how to get out.

Here are two resources that can make managing money fun and even "sexy"
Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com
Suze Orman : Personal Financial Guru : Can I Afford it : Suze Orman Show

Dave Ramsey's website does tout a lot of his own products and services - but you can get SO much really great stuff from it, along with his radio show, podcasts, e-mails, etc. that it's the excellent starting place.

Suze Orman can be a bit irritating (performs like a TV evangelist) but again, her advice is spot on.

My basics:
  1. there are two sides to the financial dilemma - income and spending - but spending causes more problems. 50% of all lottery winners file bankruptcy because they STILL spend more than they've got coming in!
  2. financial peace is never achieved by one violent spasm of change, only by making new habits
  3. first you find out where you are
  4. Learn the difference between "want" and "need". You NEED food, you don't need sirloin steak, capers, truffles or Godiva chocolate. You do not need to impress your neighbors with a $3000 barbecue or 75 inch TV.
  5. then you figure out EVERY single way you have available to improve your situation (return unopened, unused purchases, have a yard sale, get a job, get a second job, stop asking for unpaid time off, cut up the credit cards, make a budget, go to the grocery store with a LIST and only enough money to buy what you NEED,
  6. admit to one other person - preferably someone you'd hate to tell - what kind of debt you're in - then update them every two weeks about what progress you're making
  7. never go shopping for entertainment. buy only what you've determined you need.

Paula
Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Full time, part time, good days, bad days, smart buy or impulsive purchase aside- welcome to the Airstream family. Once you are settled in, give a thought to the WBCCI aka The Airstream Owners Club. Hope to see you down the road! Keep an eye out for 5809....

www.wbcci.org

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

You did get turned down for a mortgage - that was a huge wake up call. You responded impulsively and took a month long trip, and now you're buying an Airstream on credit. That impulse COULD turn out to be OK, or even brilliant, IF you make ONE BIG CHANGE. Otherwise, it will almost certainly turn out that you've just done MORE of the same stuff that got you rejected for that mortgage. (That was rude, but I'm yelling "FIRE" to get you focused on making ONE change that will GET you the results you now only HOPE for.)

Hit the nail on the head. Can't afford a house, so purchased a luxury camper on impulse. I predict a hard landing, probably sooner than later.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
David and Blonnie,

Great website! Looks like it was a great trip.

Some of us are infected with wanderlust. Travel isn't so much an option as it is a need. I've had it since a child, and my parents thought I would "get over it!". I didn't. Many people consider travel a luxury, something you work toward and earn. For some of us, it is an important part of living.

Hard work and self discipline are important attributes, but they don't preclude enjoying yourself and following your passions. You are young(compared to me, at least), and there is time for a house in your future, if that's what you want someday. Please don't discount the more cautionary entries in this thread, they represent wisdom, experience, and concern.

There must be a balance between living life responsibly, and loving the life you live. Remember: Each day is as good as you choose it to be!

Enough pontificating from this old guy!!

I bought my 2014 27FB Signature a year ago, and have been full timing in it since October. We have not regretted it for a second. We have two adults and two cats, and it's been the perfect size for us. Home for the Summer to sell the house, and can't wait get back out there! Maybe our paths will cross somewhere this Winter.

Have fun!

Rick
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Some are quick to pass judgement with limited facts and not knowing the background of the story. Don't get me started on how stupid Dave Ramsey and his advice is.

I don't know your story, and I won't pretend to know it. But I watched some of your videos. A friend of mine was told he hasn't been in America long enough to qualify for a mortgage, despite being debt free and earning 6 figures. He's been here for 3yrs, and was told come back in 5 and to go buy a car or something. I wouldn't immediately jump to conclusions about someones situation without knowing all the facts. It's extremely rude.

Welcome to the community, hope to see you guys on the road. We are already out west after ditching suburbia ourselves.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Tough crowd.

I wish you the best with your new Airstream and adventures.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hockessin , Delaware
Hittenstiehl - thanks for the welcome!

Gsmblue - thank you for the positive outlook, excited to share what's ahead with all of you here!

Bold Adventure - this is actually partially your fault, haha - we've been reading your pages! glad to hear from you here and thank you for the welcome and words of wisdom! Hoping to meet you in real life some time!

Paula - thanks for your input. Mortgages can be denied for many reasons and a denial doesn't have to mean the applicants have poor money management skills (we're actually VERY happy with how we manage our resources). Good luck to you!

kscherzi - challenge accepted! check back with us in a few years and see if we have any bruises.

Rick - congratulations on your great choice, so happy to hear the 27FB has been working well for you! We would love to meet you somewhere out there one day - maybe this forum will allow us to do so - can't wait!

HeadWest - thank you for your good words, much appreciated!

“I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail.”
GoingSmwhere is offline   Reply With Quote