Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Stubborn Stringers- Help Needed...

I have searched and searched and there isn't anything in the forum about stringers.... I have removed some of my interior skins, and the Horizontal stringers were all facing different directions and then others were not completely connected.... I got a few of them to go back onto the receiver easily. However, there are two that are being a real pain. I first wanted to get them off, then was having so much trouble getting it off that I tweaked it enough that it had too come off, so I could fix it. Now fixed, I wanted to re-install it. Nope.... It wasn't going no matter how much I prodded it. I have reached the point of, any more persuasion will result in damage. I have had similar trouble with several others, in getting them to seat correctly.
Am I doing something wrong? WHY is this so hard to do? Can anyone that has removed and re-installed theirs give me a tip or two?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Hi Todd,
Is there any way you could post some pictures of what you are doing so I might be able to help? I Understand stringers to be a part of the frame of the trailer, under the floor. You have a different understanding of what it means, and a picture would clarify it.
Have you had any luck selling your refer yet? I saw it on Craigslist a couple of times.
Good luck, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Stringers are the long extrusions that rivets on to the side walls. Then you have the snap on bars that are cut to various lengths. With the flat side of the bar facing up hang the back of the bar's (C shaped)top lip over the top edge of the protruding part of stringer bar. It should hang on the edge, now taking a rubber mallet( put some pressure on bar with your other hand so bar doesn't pop off when youtap on it) and tap down along the outside edge of bar and it should snap on the stringer.To remove a bar tap from the bottom up stating at the end of bar.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks for the great reply. I looked more carefully at the riveted strip on the skin, and it must be bent slightly, as well as the stringer being bent... It just didn't want to seat properly. I had to cut the longest one in half and then replace it. That made it go on much easier. It's really absurd that when I took the interior skins down, so many of the stringers were installed so hap-hazardly... I have found several instances of very poor quality control in my AS. Some comming from the factory, and a bit more comming from a recent remodel by the PO.
Thanks again for the quick reply. I hope to not have to deal with any more of them.
Viking- I did sell the Refer. It went to another renovation project in Hayward? I think. The guy that bought it also bought all my old extrusions. I only have a Univolt and Water pump left to get rid of...