Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
Hello from Kolorado!

I'm a new member that has been interested in airstreams for a very long time. I'm hoping to purchase a vintage model in the mid 60s class but will take the best value I can get for under $10k regardless of manufacturing year. I'm a single dad looking for something my son & I can live in year round, even through the brutal winters. I am capable of doing some of the restoration work myself, if needed but would contract out anything required to 'winterize' the home for living. I'll probably either buy a small parcel of land, 2 - 5 acres or seek a long term stay area with hookups. Any words of wisdom members can pass along would be appreciated. I'll do a search of the forums for winterizing and look to pull on the experience of this group for help and suggestions.

thanks for accepting me and I look forward to being a long term contributing member of this community.

Dan
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi dude and welcome to the forums...

4get the 60s dude! expensive, small, crappy windows, and not really up to full time living...

and 1 in your price range will need DOUBLE that amount in work and 2 years time to happen...

get groovy with a 70s unit....

LOTS available in the size YOU need (31) and it's still possible to find one that doesn't need a shell off monty...

also the pricing is closer to your budget...

go for the LATE 70s for fewer frame issues, all the tanks and appliances that might still work...

NOW visit the 'wintering' treads for some chillin' info...

and some of the many threads by folks "thinking" they can live off the land, simply OR cheaply in a flimsy trailer...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
2air is right on the money.

the only reason i'm responding is to say "welcome dude!"

greetings from kalifornia

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome Dude!

I am just up the road from you in Centennial. I have a 60's model and am very happy with it! Good cabinetry, built solid and you can still get parts. I would go with a 25 foot, or longer, if you are going to live in it.

Ask lots of questions, we are all here to help.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I agree a larger model may be more comfortable in the long term and I don't expect to be moving much once I'm setup. I'm also looking at the Spartan line as it seems these may be better suited for long term, no movement kind of scenarios.

centennialman, yes, those same attributes are what attracted me to the 60s era AS. Do you live in yours fulltime? Have you winterized? Any special modifications made?

thanks again for all your help
Dan
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Sup, Dude.

Uh, that's all I've got.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
1962 Streamline Countess

Kamloops , bc
Hi Dan
I think that it is good not to limit yourself to one line of trailer.There are so many trailers out there.I found mine in a small town buy and sell and did a rescue. It sure is cool to see the reaction that this trailer draws. I broke down on my way to Fort St John BC. I got as far as 100 Mile and lost the rear end. I need to add that it was not the p/u's ti was the fact that I preloaded the bearings. So I had to spend 2 days to have repairs done it was very entertaining to see all the cars slow up as they passed the trailer. Which was right on the main drag through town. I went into the Safeway and heard one of the locals say to an other "if they had seen the alian space craft in the parking lot across from Kaltire". When it is yours its real hard not to feel real good about it. So take your time and you will find that trailer that you just have to have. Happy hunting

VE7RYE
ve7rye is offline   Reply With Quote