Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Murray , UT
Cellular Antenna Roof Mount

Hello All,

First time poster here. I have owned my 2015 Flying Cloud 25' FB for several months now and would like to mount a cellular antenna on the roof to connect with my cellular router located in the rear end overhead cabinet. My plan is to remove the radio antenna on the roof and utilize the existing hole to route the 2 cellular cables down into the overhead cabinet. I have already removed the access panel and inspected the wiring behind the clarion unit.

The antenna (Parsec Doberman) would be mounted on a bracket and the existing hole would be used to route the cable and sealed with a cord grip or something similar. I have searched the forum and seen where other fellow streamers have done something similar, but routed the cables down the fridge vent. I would prefer to avoid this if possible because the end cabinet is already setup nicely for electronics.

Has anyone else done something similar?
climb_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #2

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Parsec Husky on the roof

Hi,

I am looking for the same information for a 23FB Flying Cloud. I can't seem to find anything on the internet in regards to the best way to mount the cellular antenna on the roof and get the wiring down to the passenger side of the trailer in the upper cabinet where all of the electronics are located.

I keep seeing that people use the fridge vent, but that would put my cellular router on the other side of the trailer. Goal is to have it with all other electronics in the same cabinet and possibly route an ethernet cable down to the dinette where I will be working every day.

I know its only been about a week since you posted, but have you figured anything out in this regard?

Thanks
emw9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:25 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the intent is to act as a cell booster (which does not seem to be the case here), you want the device within a couple feet of your phone. Yes that seems a bit nutty, but that is how they work best.

If you are after a router, the best placement is towards the middle of the RV with no metal ( like the fridge ) blocking it to either side. Routing down the fridge vent and them putting the device in the mid ships wardrobe is pretty common.

The outside antenna needs to get mounted above any obstructions, but not so high that you knock it off going under things. Yes, it's impossible to do both those things at once. Either you put it high and worry about trees or you mount it close to the roof and accept the compromised coverage. Most pick option number two ....

3M VHB tape is a pretty common way to attach things like this to the roof. Study up on how to crawl on the roof properly before you get up there. It's very easy to nuke a panel by putting your weight in the wrong place.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by emw9091 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for the same information for a 23FB Flying Cloud. I can't seem to find anything on the internet in regards to the best way to mount the cellular antenna on the roof and get the wiring down to the passenger side of the trailer in the upper cabinet where all of the electronics are located.

I keep seeing that people use the fridge vent, but that would put my cellular router on the other side of the trailer. Goal is to have it with all other electronics in the same cabinet and possibly route an ethernet cable down to the dinette where I will be working every day.

I know its only been about a week since you posted, but have you figured anything out in this regard?

Thanks

If you're going to be routing an Ethernet cable anyways, you can look into using a wireless access point instead of the built in WiFi and slap it where you want it. Pepwave sells a standalone AP that works with their devices.
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Murray , UT
I got it installed and its working well!

climb_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Currently Looking...
Southern Pines , North Carolina
by a 3 footed magnetic cb mount and use VHB tape to adhere the magnets to the roof. Seal feet well with sealant. Then run the coax cable down the refrigerator roof vent and into the living area. Did this several years and 25k miles ago and worked great.

You may have to slide the frig out a few inches to get the cable in...
NC-Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
My install if it helps any.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/peplink-router-with-external-antenna-238469.html
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote