Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Newish in Colorado

Hello! I actually joined this forum several years ago before I found my trailer so I mostly just lurked and drooled over everyone's pictures . In December 2009 I purchased my first trailer, a 1973 Serro Scotty. It was a wonderful introduction to trailer camping/RVing since before we had only backpacked and 4x4 camped. One trip and we were hooked but we knew we needed a bigger trailer. Not too big because we needed to tow it with an F-150, but definitely bigger than 13 feet!

I had been coveting an Airstream for years so my quest began in earnest now that hubby was on board. I wanted a riveted aluminum trailer so I searched for Airstreams, Avions, SilverStreaks, Streamliners. In September 2010 I found her on Craigslist, not an Airstream, but vintage Kin...a 1963 Avalair. We drove 3 hours hoping she would be as great as she looked in the ad...she was! Thus Dorothy Gale came home with us and promptly went on her maiden voyage; a week long trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota and Devil's Tower.

It was a long wait and sometimes I thought I would never find my aluminum trailer - one that was in my price range, the right length, in the condition I was looking for and not located half the country away. But finally I did and she is a dream come true!

And now some pics:

Cheers!
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello, Lori, and welcome to airforums.com!

That Avalair is as cute as a button, and is the first one of those I have seen. Do you have any of the history of that company?

In the last photo it looks as though the window you are looking out from has a hard cover, something like a canopy. Is that what it is?

[on edit] I see that the window I was asking about is the rear (or front?) window. That makes more sense.

Thanks for the great photos, it's not often one sees a mid-'60s trailer with as nice an interior as yours.

cheers,

Aage
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lori

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your find. That is truly a beautiful trailer. It actually looks a little more like an Airstream than an Avion does- not that it matters. But it is really nice looking and looks like it has been well cared for.

I am sure that we all look forward to learning more about your trailer.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. That's a great looking trailer. I have never heard of that brand before.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome aboard from a fellow Colorado-aluminut! Hope we have a chance to meet somewhere down the road...check out TCT, there is a gathering planned this spring for all types of vintage trailers at the Starlite Campground in Canon City...we'll be there! Love to meet you and your adorable trailer!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lori

I see that your trailer was made in Baroda, Michigan. Quite a few trailer manufacturers were located in Michigan in the 50's and 60's.

My brother has a 1955 Holly. It is as plain as can be on the outside and it was painted with a brush, but you should see the beautiful birch interior. I will post pictures some time. He keeps it in his barn on a farm in Tecumseh, Michigan.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks for the warm welcome! There is not much info available on Avalairs! From what I have been able to find, the company was founded by three men who worked for Avion and the trailers were made in Baroda Michigan for 3 years - 1961 to 1963. The 22 foot length like mine was built in 1962 and 1963. They have a 13 panel front and the frame has a center rail instead of the typical 2 rails. The appliance package could be ordered in brown or pink (wish I had the pink) That is the extent of my knowledge! Prior to finding mine I saw one for sale on ebay in Arizona about 8 years ago. There is also one on Trailerworks site that they polished up AvalairComplete

Aage - yes that is the cover/rock shield over the front window where the dinette is located. It hinges up. The previous owners painted it to match the vinyl upholstery, I think it is fiberglass.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Nice! The pink would have been fun!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Correction, the frame has a center rail in addition to the typical 2 rails, not instead of....it was late last night when I was typing! InsideOut - I would love to go to the TCT gathering my my hubby is on call that weekend :-( I hope we can make the next one. We are thinking about doing a short weekend trip at that campground (we live in the Springs so it's close) because we want to see their vintage trailers. Something in late Spring probably because Canon City gets really hot and we don't have AC :-)
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Lori,

Great looking rig. We're glad to have you with us.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, vintage, vintage kin