Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
Message for full-time workers

Hello full-time worker,

I would like to know your frequency of rotation between two camps. 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, more... Is it possible for you to work every days and change campgrounds every week-end?

Thanks
PhilouCerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:25 PM   #2
"In between RVs"

Louisville , Kentucky
It is possible but it’s challenging to move very far. Also requires research for cellular service for internet. Setup/teardown is 1-1 1/2 hours and that’s taking it easy if you do some prep the day before.
Back2Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
The other issue Back2Nature didn’t address is site costs. The more frequently you move, the higher your overall site rent will be.

In addition to their nightly rate, most, but not all, RV parks will have weekly and monthly rates.

Rarely will you get your money back if you have to leave early.

The more popular/desired/destination RV Parks will be booked for the weekend forcing you to have to relocate for the weekend.

Parks with online reservations and specific site selection capabilities will have another spot in their park that you can move to allowing you to stay in their particular town but forcing you to go thru the relocation process.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for your answers.

Two more questions :

1 - To find campsites that rent monthly which are the best applications.

2 - Is Starlink really reliable for having team meetings, zoom... It seems that now we no longer have to take everything apart. Do you validate?
Old 09-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
To find camp grounds that rent monthly, many times you have to call them. Google around your current location to find them or use allstays or campendium. Unfortunately, there isn’t one app that offers everything.

For Starlink, it works great when you’re not around major cities unless you have the non roaming version because you may get throttled during peak use. I am not sure what you mean about breaking everything down though. We just unplug our dish and move it inside once we need to relocate

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

It seems that now the new starlink antenna works while moving. No need for disassembly anymore. Is it true ?
Old 09-14-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Ah, there are two kinds. One that is a flat mount on the roof that connects to multiple satellites at once. Hardware is something like $2k and monthly cost is over $200/month. It stays connected when you move unlike the other version which needs to connect each time.

The other is the one that most of us have. Sits on the ground or on a pole. Hardware is $600ish I believe or at least when we bought. Service is $150/month. Roam accounts you can freeze service but the residential you cannot pause service.

I’ve seen people modifying the cheaper hardware one to be a DC connection and eliminate the modem. Cost is approx $1k.

Hope that helps with the question

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for this informations
Old 09-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Campendium
All Stays
Rvarky

are good campground review sites. They will usually have a review category of cellular service. Previous campers will advise if the location has service or which location in the park has better connectivity.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is also the thread titled "mounting a pole for starlink" that may be informational for you.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
As a sometimes-remote worker, I will second @Big and add that trees are the biggest enemy of Starlink, otherwise it's outstanding. A cellular modem as backup is almost essential unless you can be sure the campsite will have an open look to the sky (I haven't found a good way to determine this, particularly in the National Forest campgrounds we tend to book). At least with the software development work I do, I only need 5Mb or so for Teams/Zoom meetings so Starlink throttling would not affect me much and tends to happen at peak demand in the evening when everyone is streaming entertainment programming.
JeffKim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Canton , Michigan
we have been full-timing for about 3 months and I work from the road

currently I have:

Strarlink. *the $600 one with 75ft of cable

AT&T hot-spot thru FMCA $60/month for unlimited data capped at 25 Mbps which I have found to be more than enough

Verizon for our phones with something like 10G of hotspot data, only used in emergency if the other two do not work

We are generally staying at a campground for about 5 days.
we try to show up on Saturday or Sunday. This gives us time to test connectivity and tour the campground to see if other spots would work better for us. Now that we are past the summer season we have found no problem with ample available sites to choose from if we want/need to move.
Weekends is when we travel and I tend to use Harvest Hosts on the weekends. Its a good excuse to eat out if we stay at a brewery
AT&T has been our go-to on weekends as we are in more populated areas

So far we only had an issue in Acadia National Park. I could not get any cell service and there was too much tree cover for reliable starlink. The solution was simply drive down to the ocean-side park across from the campground, setup starlink and work from there. Not a bad view for the day
h2oski is offline   Reply With Quote