Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhilsdorf
I'm feeling brave, once I add the insurance. Too hard to do it 'legally', and not worth another 60 gallons of fuel after I've looked at it to come back with NY plates.

Question
How do I bring a vehicle I purchased in NYS to another state to register it in the other state? How do I bring a vehicle I purchased in NYS to another part of NYS to register it? Answer At a DMV office, you can apply for an in-transit permit that is valid for 30 days. You can use a NYS in-transit permit to transport the vehicle to another location in NYS or to another state where you will register the vehicle. You cannot use a NYS in-transit permit to transport a vehicle from another state into NYS. Contact the motor vehicle agency in the state where the vehicle is located.
I agree, I would get the insurance and go for it. I don't belive the Highway Patrol have it in for the owners of Airstreams. I would check my lights and be sure they work as that is about all I can think of that might get their attention. Let us know the outcome.

Good Luck Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
You might try contacting a Title Service Agent, they might be able to provide the same service that you could get from a dealer.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
I recently purchased an '84 Excella 270 Motor Home from an idividual in Texas via EBay.

Here are the steps I took to legally bring the vehicle back home to NY. I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

1] I called the DMV in NY and Texas for advice.

2] I secured the VIN from the seller and bought insurance from my local agent with coverage to begin on the day of pickup in Texas.

3] I printed out the purchase form [DTF-802] for NY from the NY DMV
website and filled in the parts I could before I flew to Texas.

4] Upon arrival and delivery of the vehicle, I asked for and received a bill of sale stating the VIN, the price, the buyer, the seller, and the date.

5] The seller transferred ownership to me by filling out the appropriate spaces on the Texas title.

6] The seller and I traveled to the County Tax Office whereupon I
presented my insurance form, the Texas title and $25 to receive a Texas temporary [30 day] cardboard plate. The title and insurance card was returned to me. Had the seller's Texas registration been current [it was recently expired] I COULD have driven home on his plate and saved the $25.

7] At another desk in the same office the seller and I signed the bill of sale in front of a Notary Public who stamped it for a fee of $10.

8] I affixed the temporary plate to the motorhome and drove it uneventfully to NY.

9] Once home in NY, I completed the NY DMV Form [MV-82] for registration of a vehicle, presented the notarized bill of sale, the insurance card, the Texas title, and the previously completed form [DTF-802], paid the sales tax plus registration fee, and was presented my new plates and a 15 day inspection waiver.

10] With a valid NY inspection, my registration was complete. I now await the NY title which will arrive shortly from Albany.

John Wolfe
'84 Excella 270 MH
'85 Avion 30-P TT
'97 E-350 V-10 Van
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote