Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Paint for Hitch and Rear Bumper Top

Can anyone recommend the correct paint color to match the dark gray for the hitch and the rear bumper top for the Classic? I prefer a spray can. is this usually carried at any Airstream dealership?

I've searched the forums and Out of Doors Mart has a 12oz can but at $18 and then $11 shipping I'm looking to see if there is another source.

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I live close to ODM and have bought a couple of spray cans from them to do touch up work. (I have a can in front of me right now.) I don't think you can possibly match this stuff. It's made especially for Airstream. "360260-100 Pewter Gray" It even has "AIRSTREAM" on the back of the can.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The Airstream color is Pewter Gray part number 360260-100. It's very expensive...$23 at my local Airstream Dealer, and it's a close but not a perfect match on my 2005. Sears used to make a spray paint, I think it was called Tool Box Gray, that was a great match, but I've been unable to find it anymore. I did some testing with some other paints but was unable to find a good match. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Airstream paint...sigh....
Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
AS Can Spray Paint:
1. Very expensive!
2. I've found over the years spray can paint doesn't hold up nearly as well as high quality can paint on my trailers (have eight) and equipment.
Why not go to Dunn Edwards and have them match the color with high quality gallon of paint - same price for a gallon as for your AS spray can paint, and will last a lot longer longer.
You can either brush, roll or spray it on.
Spray cans are easy - I use them on non-important things when I'm lazy, but not when rust is in involved on frame, etc.
Also always use an undercoater - waste of time and paint if you don't.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
riverbend

1999 25' Safari
Wasaga Beach , Ontario
Perfect match for pewter gray bumper paint

I went through same frustrations with Airstream pewter gray bumper paint (360260-100) as other posts. Remained tacky for days, pebbly when applied, expensive per can. Also was not satisfied with recommended off the shelf color matches as posted. I finally did the obvious and went to local Home Hardware Store (Canadian equivalent to Ace) and they were able to color match perfectly with their equivalent to Restoleum (non spray). I spray primed the areas for recoat and applied paint with combination of brush and foam roller. The result has exceeded my expectations and all for $20.

25 foot 1999 Safari wide body
Fraserg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The problem is I having nothing to take down to the hardware store for them to take a match. I can't think of an easily removable part to take into the store. I'm probably going to buy a few cans of the spray paint.

Kelvin
Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I had Sherman Williams do a color match for the A-frame and front banana wraps. The color is about spot on for our 2001 Limited. It's oil based and in a can ( applied with roller and fine foam and hit the edges and corners with a nice brush)
The roller DID leave a bit of texture on the wraps, but overall I was pleased.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I used Rustoleum charcoal gray in a spray can. It's a little darker than original. But just tape off the front of AS, remove tank cover and tanks and spray everything, a-frame, battery box and jack frame. No one will know the difference.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
If the Sherwin Williams match is good and you want to spray it, you can get a 'preval' spray bottle from HD or Sherwin Williams. It is a glass jar with a spray head. You can put any kind of paint in it. It will probably have to be thinned with mineral spirits to get it thin enough. You can fill up the glass jar two or three times before the spray head runs out of air. They cost around $5.00.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks everyone. I was going to take the top part of my hitch jack since its painted to match and let them take the sample off that color.

When touching up rusty areas of the A frame do you just take a wire wheel in a drill and remove the rust to the bare metal and then paint or do you spray a primer on first?

Also, I'm getting a new Airstream jack and its not painted with the Pewter color. It's supposed to be painted with a light grey. Can I just spray over the base paint?

Kelvin
Old 10-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For future reference, there are two different colors for the A frame and other painted parts. One is Pewter Grey (somewhat older late models) and metallic grey (newer late models).
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
riverbend

1999 25' Safari
Wasaga Beach , Ontario
I have a patch of aluminium sprayed with exact color (360260-100). I can mail you a square of it for color matching if that would help. Just email me your address at fraser@auracom.com
Fraserg is offline   Reply With Quote