Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #1
Al Denty

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Need Advice on Model/Size for Full Timing

Hi all.

We are seriously considering going full-time, which would of course mean upgrading from our Basecamp 16x to something considerably larger for the two of us and our 85-pound dog. We need some advice on which model(s) and size(s) to consider.

We want as much storage space as possible, need both an oven and a microwave, want a queen bed (must be able to walk around it on both sides), and, since we want to be able to dry camp and boondock, we will also want as much solar as possible, lithium batteries, an inverter, and perhaps a lift kit and upgraded off-road capable tires. We will also be working remotely so having dedicated work space would be helpful, but not entirely required. In addition to boondocking, we know that we want to visit as many National Parks as possible so size may be a consideration there, not to mention that my towing experience is so far limited to our 16-foot Basecamp (we will upgrade our tow vehicle once we know which model and size Airstream we plan to get).

So far we think we would like to focus on the Flying Cloud 30FB Office (new), the Classic 30RBQ (used), and the Classic 33FBQ (used), but we think we should also consider a 27 or 28 foot Flying Cloud (new or used). I have seen folks here and elsewhere saying that the larger Classics may be a challenge when trying to find a campground, not to mention backing into campsites and/or when trying to get gas! I just don’t have the experience with them to know for sure how much of an issue this might be. I have no problem only getting gas at truck stops, but I would hate to forego a great campground just because my rig is too big.

With all the above having been said, we would really love to hear your experienced and sage advice so that we can start to focus our search and pull the trigger on a purchase. I have a line on a decent deal on a 2019 Classic, but would hate to make the wrong and very expensive decision.

Can’t wait to hear what you suggest! Feel free to ask questions too!

THANK YOU in advance!
Al Denty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I think you’re doing the right thing by considering your options and researching before you decide. Unfortunately there isn’t an easy answer to your question on the best size for full-timing. There are people on these forums and on YouTube who full-time in a Bambi 16 footer. There are people who full-time in a Classic 33. It really comes down to what you prioritize and how you want to live. You’ve already decided on some of the big items like the bed size and configuration. It will be interesting to hear comments from the full-timers on the forums.

Good luck with your research!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I don't think that an Airstream of any size is really the best choice for a full time = 4 season camper. There are other travel trailers out there that have cold weather insulation packages that in my opinion would be a better choice for full timers. Just a suggestion to broaden your search in that regard. And yes, there are folks who fulltime in Airstream, I know a couple who went through a Colorado winter living in a van conversion too!
Old 07-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I've written here before about the reasons why we downsized from a 30' Classic to a 25' Globetrotter and they are some of the same issues that you've just mentioned; having access restricted to certain campgrounds, campsites and even fuel stops, maneuvering in tight locations, and in our case even being able to get up our own driveway without difficulty.

That said, we aren't full timers. If we were, I'd be willing to ignore some of the drawbacks of a larger trailer in favor of having more living and storage space. Personally, we would go nuts trying to full time in our 25' Globetrotter for example, and would definitely go back to something like our previous Classic, although there are surely people who could make something smaller work for them.

Bottom line, there will obviously be trade-offs to owning different size trailers and you'll have to decide where your priorities are. Still, even though we eventually made a decision to downsize, we enjoyed the Classic and got it into some nice places. As a future full timer, if you're committed to an Airstream and the 2019 Classic you're looking at is in good shape and a fair price I don't see you regretting the purchase because you didn't buy something smaller.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:07 PM   #5
Al Denty

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
I don't think that an Airstream of any size is really the best choice for a full time = 4 season camper. There are other travel trailers out there that have cold weather insulation packages that in my opinion would be a better choice for full timers. Just a suggestion to broaden your search in that regard.
THat is great advice, but we've looked at a wide variety of non-Airstream travel trailers and fifth wheels and, for a variety of reasons, those are not for us.

We've traveled in all four seasons throughout the Mountain West in our Basecamp and never had an issue in the cold weather. Besides, I don't think we will seek out the snow in our full-time travel trailer, but we will be prepared should it arrive when we least expect it (e.g. July in Montana).
Al Denty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Go as big as you can in an AS. 33’ Classic. Nice size bathroom. Better storage. Better living space. I mean you will probably need to get a diesel anyway. Might as well pull something as big as you can with it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I think that if I wanted to do full time RV living, I’d go with a big Newmar Class A. But that’s just me…

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
We full time in an International 25. Your needs would make that not good (east-west bed), but for us it has been absolutely perfect with respect to size and comfort.

At our size we fit nicely at any campground we have been to. We fit perfectly in a “site” at Guadalupe Mountains National Park (which said it was for 22ft max), and are enjoying our site now in Denali (a “B site”). So far, we have not run into any issues with site size or boondocking areas (which is more a function of getting in/out than anything).

Our dog weighs 12 pounds. She sleeps in her little bed on the side of ours. An 85 pounder would be challenging in our trailer.

With respect to a 4 season trailer…it has wheels. For example, this past winter we were down in Austin for two weeks and a bad cold spell was predicted (below freezing as a high for several days). We decided to head down to Galveston where the weather was cool, but very comfortable. We’ve had some cold nights from time to time (in the 20s or high teens) and made it through with no issues…leave a roof vent open and run the furnace and water heater.

We have a 3000w inverter, 600 watts of solar and 600 ah of lithium batteries which have worked marvelously. Another example…we were at Glacier for a week. It rained everyday. We were in a site that was as wooded as possible…no clear view of the sky. We used our microwave and convection oven (sparingly), used our coffee maker (daily), watched movies and ran the furnace almost nightly. After the week we were still at 38% according to the Victron 712. Based on what we’ve experienced, if there is very little sun/deep wooded site, and as long as we don’t need AC, we can make it about 10 days without any problem, and probably 14 to 21 if we conserve on power (no microwave/convection). When we have full sun (Arches in May is a perfect example) we could go pretty much forever with no energy conservation (but not running AC).

If I were to choose a trailer today for us based on everything I know now, it would still be a 25. Based on what you’ve stated above, I think a 27 to a 30 would be the sweet spot, and depending on your camping style a 33 as well, but with a 30-33 there may be some campgrounds you’re where you won’t fit, or only fit in a handful of sites that may be hard to come by (thinking National and State Parks).
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:02 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Menahga , Minnesota
Full time w 3 rescues

I think a lot of people already gave you some food for thought, here’s my two cents. We have been full timing for almost 4 years in a 30 ft classic with 3 dogs (2 large/1 small all rescues). We picked this floor plan because it works with the pups.

The only issues we’ve had is with the Alde system. We’ve had a couple of leaks, you also have to replace the glycol every two years , and finding service is an issue. Most dealers that we have had contact with don’t want to do service. Depending on how handy you are you may want to give it some thought.

As far as storage I think you’ll find you probably don’t need all the stuff you think you do. We continually downsize stuff.

We have not really run into issues concerning the size of the camper in campgrounds. Especially because we don’t have slides.

Happy camping!
Vicki J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
We went from recreational use in a 16 foot Nest to a 30ft FC Office with a similar use case. Having the dedicated, separate office space was critical - I don't think we could have made it work otherwise.We had the 3 inch lift installed before we picked it up at the dealership and we've taken it all over the place. The lift has been critical in several of the boondocking locations we've been and has prevented bottoming out.

We also had 800 watts of solar, 600ah of lithium, and a Victron MultiPlus inverter installed which lets us go wherever without many power issues. A Pepwave antenna and router combined with Starlink gives us connectivity everywhere. The only locations we can't go connectivity wise are densely wooded areas (i.e. Starlink won't work) with no cell signal which thus far have been few and far between .

The length does cut down on the number of national park spots you can get into, but all the parks we've been to this far have had at least some that can fit us. If they don't, we just boondocks outside the park. We've taken it down some sketchy forest service roads - just go slow and you'll be fine.

Towing is more challenging than the Nest, but it's still an Airstream and not particularly difficult. Overall, the huge amount of storage space in the model plus the office made the size perfect.

I don't think we'd downsize given that we've been able to go where we want to go in it (or at least adjacent to it).
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Full time

As for the Watts Family we went with the Classic 33. Huge bathroom Alde Hydronic heat and hot water (took awhile to figure it out) Pulls like it’s got eyes. 2 years till I retire and I’ll purchase a Super Duty to drag the wheels of of it.
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
I wintered in Colorado for 2 winters now and once I installed Air Skirts I’m definitely a 4 season Airstreamer
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Mamaroneck , New York
Thumbs up Go big

33' Classic...great choice...more space...amazing bathroom - we've had no issues finding spaces due to our length. Agree that getting to know the nuances of Alde system is kind of a pain...but overall we love ours! We spent 8 weeks in it -traveling across country. Plus we have 2 giant schnauzers!
14tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Otis Orchards , Washington
27 classic

We really like our 27’ classic fb. Perfect size for us.
Wstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We full timed for over three years in a 28 ft. International and it worked out very well for us. Then again, we didn't have an 85 lb. dog. Given your requirement for dedicated work space, I would prefer the 30 ft. FB office. My two cents.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Choices associated with Full Timing will be less about equipment selection and more about living life in a modern (post Patriot Act) society as a homeless family. Taxes, insurance, health care, equipment maintenance, income generation, personal safety are just a few of the things that will require a pre-launch plan.

Your Full Timer life style will change as you get older, less boondocking by the campfire, to more bingo in the club house, And choices in equipment will reflect your life style priorities as time goes by.

The smaller and lighter weight your equipment is, the deeper woods you can go. The bigger and heavier your rig is, the more home like comfort and closer to the interstate highway you will be.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
We do not full time, but we do spend around six months out of the year in our 30 foot Classic. i don't think we would enjoy it as much in a smaller trailer. Some friends of ours full time in a 27 foot International. They like it fine, but they do not have a big dog either...
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Not a full timer but spend about 5 months a year on the road in a 27 FBQ Globetrotter. We have a 30 Classic on order b/c sitting inside for any length of time is just not comfortable for two people at the dinning table.

The classic has the lounge chairs and the dinette table can be used for office work.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the towing, it’s not that long of a learning curve.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:28 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "gotcha spec" on the list is "lots of storage". When you start looking at all the stuff that 4 seasons of gear *plus* a working office involves .... yikes .... None of the Airstream products really have a lot of storage. Simply hauling along an adequate complement of tools / spares / backups is a challenge for a typical summer jaunt ( 6 months on the road ...).

As mentioned, do spend some time in the various candidate trailers. Also study up on the size of truck each will require as a tow vehicle. We now tow our 30' with an F350. It does a better job for us than the F250 did.

One "solution" to towing a 33' Classic and storage is to put a cap on a pretty hefty truck. You then can put a couple tons of gear in the truck. It may not be all that easy to get at, but at least you have it along. You now have an 8' bed / super cab / dually as your drive around vehicle ....

Lots of tradeoffs

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Full timer all season Airstreamer here… I think ASs are quite warm and capable.
A.S. Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote