Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Full-timing residency question

We are seriously thinking of selling out house and going full-time as we almost travel full time as it is.... Have been doing some checking around and have discovered that 7 different States do not have State income tax... AK, Wy, Or, SD, NV, Fl, and TX... How difficult is it to establish one of these States as a residence? Any ideas on which one is best?

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, an income tax is not all there is. We moved from Texas (no income tax) to New Mexico (income tax), and our tax burden went down.

Lynn
Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We established residency in FL for both the no state income tax and because we have family there and decided to use their address as our home address. One thing to keep in mind is insurance. Our insurance went up when we changed our residency from Virginia to Florida. Also, the titling, tags, and registration fees were more. Florida residency still works for us since we use family's address and have our mail forwarded to them. But, cost wise, we probably could have done better in another state. I understand SD works with full-time RVers and may have services in place to accommodate the lifestyle.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Florida is probably at the top of the list. As you already know, there is no state income tax. Driver licenses issue for 6 years and license tags issue for two years. I believe all that it would take is getting into a campground for a couple of weeks to establish a mailing address. Go down to the Florida Driver License Office. Tell them you have moved here from Wisconsin and get a Florida Driver License. Then go over the County Tax Collector's Office, and apply for Florida titles for your Airstream and tow vehicle, and purchase Florida tags.

Welcome to Florida!

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We grew up in SDak and I remember seeing RVer's with SDak plates on their rig. I quickly go introduce myself and ask where in SDak they lived. After a couple introductions, I came to realize that there were many full-timers that use SDak as their home residence address. I believe if you do a google search you will find companies in both Sioux Falls and Madison SD that can assist you. I don't have any references so check them out be sure they are above board.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
From what I've read, South Dakota, Texas and Florida are the most popular... South Dakota is sounding pretty good to me so far..

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
Steve and Jan,, you posted oregon as not having state income tax, they do, it is washington state that hasn't any state income tax. some what hi rv tax, south dakota has 3% rv license on value of rv, no repeat inspection
texas has 6% rv license on value of rv with inspection every two years(???)
this source is vagabond-rv web site...
washington state is in the hole for 2.5 billion, how is florida shaping up with its state finances. i may be moving to a south dakota mail box soon.
good luck and see you on the road, jeff
acgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
South Dakota is the way to go. And if I may let me recommend MyDakotaAddress in Madison. Very inexpensive and the woman running it does an excellent job. Took me all of 3 hours to become a SD "Resident" and the only reason it took that long was because the Drivers License office was closed in Madison the day I was there and had to go down to Sioux Falls for my license.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgypsy View Post
Steve and Jan,, you posted oregon as not having state income tax, they do, it is washington state that hasn't any state income tax. some what hi rv tax, south dakota has 3% rv license on value of rv, no repeat inspection
texas has 6% rv license on value of rv with inspection every two years(???)
this source is vagabond-rv web site...
washington state is in the hole for 2.5 billion, how is florida shaping up with its state finances. i may be moving to a south dakota mail box soon.
good luck and see you on the road, jeff
Jeff,

You are correct, don't know what we were thinking when we put Oregon on he list...South Dakota sounds real good to us....See you on down the road...

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
South Dakota is the way to go. And if I may let me recommend MyDakotaAddress in Madison. Very inexpensive and the woman running it does an excellent job. Took me all of 3 hours to become a SD "Resident" and the only reason it took that long was because the Drivers License office was closed in Madison the day I was there and had to go down to Sioux Falls for my license.
We discovered the MyDakota Adress web site, sure looks like a great place....That's where we're going to go.....Agree with you!!

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
99Limited34

If you are considering becomming fulltimers you should check out the Escapees organization. Escapees was founded by fulltimers for fulltimers and consists of about 60,000 members. What state to domicile has been discussed often on their site Escapees Discussion Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board) There is more to consider besides taxes.

Good luck.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Attempting to retain more of your spendable
income by not having a State income tax or
property taxes......an idea.....OK...

Everything involves "Trade-offs"

Ya want to save some money, cancel the
Cell Phone, Sattellite dish, and internet service.
The three of those added would put a dent in taxes.

But...that may be a bit too skinny!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Think more broadly

Just because you license your RV in a particular state does not mean that you have to be a resident of that state. Do you think a rich guy is a resident of ten separate states in which he might own a car? No, of course, not.

If you spend time in Florida, you might want to claim that state for residency purposes to save on income tax. On the other hand, if the trailer will spend at least some time in a low license fee state like Montana, you could consider getting a registration and license there. After all, states are not in the business of turning someone away who walks in to give them money for a license.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
florida was not too friendly to me. my trailer and a car reside here. when ingrid gave them to mde i tried to register them to my miami address. i was refused as i was not a florida resident. a few trips later and a supervisor spent 20 minutes on the phone with Tallahassee resulted in my being told i would need to apply for a florida id (non-drivers drivers license) and they would then let me process the paperwork. i ended up just registering them in NY.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post

I just looked at the drivers license requirements and it looks like dec. 31 they are going to change ..... so NOW WHAT?

New identification requirements when applying for your South Dakota driver's license effective December 31, 2009.
To apply for or renew your driver's license you will need to provide the documents listed below.
One of the following to prove your identity, date of birth and lawful status:
Certified U.S. birth certificate
Valid unexpired U.S. passport
Certificate of Naturalization
Certificate of Citizenship
Valid permanent resident card
Valid employment authorization document
Foreign passport with valid U.S. Visa with I-94
One of the following proving your Social Security number:
Social Security Card
W-2 Form
SSA 1099 Form
Non SSA 1099 Form
Pay stub (must include name and social security number)
In addition to the documents listed above you must provide two documents proving your principal address. Please bring two of the documents listed below:
Utility Bill
Rent Receipt
Phone Bill
School Record
Bank Statement
Tax Document
---------------------------------------------------------------
looking at the last section..... where am i going to come up with two off this list if i dont actually LIVE there?

Utility Bill
Rent Receipt
Phone Bill
School Record
Bank Statement
Tax Document

so how will this work then? what to do? any comments?
thanks
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Put some money in SD bank(enough to write a check for your license, phone and monthly rv rent), show your rv park payment of rent, pay for your cell phone at their local office and get a receipt showing them your park address.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Put some money in SD bank(enough to write a check for your license, phone and monthly rv rent), show your rv park payment of rent, pay for your cell phone at their local office and get a receipt showing them your park address.
Ohhh OK i see how its done. thanks for telling me that. i have a pay as you go phone so i dont have a plan to switch to a south dakota address.

so i need to plan to stay in an RV park for a month then ? i think i can do that in the dead of summer.

i can do the rent payment and the bank statement.
that should do it.
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
I wonder why they're changing the requirements for a drivers license? Sounds like they're trying to make it more difficult for the full-timers.. I thought South Dakota was trying to encourage full-timers to be residents.....Maybe not......

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited34 View Post
I wonder why they're changing the requirements for a drivers license? Sounds like they're trying to make it more difficult for the full-timers.. I thought South Dakota was trying to encourage full-timers to be residents.....Maybe not......
Homeland Security, lots of new rules to live by.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote