Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Colorado/New Mexico Camping Sites

I am not a full timer but am in starting to plan my next vacation for October. I could use some help weeding thru the maze of campgrounds in these 2 states. Generally I enjoy camping in state parks, national parks, and forests or desert areas.
Do you have any favorites that are usually less crowded during October?
I have no particular destinations in mind yet, so this is my starting point. I'll find attractions between campgrounds, my main goal is to relax and enjoy nature as much as possible.
Thanks
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Greetings Dooley!
We traveled through both last summer! Spent two weeks in Co and NM. Went to Zion and Bryce before heading up to Rocky Mtn... They were both just amazing... Highly recommend them. I know we'll be returning within the next couple of years to spend more time in both. That was a first in NM for us and found them to be worth every minute of the time spent to get there from Northern Minnesota. We have also spent a number of summers traveling thru CO and have enjoyed Rocky Mountain National as you might have guessed. We prefer Moraine Campground. By October you'll find RMNP to likely have closed it's higher roads, but the truly cool thing is that the Elk are coming out of the high lands to winter in the lower meadows where you will be able to enjoy seeing them in large numbers and in the rutt. Very cool to hear them bugle...

The Federal Campgrounds are all terrific as well. Don't be afraid to just give a few of them a try. They are wonderful facilities, and most of them are very well maintained. We have stayed at several and have found absolutely all of them enjoyable. Most are just off the major highways a bit and are quiet and really nice...

Hope this is of some value... ENJOY YOUR TRIP! Make sure to post pics after!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It is a great time to visit the area: cool weather, fewer crowds, the whole thing practically yours. There can be one drawback: Some campgrounds actually close pretty early (as we found out once, much to our chagrin, up in Pagosa). And there are also a couple of major exceptions to the no-crowd rule. For example, don't even think about heading toward the Albuquerque (or even the Santa Fe) area during the balloon festival unless you have reservations someplace well in advance.

Lynn
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Be aware that there are several hunting seasons this time of year.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...ed02262008.pdf
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Valle Vidal and Rio Grande Gorge

Off the top of my head:
1.Valle Vidal-you may not find this on the map Rt 196 between Cimaaron and Costillo. 2 or 3 campgrounds a lake and an elk herd of thousands. Rough road going in 25m. and in October elk season is open

2. Rio Grnde Gorge Wild River National Recreation Area. At the confluence of the Rio Grande and Red River near Questa. Camp on the rim of the Gorge.

3. Hyde Memorial State Park near Santa Fe. Camp at 8500 feet. The Aspens will be on fire with color if you time it right, but very crownded during leaf peeping season
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, New Mexico has some big-game hunting going on during that season, but it's black-powder hunters and bow hunters, that is, folks who literally have to be able to sneak to within spittin' distance of their prey. They're not folks who go to the local store, purchase a Howitzer, a bunch of beer, and ATV gasoline, and then go out for male bonding in the woods. (We occasionally get the former types here at the park; if we see the latter types at all, we report them to the police.)

Lynn
Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

In addition to parking lot commercial Campgrounds................

Hookups are nice, and needed every few days or so, BUT, I wouldn't rule out B.L.M. land or the national parks. One time a flash flood prevented us
from our planned hiking trip. I voted for calling it a day and looking for a motel. My brother found us an awesome free campsite quicker than you can say " Do they still make those ". I was saving a list of the top ten free campsites, but I gave up and threw the list away because I kept finding too many even better sites.
IMHO......I would suggest that you check out Utah since you are in the area.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
see posts 12 and 13 in this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post589149
Old 07-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Consider Colorado State Parks.

Consider Colorado State Parks. Most have Electic hookups, drinking water and and dump stations. One of favorites is Mueller State Park, about 25 miles west of Colorado Springs. You can check all of them out at Colorado State Parks Home - Colorado State Parks and you can make reservations.

Let me second the vote for Rio Grande Gorge in NM and suggest Bandelier National Monument, near Los Alamos NM.

Steve.
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks everyone. I'm now looking into the campgrounds mentioned and checking the sites listed. I also liked the comments about hunting season and the balloon festival. Those are some things I didn't consider and now am aware. I'm very much looking forward to this trip and if you think of anything else let me know. It's been far too long between trips, I feel like I'm getting cabin fever.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I just finnished going through all the info all of you suggested in the above threads. Lots of good stuff. I'm now just going to plan the route and include as many of your suggested camping spots as time allows. Who knows, maybe I'll just go to one or two and stay a while and enjoy.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
RoadRunner

1972 27' Overlander
Hattiesburg , Mississippi
We are heading West from Mississippi and are considering the Balloon Festival in Albequerque as one of our stops. October 4-12 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
rcloeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcloeffler View Post
We are heading West from Mississippi and are considering the Balloon Festival in Albequerque as one of our stops. October 4-12 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
The WBCCI 4 corners unit has a rally on site for the ballooney thing It's probably full up but might be worth checking
Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
balloons

IF the FCU Balloon Rally is full, you might consider the Coronado State Park in Bernalillo for the Balloon Fiesta. You would be 10 miles north, but it is set up on the river and pretty nice for almost urban camping.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Hi everyone, After all the good info about CO and NM camping you gave me, now I am on my way to CA instead. It was not thrown to the wind though, as I will use that info at some point in the future and it looks like others on this site are already benifiting from your responses. Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Hey Dooley, don't forget ot check the Southwest Boondocking forum. I'm fulltiming in NM and there are great places mentioned there!

jac

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
Hey Dooley, don't forget ot check the Southwest Boondocking forum. I'm fulltiming in NM and there are great places mentioned there!

jac

Thanks Jack, will do!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
EGNAR , Colorado
Free campsites south west colorado

HERE IS A COOL LINK TO FREE CAMPSITES NEAR DOVE CREEK, DOLORES, EGNAR COLORADO AREA.
https://freecampsites.net/#!51436&query=sitedetails
There is also free places to stay with no water, electric, or restrooms in the forest east of Egnar colorado. Just take hwy 141 from Dove creek to road F4E and head up 4 miles past the cattle guard to the forest. The best spots are on top overlooking the Dolores river canyon.
SBOESCH is offline   Reply With Quote