Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I just located the axle exactly where it was before but on the opposite side of the leafsprings. I have not towed it with the shell on but didn't have any trouble without the shell. I'll keep you posted after I marry the shell and the chassis.
54breadloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
So, without a proper template for the shape of the corners on the subfloor, I lowered the shell to the oversized floor and drew a line, then made the cuts. After installing the U channel, I found that the shell doesn't fit so I need to remove the U channel in the rear and trim off about 3/4" off each corner of the floor. I'll make a pattern so that each side will be identical. Then, I'll trim the U channel and re-install. This should also give me a little more slack in the front that fit really tight and there was no way the belly skin was going to slide up between the channel and the shell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1570866688.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	170567  
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
where did you get the insulation from? any local big box store? do you know the R factor on it?
thanks again for sharing!
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
The insulation came with the trailer. PO had purchased it but had not installed it. I'm pretty sure you could buy it at your local home center.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54breadloaf View Post
So, without a proper template for the shape of the corners on the subfloor, I lowered the shell to the oversized floor and drew a line, then made the cuts. After installing the U channel, I found that the shell doesn't fit so I need to remove the U channel in the rear and trim off about 3/4" off each corner of the floor. I'll make a pattern so that each side will be identical. Then, I'll trim the U channel and re-install. This should also give me a little more slack in the front that fit really tight and there was no way the belly skin was going to slide up between the channel and the shell.
Hey Breadloaf....I think typically the belly pans are attached (sparingly riveted to the channel) prior to setting the shell back down. From your post, it sounds like you'll be trying to slide the belly pan back up between the channel and skin. It sounds possible, but maybe harder than it could be. I wished your shell fit down nicely....hate to see you have to go back and re-trim the floor. I have my floor now completely coated with the West Epoxy, so I know how expensive that stuff is!!! Great progress...keep up the good work!

Lee
riv-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Hi Lee, I did have to trim the floor several times trying to get the perfect fit. Each time, I then coated the fresh wood cut off edge with 5 minute epoxy to re-seal it. I would like to have gotten the belly skin done before setting the shell back down but had to get the shell out of my cousins front yard. With the new holding tanks hanging below the level of the belly skins, ill have to customize something to cover them. I plan to put all of the standard belly skin on, then make a one piece cover for the tanks that I can remove if I need to work on the tanks in the future.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54breadloaf View Post
Hi Lee, I did have to trim the floor several times trying to get the perfect fit. Each time, I then coated the fresh wood cut off edge with 5 minute epoxy to re-seal it. I would like to have gotten the belly skin done before setting the shell back down but had to get the shell out of my cousins front yard. With the new holding tanks hanging below the level of the belly skins, ill have to customize something to cover them. I plan to put all of the standard belly skin on, then make a one piece cover for the tanks that I can remove if I need to work on the tanks in the future.
I atcually buckeled one corner of my trailer because the subfloor was a little too long. So lift, trim and reskin the rear lower panels. I would suggest the large flange pop rivets from VTS for the belly they work great!! Nice work keep it up!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote