Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Would you believe that my better half went from" I'm not living in a trailer!!" to" maybe we should start thinking about selling the house and try fulltiming for awhile". Got take this one slow and easy, don't want to spook her, she may realize what she said.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
It takes two

Don't go for it if you both are not fully commited. We'v e been doing it for nine years and love it. No taxes, no insurance on house, can vacuum the whole house and never unplug, the house goes where we want to go, we see differant hummingbirds when we move and on and on. Actually, my wife led us into this lifestyle and it happened. Got rid of all that stuff and never missed it. Now we don't have room for it. Saving lots of money not buying stuff we didn't need in the first place. We're in a 34'. Oh!!A new golf shirt........one has to go. We both play golf and you know, ya gottan have balls. Good luck. Hope it happens for you. Like Terry said " You only go around once" or something like that.
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It's a date, not a marriage... FULLTIMING that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Would you believe that my better half went from" I'm not living in a trailer!!" to" maybe we should start thinking about selling the house and try fulltiming for awhile". Got take this one slow and easy, don't want to spook her, she may realize what she said.
Wow.

You might soften her up with the mere thought that "housework" normally takes 7 minutes a day if you're a neat freak, 7 minutes every other day if you're clean, and 7 minutes a week if you're squeeking by.

Another thought... set a timeframe, "Let's try it for 6 months. If you want out then, your word is law!" If you also both commit to doing fun activities together in the time you used to waste working around the house, you'll probably have her fulltiming for life.

Paula
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
8 years on hte road and loving it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
How many of you out there have thoughts of fulltiming? What keeps you from actually doing it? I've been ready to fulltime for at least two years, but the wife is dead against it.
Great question.

We have been on the road since September 2000; for the first 4 years on two motorcycles and for the last three on one motorcycle with sidecar.

This year we have returned to the USA last May. We took possession of our new tow vehicle (2008 Ford F250 FX4) two weeks ago tomorrow.

Next Tuesday we depart Oregon for New Jersey to take possession of our new 30' Classic. We will be using the truck to haul the MC/sidecar and tow the trailer. We will use this combination to cover North America as best we can. However, due to a snafu at the flat bed manufacturer we are starting out trip sans MC/sidecar; the flat bed did not get produced even though we ordered it three months in advance. Grrrrrr.

In our travels we have encountered many people who lust to get away from all the material possessions that house/home bring and simplify their lives. But, for every 10 that we find that want to get out of the "rat race" we encounter one who is not interested in the least. The response we hear most often when we tell people we have sold the house, the cars, given furniture to family and charitable causes and have very few items in storage from those who are not interested in this type of life style is, "Sell my home! I could never do that.". And, more often than not, this statement comes from the female of the species.

We have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people out there who MUST have a home to either return to or in which to live. For them a travel trailer or motor home just does not work as "home". In many cases the idea of living away from the home for more than a month or two is just too much for these folks.

For us the move into an Airstream is going to be a very big change from tent camping and hotels. We will have more square footage for "stuff" than we will know what to do with. Odds are we already have too much "stuff" packed in the boxes we will be hauling to New Jersey with us to furnish the Airstream.

To each his own.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
oh my, here i'm reading about people doing what i have only dreamed of doing. all you guys fulltiming and traveling with out all the stuff of a domesticated lifestyle. sounds absolutely fabulous! so here i am drewling through the posts. i'm not sure how someone like myself with a private practice (i'm a chiropractor) and a 16 months old baby boy and two aging dogs can ever think about fulltiming it across the country. working for myself in the service/healing arts field is a great way to make a living but, not if you like to travel. if i'm not in my office working...i'm not making a living. the longest i have ever been away from my practice is 14 days. maybe i should buy a lotto ticket...and get me an AS to start.

Sandra
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsbeddor
oh my, here i'm reading about people doing what i have only dreamed of doing. all you guys fulltiming and traveling with out all the stuff of a domesticated lifestyle. sounds absolutely fabulous! so here i am drewling through the posts. i'm not sure how someone like myself with a private practice (i'm a chiropractor) and a 16 months old baby boy and two aging dogs can ever think about fulltiming it across the country. working for myself in the service/healing arts field is a great way to make a living but, not if you like to travel. if i'm not in my office working...i'm not making a living. the longest i have ever been away from my practice is 14 days. maybe i should buy a lotto ticket...and get me an AS to start.

Sandra
Sandra,

I wouldn't count on the Lottery, but you sure can count on the Airstream!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea
Next Tuesday we depart Oregon for New Jersey to take possession of our new 30' Classic.
Hey Jim. We were dropping off our Safari for some service at Colonial and spent time talking to a guy who had just delivered a new 30' Classic- maybe that was yours.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
We've been on the road since May 2006. Loving every minute of it and do not find that a 30' Excella is too small at all - in fact it is just right for the two of us and the cocker spaniel.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #29
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Back and forth about it...
Looking forward to being free, at least for a few months of the year.
I'm gonna hang onto a few acres for a base.
Not sure about house, just gotta have a tinkering shop.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
A person does need a place for his/her tools, and from what I can see craftsmen are highly revered on this site. Luckily for me my sewing machine fits in anywhere. If I ever get to "full-time" I hope to be using it often.
Gwen
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Revered toolboxes

Gwen,
Okay, my top priority item for tomorrow is to photograph (do we still call it this when we are pixel imaging instead of exposing film?) and post here the tool shop end of my truck. It's very, well, tool-like.

We haven't found a place for the sewing machine quite yet but are pretty sure we will depend more on the toolbox to bail us out of trouble. I guess it depends upon one's definition of trouble . . .

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DeLand , Florida
Hi everyone, Ray Stevens here again, the guy interested in purchasing an Airstream and asking a lot of questions.

I am located in Florida, although I came from SW NY State. I miss the Fall of the the year up north with the changing leaves and the rolling hills.

Have been think about building a small cabin back there (Wellsville, NY). Then the idea of setting up an Airstream on some rural land came to mind. Would need to drill a well and install a septic tank or use a composting toilet with a grey-water run-off. Anyone ever install a small composting toilet in an AS?

My question, if I decided to stay there year around, would I be able to keep nice and warm when winter comes? What about water pipes? Use Heat Tapes? Perhaps putting some form of skirting around the base of the trailer with insulation?

Please share your ideas with me.

Thanks!

Ray
w2byo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Spent a few weeks in Colorado Springs area a couple of years ago... lived through 2 Blizzards ( with Interstates closed! Stayed warm in the Airstream but wouldn't recommend it as a lifestyle! We're in ours 9 months of the year now... have a spot yet in Northern MN that we call "home". Don't want to spend the winter where it's that cold tho'!!! Good luck on your decision.

Edee
Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Anything is Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2byo
Hi everyone, Ray Stevens here again, the guy interested in purchasing an Airstream and asking a lot of questions.

I am located in Florida, although I came from SW NY State. I miss the Fall of the the year up north with the changing leaves and the rolling hills.

Have been think about building a small cabin back there (Wellsville, NY). Then the idea of setting up an Airstream on some rural land came to mind. Would need to drill a well and install a septic tank or use a composting toilet with a grey-water run-off. Anyone ever install a small composting toilet in an AS?

My question, if I decided to stay there year around, would I be able to keep nice and warm when winter comes? What about water pipes? Use Heat Tapes? Perhaps putting some form of skirting around the base of the trailer with insulation?

Please share your ideas with me.

Thanks!

Ray
Ray,
There are electric composting toilets that would work.
We have a y in our septic line with a removable cap at ground level to allow our Airstream's waste to be dumped.
While waiting for our home to be delivered we used the Airstream with hay bales and plastic around the base, cozy.
There are folks that have built structures to keep snow off the roof and prevent the sun beating down on the trailer.
Some areas have restrictive zoning so you might want to check with the town or city hall.
With high fuel costs and as we get older the driving is not as fun, you might be on to something here.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Amelia Ct Hse , Virginia
I wish I could talk Grandma into selling out and going fulltime but she doesn't want to leave the Grandchildren. We do get to "camp" quite often. By the time they are grown, I will be too old to do it. Oh well.

"If wishes were horses, the beggars could ride".
nypatnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
[quote=Phil/EdeeStayed warm in the Airstream but wouldn't recommend it as a lifestyle! We're in ours 9 months of the year now...

Owning a 25' Classic and looking into trading up to a 34', I was wondering how living for 9 mo. a year works for you in the 25' ? Do you feel cramped or feel like you really need more room? I really like our 25' Classic but I'm just afraid that once we get on the road it's just going to be to tight. I'm also somewhat fearful that a 34' isn't going to be able to get into some or most of the State and Federal campgrounds.
Jack
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Back and forth about it...
Looking forward to being free, at least for a few months of the year.
I'm gonna hang onto a few acres for a base.
Not sure about house, just gotta have a tinkering shop.
Hi klattu, we are going to do the same thing starting in may, we are going cross country for 3 to 4 months. We wont sell this place for a while, if we ever sell, this lake is really beautiful and Alabama taxes are just about nothing. Where about do you live in Alabama?

After our trip we might go up to mass for a month or two to visit my dad, then head for warmer weather, either in florida or gulf shores, we love the GS's area too. George/Kym
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Hi..Craftsman.. sounds like you have the same questions we have! We really don't have much of a problem with our space because we put up a 10x10 "bugproof" screen house that has sides that roll up or can be tied down to make it rainproof, too. When you can be outside most of the time, the space doesn't seem a problem. However, we would really like to have the dinette space... and the corner bed....???

But it seems there are issues with the longer AS... we're still reading!

Phil & Edee
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Small is Beautiful

Phil/Edee and Craftsman,
We're full-timing in a 2005 CCD 25. It has room for everything we want to take with us but very little extra. We are drastically paring down our possessions and storing only small heirlooms, documents we don't need with us, photo albums, and a few yearbooks. We could go for a larger AS but wanted to try with a 25. One benefit of a longer AS would be a walk-around bed instead of corner bed while keeping sofa and dinette and both closets. We don't mind the corner bed but it is interesting climbing around each other for the night-time bathroom breaks.

We have the AS loaded to the GVWR (6,000) with full propane and fresh water and pantry, fridge, closets, and three of the roof lockers carefully loaded. The rest of the stuff is in the back of the truck, loaded full-width, full-length, and up to the tonneau cover. The truck has our backpacking gear in two totes (two tents, four down bags, three backpacks, pads, boots, poles, clothes, and all the small stuff). Another tote has our spare clothes including cold weather stuff. A tote has books and trail maps, and another two have maintenance and repair parts. We have a generator, air compressor, two golf bags, ez-up canopy, tool chest, four chairs, and carwash bucket. Weighed three times on the cross-country trip to assure we had the weights okay. The truck is well below both the gvwr and gcwr (it's a 2500HD) and hitch weight and contents are within truck's axle ratings.

Our first odyssey of 8,500 miles we spent time in varied activities and places and never felt hemmed in. Yeah, we're glad we have sofa plus dinette. Our first AS (CCD 22) lacked the sofa and we really wanted for it.

Three times this year we've benefited from only having 25. One national park site (Cades Cove in Great Smokies) and one private campground (small one in NC) only had space for maximum 25 trailer. One national park site (Grant in Yellowstone) gave us a primo site we couldn't have used with longer than a 25. (But they did have longer sites) If we had a longer trailer we would just choose to go where there is room for it. No big deal.

So far, so good. We'll keep going at it and if we're wrong, we'll admit it.
Oh, and if you haven't already, check out a synopsis of EF Schumacher's Small Is Beautiful. It helps me rationalize my choice to a smaller living unit.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote