Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
No I dont think you can use it to pull in another wire or cable, all the wiring runs through small holes in the structural beams and is "gunked" into place at many locations.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
There was another thread on this exact subject and camera. Andy at In-Land RV got very involved and I must say that I did not agree with his assesment. I have been trying to get this unit to work properly from the back of our Safari and so far, no mater what we did we would get reception in the truck only when in tunnels, go figure. My opinion is that you get what you pay for and it was a waste of my time and money. As for using it to hook up, there are a lot of better ways to do it with less expensive devises that don't clutter up you dashboard or cockpit!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I use my wife's eyes as my "don't let me hit anything while I'm backing up" and just put the trailer where I want it. She does help me back it up onto some LinksLevelers we keep in place at the end of our drive way rather than re-stack them every time we bring the Airstream home. But for the most part, I'd do it by myself if I had a usable back up camera. I guess I'll have to run the cable through the belly pan if I ever get one.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
There was another thread on this exact subject and camera. Andy at In-Land RV got very involved and I must say that I did not agree with his assesment. I have been trying to get this unit to work properly from the back of our Safari and so far, no mater what we did we would get reception in the truck only when in tunnels, go figure. My opinion is that you get what you pay for and it was a waste of my time and money. As for using it to hook up, there are a lot of better ways to do it with less expensive devises that don't clutter up you dashboard or cockpit!
The key to proper functioning of the camera from a distance, is the length of the plus wire on the camera, since it is the transmitting antenna.

If that wire is cut short, the range becomes very short.

We have also tested it on a 34 foot trailer, with excellent results.

Having the camera on for hours at a time, has been trouble free, without exception.

The camera, is a transmitter, and as such, must have an adequate antenna length.

There is a warning that comes with the camera that states the 12 volt wire must be a certain minimum length.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
On my camera I didn't cut off any wire. I look the length and tried a zillion positions to no avail. I guess if I owned an Austin Mini I would be a happy camper .

I'll have to agree with rickandsandi that you get what you pay for. My camera is still on the back of the Bambi, but I have since relyed on my lovely wife to talking me through backing up with a walkie talkie... now that combo works great every time!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
On my camera I didn't cut off any wire. I look the length and tried a zillion positions to no avail. I guess if I owned an Austin Mini I would be a happy camper .

I'll have to agree with rickandsandi that you get what you pay for. My camera is still on the back of the Bambi, but I have since relyed on my lovely wife to talking me through backing up with a walkie talkie... now that combo works great every time!
Perhaps you have a setup that isn't up to par, by not meeting the manufacturers specs. Defects do happen.

We installed the same camera on the "makeover," which is a 29 foot Airstream, and it works great.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Another thread to check out

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...era-38110.html
Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
FrankS's comments pretty well jive with my experience using this camera ($99 at Canadian Tire) with ONE exception: The range is pretty good in my experience.

We often drive past someone on the road who has one on, and we can see his image on our monitor. Also, I see some folks are using them for security devices: there's a place we usually stop at on our way to Ottawa whose camera we pick up and I can see the camera, about 50' away from where I always park.

I agree with the so-so image thing. You can tell if there is a vehicle or a person, but you won't make out any medium or small details.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
My experience with wired cameras

I also investigated backup cameras. because of others' experiences in poor reception, and irritation with cheap wiring, I bought $1,000 worth of commercial grade cameras. What did I get that $300 didn't?
* heavy duty wiring and enough of it.
* a bright monitor that will switch between truck and trailer camera
* heavy duty waterproof connections and a spiral cable (looks like a real trucker cable between trailer and truck.
* good instructions
* Plenty of signal
* auto heaters in the cameras to prevent fogging (betcha didn't know that could happen)
* ir for night vision (helpful when backing at night)
* pressure-wash proof

I know I paid a lot for it, but it works, and every time. For a year now and
over 10,000 miles.

What I didn't like:
*The first cable that came with it broke. They sent a new one.
* Though you can control contrast and brightness, it is not automatic. If cloudy, you need to adjust. I believe the new models have a day/night mode.
* Fisheye in the back of the trailer could be a bit narrower.
* rain gets on camera occasionally and blurs. I use rain-ex to minimize this. However, mud needs to be wiped off.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I agree.. you get what you pay for. My $99 camera is buried in the basement under a pile of junk. Saw the monitor in another box too the other day. It'll be staying there for good.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
ok for me..

I still use the "cheep one"

You can see why
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAMERA TEST 028.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	71985  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
back up camera is a dream to hook a Hensley Hitch. it is mounted on the upper part of my license plate bracket on my 05 excursion. also have installed running lights under the rear bumper on a separate switch for extended night time vision. much better than back up lights that only work when truck is in reverse.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote