Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
On battery life, Mossberg said..

" Like the iPod, but unlike most cellphones, the iPhone lacks a removable battery. So you can't carry a spare. But its battery life is excellent. In our tests, it got seven hours and 18 minutes of continuous talk time, while the Wi-Fi was on and email was constantly being fetched in the background. That's close to Apple's claim of a maximum of eight hours, and far exceeds the talk time claims of other smart phones, which usually top out at five and a half hours."

OTOH, I read in that there was a problem with transfer of original cell numbers for some with the iphone, so some folks are still troubleshooting not having their numbers, etc.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #22

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
ok, I got one.

Despite the fact that I usually steer clear of revision 1 of anything, I couldn't resist getting my new iPhone. I am very impressed by the touch screen. I have never used or seen one that worked so well. I'll admit, there a few things that my Nokia smart phone can do the the iPhone cannot such as bluetooth file transfers and ssh but overall this thing is nothing short of revolutionary. AND DURABLE! check this link...
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
T-Man,

You're one of the lucky 1,000,000 or so. I just checked the Apple site to see whether our local store in Corte Madera had any iPhones in stock (they along with 17 other stores in California sold out on the first day) and alas no. I checked other stores in California, but all stores were sold out. I did notice two in Oregon and one in Utah that had iPhones today. A bit of a long ride though.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
I did notice two in Oregon and one in Utah that had iPhones today. A bit of a long ride though.
Pack up that trailer and roll man!

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
T-Man,

You're one of the lucky 1,000,000 or so. I just checked the Apple site to see whether our local store in Corte Madera had any iPhones in stock (they along with 17 other stores in California sold out on the first day) and alas no. I checked other stores in California, but all stores were sold out. I did notice two in Oregon and one in Utah that had iPhones today. A bit of a long ride though.
There are plenty of both models from what I'm told, here in Illinois. PM me if you want to try to get one sooner than later.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Not so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
There are plenty of both models from what I'm told, here in Illinois. PM me if you want to try to get one sooner than later.
According to Apple, all 5 Illinois stores were out of iPhones by Tuesday. The Glendale store in Wisconsin and the West Des Moines store in Iowa and the Roseville store in Minnesota supposedly had iPhones on Tuesday, but may be out by now.

Our son called us on a display iPhone from the Michigan Avenue store on Monday and apparently the store had only a few of the 4 gig models for sale. The 8 gig model is far and away the most popular with some reports saying the over 90% of the sales are of the larger capacity versions. BTW the sound quality was quite good despite the background noise in the store.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
From what I understand it is still somewhat difficult to get to the battery, then when you do, it is soldered to the logic board. (I skimmed through one of those "We take an iPhone apart" Web sites the other day.)

Here's the link to the disassembly.

Susan
The soldered to the logic board would be a deal breaker for me even if it was under $50. And I even have a Mac.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Same concept as the iPod Stephanie. The reports I've heard is prior to release they did make some modifications to get better battery life but it is not user changeable. The reports also said the battery does better than most all of the other smart phones. Actually you're talking a $600 toy obsolete when the battery quits.
It costs $85 and 3 businesss days to get a new battery installed. This includes a check up of all parts and a clean-up. Just like the iPod.
I read somewhere you can even get a temporary iPhone if you di it through an Apple store.
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
my iPhone(s)

Got 2 iPhones on Friday.. wanted to camp over in my Trailer..but decided to just que up a few hours before opening time. I waited 4 hours... and met some nice people!

Now the phone... Setting up was very easy... but I had to switch from Verizon (had a horrible Treo) and that took a few hours, 8 to be precise.
With my new familyplan I save $50 a month over my previous plan, so that was a good start!

The iPhone is better then I expected, and my expectations were high. Even the Edge network is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Battery life is very good. Last time I charged the battery was on Sunday night and now, after several calls, some internet, watching some videos .. the battery is still at 70%.. way better then the Treo!

Some functions are still missing, but I'm sure we will get software updates with new apps and fine tuning on a regular basis through Itunes.
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Settings info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos10
Battery life is very good. Last time I charged the battery was on Sunday night and now, after several calls, some internet, watching some videos .. the battery is still at 70%.. way better then the Treo!
Have you seen the usage info in the settings? Nice to have and easy to find.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #31
_

. , .
so much for 'no cheaper versions'...

that took about a nano second...

Apple Plans Cheaper, Nano-Based Phone, Says JP Morgan -- IPhone -- InformationWeek

gotta love those 'unidentified sources'...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Never mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
so much for 'no cheaper versions'...

that took about a nano second...

Apple Plans Cheaper, Nano-Based Phone, Says JP Morgan -- IPhone -- InformationWeek

gotta love those 'unidentified sources'...

cheers
2air'

You've got to stay more current. Don't get caught up in old, unsubstantiated news.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...no_report.html

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
You've got to stay more current. Don't get caught up in old, unsubstantiated news.

AppleInsider | JP Morgan's US branch quashes iPhone nano report
i love it... more nanu news...

here's myiphone

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone.gif
Views:	122
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	40985  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #34
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
And, to those who say that they will wait until the bugs are fixed, all I can say is that you've been conditioned to believe that quality isn't likely in release 1 products. That's sad, and from all accounts is not true with the iPhone or frankly with any Apple product that I've used in years and years. If you are expecting perfection, then the wait will exceed your mortality. If you want superior products, stick with people who make quality and excellent customer experiences their first priority.
I do not really agree on that.
Even if apple provide good product they are far from good at first release. They had a lot of problem with Macbook... Screen, board, heat...
And mine had a big problem to burned DVD. And I was suppose to send it back for repair. From them it was an hardware problem. Though I couldn't send it back for repair as I need it a lot. So I lost a lot of new DVD to burn one. And few weeks ago a software updated the DVD burner and then it's ok. BTW it took them a year to come with a fix.
So I think do not on any kind of new product. First you'll pay full price, then it won't take long to see a better one with more memory etc... for less money.
There is a lot of example with first release "bad" product. Canon has a new pro camera the eos 1d3 and the AF is really bad.
I can't tell what's wrong but may be quality control or lack of development.

But the iphone sounds cool.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I'll live longer because of the iPhone!!!

Everyday when I feel stressed, I can hop on the web and read this site and others and dream of streaming!

I got one last week. All I can say is WOWWWWW!

No bugs found at all yet and I have done lots of testing on it.

Coverage is better for me than Verizon.

Edge network very acceptable - much faster than my blackberry.

I have had an ipod for 3+ years and have used it every day. I have never had to have the battery changed. I look at it as "green" in a way... A very good quality battery that lasts a long time. With my use, I got through 4+ days before it got to 20% charge left.

I love that it has built in speakers so you can have the speaker phone and play the ipod thourgh them - much more streamlined. The earphones that come with it are much more comfy than the original style. They have a clicker on the headphone to answer.

If you are interested, I would definately watch the videos on Apples web site. They are accurate and there are many other features than they show.

It is very intuitive.

I absolutely love it.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
I do not really agree on that.

So I think do not on any kind of new product. First you'll pay full price, then it won't take long to see a better one with more memory etc... for less money.
There is a lot of example with first release "bad" product. Canon has a new pro camera the eos 1d3 and the AF is really bad.
I can't tell what's wrong but may be quality control or lack of development.

But the iphone sounds cool.
Some people feel better when they defer gratification. I'm not one of those.

Hedonism is good.

Got my iPhone on Sunday and can hardly put it down. If there are bugs in this, then they have escaped my notice. During my 40+ years involved in software development, I've become quite good at breaking systems simply by doing stupid things with them. I haven't been able to cause the iPhone to fail yet and doubt that you would be able to either. Have some fun; grab the future of mobile computing; get an iPhone and have a ball.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #37
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Finally made it to an Apple Store yesterday and got to play with one. Pretty slick phone...and free calling from the Apple Store...of course, many folks didn't erase their numbers called.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Talking Wayyyy tooooo Expen$ive!!!

I'll settle for my FREE Motorola RAZR that I get for FREE every 2 years from Verizon. It has all that I need and then some!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Happy I spent the money. While not cheap, I now have a computer in my Pocket. I replaced four devices (laptop, iPhone, phone, Palm) with one. It fits MY needs perfectly.

My Motorola (V551) was the WORST phone I have owned for a long time. Moving to the RAZR would have pepetuated the same horrible phone interface. Even my wife gave up her Motorola for a new Samumng Sync. She only uses a phone for a phone and this works fine for her.

The iPhone is far from the perfect phone, but after dealing with the Motorola and other sub-par phones, the iPhone is like a match made in heaven.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #40
Certifiable

. , .
$12,600 is just too much for me ...

... but maybe we have a glamper out there who can swing it.

Check out Finding JTAG on the iPhone

What did you do on your summer vacation?