Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Currently traveling , Varies
FT family of four just getting going

Hi all,

We sold our house and hit the road about three weeks ago hoping to stay out for at least a year. We have two kids, 10 and 12, so we figured it was now or never! If anyone is considering this lifestyle, we love it so far. The start of the homeschooling year is right around the corner, so that will change things up a bit, but we are looking forward to that as well. We have a blog and Instagram account (link on blog) if anyone is interested in following along. I love Airstream-specific blogs and Instagrams, so I figured I would share here.

www.astreamcometrue.com

See y’all out there!
SabaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We are 8 years full-time roadschooling our kids.
Welcome and good luck!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One "interesting" approach to schooling the kids - a cyber school. All the teaching is done over the internet. The wife taught at a cyber charter for many years. With that school the nice thing was - it was free to the students. Yes, that part depends a lot on where you live (or claim to live).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
We looked at the online schooling but figured we would be out of WiFi or cell range too much. Ended up buying curricula from Oak Meadow that is more text and workbook focused.

Wow! 8 years! Any quick advice for us newbies? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
Are y'all working remotely or just quit?

I would love to do this so I am eager to virtually tag along. We are just waiting to hit our Target FIRE number soon
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabaRocks View Post
We looked at the online schooling but figured we would be out of WiFi or cell range too much. Ended up buying curricula from Oak Meadow that is more text and workbook focused.

Wow! 8 years! Any quick advice for us newbies? Thanks!
Hi

So far in about 40 weeks out and about, I don't think we have ever been out of cell *and* WiFi for more than a total of 10 days. Even in those locations, a few miles drive put us back in cell range.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alreddawg19 View Post
Are y'all working remotely or just quit?

I would love to do this so I am eager to virtually tag along. We are just waiting to hit our Target FIRE number soon
We went to route of just quitting. Well, technically work beat me to it and I got canned, but that is a whole other story! 😂 We saved up and are watching our spending. Health insurance is our biggest budget item.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #8

1970 21' Globetrotter
Churchville , Virginia
Well, the world does get smaller and smaller. I'm a bit envious I must say! Godspeed and best wishes. I suppose I'll look for you guys on the ski hill now instead of the water!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Hey! Is this Michael S. from the Rivah? Do you guys have an Airstream too? We still have our boat - apparently those things take forever to sell! Hope you guys are doing well.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Congrats! My wife and I have been full time on the road since March 2018. No blog here but we are on Instagram @AirstreamVagabond

Have run into a couple forum members on the road. All airstreamer that we have seen have been extremely nice and helpful. Hope to run into you guys somewhere!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I am into year 3 of FTing and love it. Actually looking into maybe purchasing a larger newer model Land Yacht with slideouts. Have a great site on private property and might put up an RV carport for winter just to keep the snow away.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Hey everyone

Im new to forums at all and me and my fiancé are working toward living tiny starting with an airstream , we wanna live in it full time and hit the road. My question is how people are able to, what jobs are out there that you can do traveling constantly in an airstream? Anyone happen to work for a company thats hiring ?
Any advice/ thoughts is appreciated thanks
AGroomsDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, AGroomsDogs. There are quite a few people who are working while traveling. Many of those already have skills (and sometimes a job) that translate well to traveling. The biggest issues that those people have are having a reliable, FAST Internet connection and needing to work during the week, thus requiring them to travel on the weekends when everyone else wants to travel.

There are ways around the first issue, but they all cost money. As for working for a company, that means that you have to work their hours. If the company is in New York, and you want to explore the West Coast, you are going to start working very early in the morning, but then you will have the afternoon off.

Many people who are working on the road are self-employed. Can you make something that you can sell? Can you write, either words or code?

Another way that some people "work" is by volunteering. Many of us spend part of each year as campground hosts, exchanging some of our time for a free FHU site. Another volunteer opportunity is with Habitat For Humanity's RV Care-A-Vanner program. You can pretty much find anything that interests you for a volunteer opportunity.

As you look at a possible life on the road, spend some time seriously evaluating your own skill set. If there is a SCORE group in your area, check with them about working for yourself. Spend some time in your local public library reading all you can about being an entrepreneur.

One other suggestion: check out the X-capers on escapees.com. That's a group of younger people who are full-timing.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Alot of great information thank you
AGroomsDogs is offline   Reply With Quote