Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Rear View Camera Question

We have been towing our AS around since 2011 and other trailers before that. When backing my wife is the spotter to keep me from hitting any trees etc... We have never hit anything but at times the communication is frustrating. I have been thinking about adding a backup camera system to help out with the spotting job. I am not looking for a system to use for any purpose other than backing into a camping space situation.

It seems to me the most critical view is from the front corners of the trailer looking back. My biggest area of rear viewing concern is seeing the area around the "blind side" of the trailer. By the blind side I mean when you are in backing position where the truck mirrors do not show you one side of the trailer.

Have any of you mounted rear view cameras that will give you a good view of both sides of the trailer while backing? Do you with cameras on the rear of the trailer feel you have adequate blind side protection? I don't want to spend money on a system that won't resolve what I see as the main problem for me.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I got our camera for rear view on the road.
The DW is a lot louder and will illicit a response reaction much sooner when parking.🥴
I mounted it with high strength velcro centered over the window and ran the power wire under the weatherstrip to the 12v outlet between the beds.(no holes needed)

I always try to back over my left shoulder so the entire trailer is visible. Steering hand a six o'clock, swing hand left and the rear of the trailer goes left...it always helps when you try to do the procedure as slow as possible.

Bob
🇺🇸

POI...our camera does have grid lines that do match the side of the trailer pretty well, they do help when backing, you would need side cameras to get a compleate view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2161.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	361669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02323.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	361670  

Old 02-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I have a Voyager camera mounted on the trailer, for seeing traffic behind me and for use when backing up. It’s always on and works great as a rear view “mirror” when driving. When I pass a car and can see it on screen, it’s safe to move back over.

You should be able to see the sides of the truck and trailer if the mirrors are properly adjusted. If I can’t see the sides because of angle, etc, and think I’m close on that side, I get out and look. I never use a spotter. I ask my wife to say something ONLY if I’m about to hit something. Often someone will see this and come running over, and start making steering wheel gestures or waving. I always tell them thanks, but I can see or I don’t move.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you can't see in the mirrors, get out and walk around.
Yep, a pain, but not as big a pain as a dent.
I have a Garmin BC-30 mounted inside the rear window. It uses the Garmin GPS as a monitor. Never looses the signal, there is a delay (as there is with all wireless cameras) I estimate to be 15' at 65 mph.
At backing speed, the delay is not noticeable.
My only nit pick is the resolution is not what I wish. When backing a shadow may be a bush or vice-versa. I still get out and look.

Having a spotter is great IF the spotter keeps you informed. Having them watch you back into a tree is not good for happy camping.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A backup camera is a great tool, but probably the most important one is something you (or your spotter) already do.

Remember your GOAL:
Get
Out
And
Look.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Scotts Valley , California
I agree with what everyone has said. I installed a camera (look for the thread I started) as this was our first trailer and I thought it was essential.

But the resolution isn’t great as a backup camera.

It works great as a rear view camera for changing lanes.

It doesn’t help with the blind side or seeing high objects like rafters or trees that are close to the upper corners

I get out and look at any time I have a concern and prefer not to rely on another person

I’d say our camera setup eliminates a third to a half of the times I’d want to get out and look. Which is still helpful but not as much as I’d hoped.

I like the idea of running the power wire under the window gasket for easy install.
25Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I have a Rear View Safety wired camera installed at the Airstream license plate. Having it at plate-level makes lens cleaning easy. The monitor replaced the rearview mirror. I also have a camera on the rear door of my windowless bed topper, I use it when not hitched. I installed this system because I want to see what's behind me on the road for which it is excellent.

I don't find it particularly useful when backing into campsites. However, the trailer camera has a microphone that is pretty sensitive. It will send your guide person's verbal advice and warnings to the monitor speaker.

As others recommend I get out and look if I'm not sure where I'm going.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
Try communicating with your spotter via cellphones.
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by fthopkins View Post
Try communicating with your spotter via cellphones.
We use the cellphone when backing into the driveway at home. We typically do not camp at parks with cell service. Perhaps a cheap set of walkie talkies would fill the bill vs an expensive rear view camera.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We use a cheap set of "family" talkies, did a similar thing on the boat for anchoring. But, be advised, spousal communications are not always what one hopes. Even after years of trying to develop clarity, I do not hear much after STOP. And then there is always whose right or left? Port and stbd fixed that on the boat, but she will not adopt port and stbd for the Airstream. And....judging distances or even guessing them is not something she does. I often find it is easier to just get out and look, which only prompts cold silence. Oh...I do have a backup camera on the trailer, as well.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loveland , Colorado
The biggest problem with the image from a backup camera is the fact that it gives a direct backward view, because I'm used to the "flipped" image from a rear view mirror. So the camera image disagrees with the mirror image that I am accustomed to from 40+ years of driving. I wish the camera offered a "mirror image" mode that I could select.
zenman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman60 View Post
The biggest problem with the image from a backup camera is the fact that it gives a direct backward view, because I'm used to the "flipped" image from a rear view mirror. So the camera image disagrees with the mirror image that I am accustomed to from 40+ years of driving. I wish the camera offered a "mirror image" mode that I could select.
My $60 Bluetooth rear view camera will flip the view on my iPad easily.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Ditto, ditto, ditto and on and on and on. After years and years and miles and miles it never changes. 15 rt’s ME to AK SAME STORY! Back up camera helpful but get out of the truck and GO LOOK. Best place for your partner during trailer-backing into a difficult space is two miles down the road at a bar having a Martini.
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhphhoward View Post
Ditto, ditto, ditto and on and on and on. After years and years and miles and miles it never changes. 15 rt’s ME to AK SAME STORY! Back up camera helpful but get out of the truck and GO LOOK. Best place for your partner during trailer-backing into a difficult space is two miles down the road at a bar having a Martini.
Well said
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
Rear View Camera

+ 1 on a set of walkie talkies and doing a walk around before an if in doubt i.e. need some reassurance spotter and you agree. I have a rear view camera and almost find it to be a distraction, maybe if view was a little different I'd have more confidence in it. Also, before starting to back have a pre brief with spotter to ensure left is left and right is right. Better to say driver and passenger side that eliminates any confusion when spotter wants you to move one direction or another.
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
I guess I’m just lucky. Rather than dropping my wife at a bar miles away, she stays with me and acts as a spotter and does an excellent job. We park out 9.5’ wide boat in a 10’ wide garage many times each summer and have never touched anything. We have parked our trailers in some terrible spots many times on camping trips without and scrapes or dings. As I said, I guess I’m just lucky but thus far after 35 years of towing boats and trailers, I will stay with my spotter.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhphhoward View Post
Amen. Spotter is great but if you have the steering wheel in your hands YOU are responsible for backing up.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
I have a Garmin BC 30 camera in the back window too. No need for an extra monitor is a plus. Resolution isn't great, but works quickly in a pinch. Have thought about hanging my old Gopro camera in the back window. Better resolution. Just as wide an angle. Another monitor though.

Just got a new TV with the invisible trailer option. Not sure I want to put another camera on the back of the TT and run the cable under the TT or through it.

Stay with the Garmin for now,

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I had a Garmin for years and I upgraded when my new TV had a camera option. I think the Garmin resolution is far inferior to almost any other option out there.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I had a Garmin for years and I upgraded when my new TV had a camera option. I think the Garmin resolution is far inferior to almost any other option out there.

Larry

Not sure if it’s inferior to all others but it’s in the running for the title. Resolution is poor I’ve tried to see placed objects as tests, yuck.

Yes I own a Garmin and BC30 camera.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote