Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garden City , Victoria
Question Coming over from Australia any useful tips appreciated

Hi my wife and I are going to the US early next year, I am a Firefighter from Melbourne Australia with 30 years service and am retiring next ear. We intend buying a Motor Home and traveling for 6 months or more around the US and Canada. I have many questions and I suppose so many answers, type of unit to buy, size, make, layout etc. I have been looking on the internet at various motor homes and my head spins.

Any suggestion would be helpful; we are looking at spending up to $30,000. Less would help with living expenses etc, I have looked at the older models but condition scares me a bit, Length is between 28' 30'. We would like to have a rear bed setup that you don't have to makeup daily. Vehicle Insurance costs are unknown to me, ownership should not be a hastle as we will have a residentual address in Seattle

Thanks Ben

Anything at this stage would be a help.
benf39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Ben---Welcome to the forums and congratulations on joining the ranks of the retired.

Many here will chime in with thoughts and suggestions. As far as buying a MoHo for six months, what happens next? Take it home or sell it? If the latter, consider leasing from one of the large RV companies that specialize in this. CruiseAmerica is an example that comes to mind. This should reduce the hassle factor of ownership and keep the vacation a vacation. Check with your auto insurance at home and see if they will provide coverage for this trip.

Again, welcome.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
I am a little confused by your question - are you looking to buy an RV, travel for 6 to 12 months, sell it and then return to Australia? Or are you looking to buy an RV here travel for 6 to 12 months and then keep the RV here?

A search on rvsearch.com showed a number of Airstream Land Yachts with asking prices ranging from at $19,900 - $119,000.

Another option you might consider would be to get a used V8 midsize SUV or pickup truck and 16' or 19' Airstream trailer.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Suggestion was made about renting a MH. That's a good one because if you buy a used MH, you really don't know anything about its condition. A rental outfit should have its equipment in good working order so you should be able to drive and enjoy the trip without worrying about dry rotted tires, radiator leaks, holding tank problems... the list goes on.
One further thing, my wife and I have a small motor home and we don't find it a chore making up the bedding; it's just one more small thing to do. Not a biggy like striking a tent, etc.
Welcome to our country, and I hope you will keep us informed of any problems, etc.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garden City , Victoria
I intend to buy one and leave it in Seattle while I go home for 1 or 2 months then return and travel up through Canada and Alaska for a few months or more, renting seems expensive to me as they want your first born child as payment up to $1,000 a week for something middle of the road.

Thanks Ben
benf39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Buy something used that looks like it would be fun to drive.
Imagine it in all your photos too.
The old GMCs and of course Airstreams can be found for a good price.
Class C would be good for getting around it tight spots.
Probably find a rear queen or a set of twins in something above 25'.

I would recommend something with a GM drive train, as they have a large following in parts available almost everywhere, and more know how to fix them.

As always, buying some used is going to be part of the adventure.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome a board the forum, and welcome to your new second home. You automatically have a new network of friends in the forum. The Air Stream has a quality of being, well part of something bigger than just RVing.

It is your preferance, but for me the benifit of a seperate trailer and tow vehicle would be the draw. If you have a good solid, well matched TV I think you are better off, especially in more challanging stretches of the trip. You also have the advantage of being able to shed the trailer for local travel. Yes, you could tow a small vehicle with a MH...but if a TV breaks down and goes in the shop, you need transportation, if a motor home breaks down, you need a roof over your head. I've speant a week in Barstow in a motel...would rather have my trailer

True, buying vintage may not be the route, but it is safe to buy a nicely treated unit...carefully.

Best of luck and hope to see you on your travels.

Ron and Terry