Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Lithia , Florida
Michael Dautel Introduction

Hi All,

This is something I should have done long ago for which I will apologize . Actually, I am doing this because some very nice folks were in looking at their second Airstream they were buying from me and mentioned that they had seen my name in this forum several times. I have not looked through the forums yet. I wanted to introduce myself first.

Born and raised in the Springfield, Illinois. In 1968, at the tender age of 18, I enlisted in the Air Force basically to start a new adventure in my life. Little did I know it would change my life forever. The first 9 years, I was an NDI (Non destructive Inspection) Specilist which was an aircraft inspector responsible for inspecting aircraft for structural defects using a variety of methods. The next 11 years, I was an engineer for AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Service) which provided the opportunity to travel extensively around the world visiting over 20 different countries. During my 20 years, I was stationed in Viet Nam, South Dakota, Texas, Germany, Illinois, Colorado, Louisiana, and ending up in Texas where I retired from. I am one of the few that entered the Air Force in San Antonio, Texas and retired there.

Following the year after my retirement, I was hired by DOD to build the first state of the art digital video post production facility in San Bernadino, California. Completing that assignment, I was hired by a video/audio equipment manufacturing company in San Diego as an applications engineer. Over the next 10 years, I progressed through the company into the position as Director of sales in the late 90s where I spent a couple of years living on airplanes, in hotels, rental cars and meetings. At the age of 50, I decided I had enough of the rat race and a failing marriage, I resigned and got a divorce and decided I would go full timing.

I started with a small class C motorhome, then moved into 5th wheels. In the early 2000s, I worked at a couple of places and one of those places was the Fiesta Key KOA in the Florida Keys as a Workamper. In 2003, I answered an ad by Frank Bates who was looking for full timers for sales people. So, nine years later and I am still here. It was a good fit. I came to really enjoy the Airstream products and differences and the people who came to look at them. Over time, I became the Airstream "Guru" at Bates. I pride myself on knowing the Airstream extremely well and combining that with my full timing experience makes for a very informed salesman to my customers. I also pride myself on providing service to my customers before, during and after the sale. I am always ready to help in any way I can.

I look forward to being of help whenever I can on this Forum.

Michael
mdautel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Welcome Micahel,

Thank you for your service to our country!

You should be working at Jackson center with your NDI experience. And with your dedication to Airstreams, you could make a difference in engineering and design. There still reamins a few bugs to be worked out in the most recognizable and pricy trailers on the market.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I purchased an AS from Mike about 1 1/2 years ago, very easy and good experience.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
In the process of moving to a new State I discovered that I had misplaced the sales contract of my Airstream that I needed to determine the sales tax that I had paid when I purchased it and what I was going to have to pay to register the Airstream in it's new "Home State" --- Mike spent quite a bit of time to research and come up with a copy of the sales contract -- More than I can say for some others--- Thanks Mike -- "Countrysong"
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Michael

Fascinating background. Welcome to the forums.

Most sales folks don't know much about what they are selling. If I were in the market for a new Airstream, I sure would like to buy it from you.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Lithia , Florida
Thanks Sphere Guy...If they would only move the factory to Florida....lol
Thanks Moosetags
Thanks extiger, countrysong & touringdan, for the kind words and always a pleasure to help in any way I can.
mdautel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Go Michael!

We had a great experience working with Michael, and would steer anyone looking for guidance on Airstreams to talk with Michael. And, more than that, he's just a nice guy.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
Bought my first Airstream from Michael this summer and he was fantastic! Great attitude and knows Airstreams! Answered every question I had. Made it the best buying experience I've ever had. If you want an Airstream, go see Michael at Bates RV! You won't be sorry!
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote