Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
New In New Mexico

I just purchased my dream Airstream--23' 1972 Safari Land Yacht. Ever since neighbors of my (now deceased) parents parked it under their carport in 1985, I lusted for it. I'd been looking for "the" Airstream for sometime. My adult son asked me if I'd ever asked these people if they wanted to sell their Airsteam. I couldn't imagine that anyone would want to part with with one, so, no. Actually, I thought it was a little bold. So, while I was away on a trip (the LAST motel cross-country trip) my son went to the door and asked them if they'd be interested in selling. And, sure enough, they hadbeen thinking about it since they hadn't used it in the last five years and maybe only a dozen times before that. So, now I'm the proud owner of a nice vintage Airstream. It's in excellent shape inside and out and my son and I are going to test all the systems before taking to a local RV place to have the wiring worked on. (When my son towed it to his house, turning on the turn signals caused the brakes to lock up).

Now, my question is, what are some ways to make the "gaucho" double bed into a more comfortable "real" bed--you know like with sheets and blankets. While the interior is all original and very nice, because of it's age the foam in both the center and front gauchos is really broken down so when you sit on them you sink to the frame.
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Foam in both the gauchos is really broken down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
I just purchased my dream Airstream--23' 1972 Safari Land Yacht.
Now, my question is, what are some ways to make the "gaucho" double bed into a more comfortable "real" bed--you know like with sheets and blankets. While the interior is all original and very nice, because of it's age the foam in both the center and front gauchos is really broken down so when you sit on them you sink to the frame.
We found our Airstream mattress to be way too hard for comfort. We purchased a memory foam topper pad at Costco. It helped somewhat. We put a second memory foam topper pad on it and now we sleep very comfortably.
PS: Welcome to Airstream Forums and WBCCI_NM Yahoo group.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
take a look at this bed I put in the corner of my 18' Caravel. I also put a permanent bed along the side of my rear-bath 27' Overlander. Both are only 48" wide but so far they are comfortable for the two of us. I am guessing you've got a pull-out in the front and another along the side, so you could do the same thing if you wanted a permanent bed.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=permanent+bed
Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool Welcome

There's got to be something in the water in New Mexico and Colorado. Lots of Airstreaming going on there.

Welcome to the forums. Love your "handle" . Your highway is blue in color in my atlas too. Was by your way just last year. I wonder if your "new baby" is one of the many we spotted sitting in yards on our trip.

Good luck with the mattress situation. We're starting from the ground up. No gaucho and no mattress for middle double bed either. My research however all points to memory foam; pricey but good for the long haul.

Chat room on Tuesdays, 7p.m. your time.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks. . .

. . . for the warm welcome and for the bed suggestion. And "Led" thanks for the pictures and ideas. Your cabinets are beautiful. As for the handle, it was inspired by William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways about his travels on the backroads (Blue highways on the map) around America.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New In New Mexico

Greents Blu_Hwy_Lady!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
I just purchased my dream Airstream--23' 1972 Safari Land Yacht. . . . I'm the proud owner of a nice vintage Airstream. It's in excellent shape inside and out and my son and I are going to test all the systems before taking to a local RV place to have the wiring worked on. (When my son towed it to his house, turning on the turn signals caused the brakes to lock up).

An observation that may save you a service call on the "umbilical cord" wiring. The Bargman trailer connector on a Vintage Airstream or Argosy rarely mates with the modern Industry standard Bargman connector found on a modern tow vehicle. Even for a non-do-it-yourselfer like me, it isn't a particularly difficult problem to solve with the diagrams found on the links below:

Wiring Schematic as utilized in Vintage Airstreams:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

Wiring Schematic -- Current Industry Standard:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

When you compare the two diagrams side-by-side, it is easy to see how unusual reactions can be anticipated -- and it is impossible to predict whether a previous owner may have rewired the trailer Bargman connector to a pattern of his or her own plan. I had to rewire both my Overlander and Minuet prior to their first trips, and had no particular problem; but I would suggest getting a new trailer end to match your tow vehicle's equipment -- when I opened up the connector on one of my coach's, the contacts were so corroded that it would have been impossible to reuse the original or existing trailer end.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
great info Overlander

I printed out and my son and I will work on it this afternoon.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Summertime Trailer Spawning

Hi Blu Hwy Lady:

Congratulations on becoming aluminized and getting wired. I sense your '72 Safari might feel some spawning urges late this summer. Well, we'll have relief nearby. Just let her roll downhill a few miles to the Rio Grande River, point her upstream and let 'er go. In a good half day or so she'll arrive at the Rocky Mt. Vintage Airstream Club Spawning Grounds in Creede, Colorado, where from August 5th to August 11th a lot of heavily chaperoned Airstreams will gather for cross pollination of trailering ideas old and new. Details can be found here:

http://www.rmvac.org/2006%20website/info.html

but you'll have to keep a close eye on your trailer or she might pop a rivet or two among new friends.

Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you can join us this summer. If you think you can, you best sign up soon as spaces are filling up quickly.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Wee wind: If I wasn't convinced before, you riveted tight my revelation that I'm in the right place. Except I don't know that I'd necessarily chaperone my Airstream, if it turns out to be female (haven't made the determination yet) I think I'd let her roam free, maybe let her cuddle up to a nice big triple axle Excella and hope that in a few months after the rally, I might come out one morning and find a cute little 16' foot Bambi Anniversary Edition next to her. That is where they come from, isn't it?