Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Garmin introduced the BC-40 with 720 resolution.
Battery power, wireless.
But it's not compatible with the RV-770 GPS so I lost interest.

The BC-30 resolution is 290.
It's great for watching who's coming up behind you on the highway, but is marginal for backing into a campsite. It is handy for watching the edge of the pad, or a tree behind you, but at a VHS copy resolution. Mine is set so I can just see the rear bumper (very wide angle) and I have a cone marking where I want to stop in my storage spot. Good for that.

For comparison, the Furrion camera is 720 and the Voyager is 480.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loveland , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleR View Post
My $60 Bluetooth rear view camera will flip the view on my iPad easily.
Figures. I have the factory-installed unit.
zenman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Go with the Voyager. The 7in monitor adds more cost, but it also adds better visual information.

You do not need cell phone or walkie talkies. You need a spotter and you need to see them in the mirrors. Hand signals to start or stop. Stop if you can't see your spotter. Get out, develop a plan and communicate the plan. If you can't see, you need a new plan. Pylons, a rope, or a set of flashlights can help you be where you want to be as you move back.

Do not ignore the value of a better rear view while traveling. It all helps. Camera does not replace mirror. The mirror is better resolution, but the camera helps a lot.

Good luck with your travel. Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman60 View Post
The biggest problem with the image from a backup camera is the fact that it gives a direct backward view, because I'm used to the "flipped" image from a rear view mirror.
Cameras intended as back up cameras do have a 'flip' called 'reverse scan'. But, for instance, you could not take a GoPro camera and just point it backwards.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
We also have a Voyager camera which has nearly 180° coverage. We see countless couples shouting and waving at each other, often fighting over confusing directions. We use walkie talkies, and use passenger and driver side for directionality not "over here, or left or right" which breeds confusion and crashes.
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Seven Springs , North Carolina
We have a camera on the back but rarely use it. When backing I have my phone and my husband has his on speaker and we communicate that way. We also have 4 bright orange cones that we set up ...he can easily see the cones. These are a couple suggestions that may do the truck and save you that money!
Gflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
The OP asked about seeing down the side of the trailer. I found a Furrion display at the dealer when we were buying our AS. They offer cameras that are integrated in side marker lights. Probably a pricey solution but would seem to be quite effective.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
We have used it all over the years. We worked out who parks (me) and who directs (her). I agree that the backup camera is useful for keeping track of traffic behind you while changing lanes, and being aware of potential obstacles when backing up. Also helpful is our Ram truck's sensors taking into account the length of the trailer to give us side to side blind spot warnings when changing lanes or parking. Walkies or cells are better than yelling, but practice and experience have been the best tools. I've gotten pretty good at backing into tight places. I always get out and look before backing up to get the lay of the land, position my wife in the side view mirror nearest potential obstacles and she uses our agreed-upon hand signals to ease into place. This works really well for me when it is raining cats & dogs
Then we have a Stella or Grey Goose martini together at the Bambi Bar & Grill!
Old 03-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #29
RV Engineer

1995 34' Excella
1977 27' Overlander
Winder , Georgia
I like the rear view safety system. I have a 4 camera system. One on back of AS. One on back of truck for hitching and one on each side near the front of AS looking down both sides.

The Furrion system with marker light style cameras is nice too to have power available and avoid new holes in the skin.

Mark Spears
Atlanta RV
Winder GA
AtlantaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Butternut , Wisconsin
I'm looking for a wired rear view camera system to mount on my
Airstream license plate. What make/model are you using? Thanks.
TradeWind222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Satisfied with the stock camera but rarely use it. Wife is a huge help.