Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
reno , Nevada
Heater suggestions

Greetings everyone,

I just recently purchased a 1966 Overlander. It is an adventure for sure and I am happy to get started on refurbishing it. I'm in the middle of squaring away the exterior with fresh caulking, vents, etc. Next month it will be new pex plumbing. I will certainly have questions for the forum and have really appreciated all that I have read so far.

The furnace needs replacing as well as the water heater and am hoping to get some suggestions as to what works well in those departments and brand names. Furnace wise I will be staying in it till the weather gets truly cold and maybe then some Are any particular furnaces better suited for colder weather?

I would like to get an electric/propane H20 heater versus just propane. Does the wiring have need to have anything done to it to accommodate that? Any suggestions as to brands? Currently it is a 6 gallon tank.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8852.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	195925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8850.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	195926  

zopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Bruce- congrats on your find. I would recommend a Suburban NT-30 for the furnace and an Atwood 6gal. DSI (direct spark ignition) Elect./Propane for the water heater. I have installed both in my Safari. Install is pretty easy.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You'll need a 120V source near the water heater, and if you don't already have a DSI unit for the propane-only water heater, you'll need 12V power there and a couple of switches wired in (one for propane, one for 120v).

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Bruce,

Welcome to the forums and your 'new-to-you' trailer looks great!

My plans are to do the same and running the new 12V DC leads and 120V AC wiring isn't that hard of a job.

Good Luck and look forward to seeing more of your interior layout.

Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopolo View Post
The furnace needs replacing as well as the water heater and am hoping to get some suggestions as to what works well in those departments and brand names. Furnace wise I will be staying in it till the weather gets truly cold and maybe then some Are any particular furnaces better suited for colder weather?
Get something around 24,000 BTU/h. More BTU isn't necessarily better but you may find that in some product lines that is between sizes so you will have to go a little larger. That should carry you down to around 0 degrees with no wind with a 72 degree interior.

Suburban and Atwood are both good with the main difference being that Atwood is serviced from the exterior and for this reason requires a larger exterior door. Suburban is serviced from the interior and therefore requires some sort of access from inside and can't be completely buried under nonremovable cabinetry. Both are quality products.

Quote:
I would like to get an electric/propane H20 heater versus just propane. Does the wiring have need to have anything done to it to accommodate that? Any suggestions as to brands? Currently it is a 6 gallon tank.
The electric-capable water heaters draw 1500 watts and should have their own circuit and their own circuit breaker. There is an RVIA/NEC limit on the number and size of thermostatically controlled loads in a trailer with only 30a service so some might say that you need to upgrade to 50a service if you also have an air conditioner and microwave.

As others have pointed out you will need some 12v wiring for power and controls for a modern DSI water heater.

If you are replacing the original Bowen water heater you can use either Atwood or Suburban. Some people have been able to re-use the exterior shroud although I don't think either Atwood or Suburban encourage that. Otherwise if you have an Atwood or Suburban now you should replace with the same brand because they are different shapes.

Both are good products although Atwood is slightly lighter and has a corrosion resistant tank that doesn't require an anode.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The electric-capable water heaters draw 1500 watts and should have their own circuit and their own circuit breaker. There is an RVIA/NEC limit on the number and size of thermostatically controlled loads in a trailer with only 30a service so some might say that you need to upgrade to 50a service if you also have an air conditioner and microwave.
Airstream would NOT say you need to go to a 50A service for a gas/electric water heater, microwave and 1 air conditioner, they prove this on a daily basis by building them that way each day with 30A service.

Of course it is still very important to keep total electric load in mind with any trailer, especially with 30A service, and you can't use all appliances at the same time.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
reno , Nevada
thanks for the heater suggestions

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions about the heaters for the Overlander. Sorry to not get back right away.

The exterior is squared away and sealed so now I can turn my attention fully to the plumbing and furnace. Fortunately a good friend of mine who is a General contractor/ electrical contractor (and a very good plumber to boot), said he would take the lead on doing this part of the project. So I can be his assistant and learn.

I have a couple of questions to throw out there:

One is regarding the tub and bathroom sink piping. If we am going to run pex all the way to the tub and sink fixtures, will I have to remove the fiberglass tub/sink structure to access the fixture connections properly? Don't have a problem with this if it is the best way. I suppose for thoroughness sake the copper should be replaced all the way to the fixtures and not just simply attach the new pex lines to the copper lead lines going into the fiberglass tub/sink structure. That would be easier but it would also be a potential weak spot. Opinions?

FYI...There is no toilet now and I am not going to put one back in but going for the Thetford Porta Potty a la Touring Dan's improvement (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...s-94152-3.html) The old owner hacked the fiberglass toilet seating structure in half but the tub and sink portion is good and I want to preserve that.

The other question I have is about the Univolt 30 that is still functional and in the trailer now. Would now be a good time to replace it? Or does "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" apply here?

Again, thanks for everyone's interest and suggestions. It's great to have other Overlander owners and their experience as a resource.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
reno , Nevada
Just answered one of my own questions.

I just too a good look at the tub and sink fiberglass surround I found the access holes for the fixtures. Never realized it was there. So please ignore my first question on the last post!

Bruce
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hi Bruce , here is what I did w/ my bath on my 65 overlander ( I stole the ideA from another forum member!)it requires reconfiguring drain pipes but end result is far better than original .

Name:	image-1278404681.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	196219

Name:	image-2218724760.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	196220
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopolo View Post
The other question I have is about the Univolt 30 that is still functional and in the trailer now. Would now be a good time to replace it? Or does "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" apply here?

Bruce
Now would be a good time to replace it. Even when working well the old Univolts were hard on batteries and much worse for AGM batteries.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote