Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Entrance steps won't shut off

Suddenly my electric entrance steps wont turn off. The steps try to retract and then just "vibrate" after some retraction. I open the door and it tries to extend and then just after extending it just "vibrates". The motor never shuts off. This just started without any previous warning. I had to kill the coach batteries to get it to stop.

Anyone know how these steps work? Any idea what makes the motor stop? Any idea who made them? Any idea what could be wrong?

Help please!!!
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Limit switch(s). I have not looked any motorized steps, but there has to be somethng telling the motor when it has spun enough times to complete the task.

I would look for microswitches or magnetic reed switches along the path of travel.

Good Luck,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The motor shuts down when the control board senses a large increase in current from the step reaching the fully extended or retracted limit.

You probably have HWH steps you can go to their web site for a troubleshooting guide.

Be careful working on the steps when they are in motion they exert a lot of force and you don't want to get in the way.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I have Kwikee steps on my 93 LY, they were frequently used by AS. Sounds like you might have have a short in the wireing some where.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
First thing I would do would be to pull the fuse to limit damage until I figured out which set of steps I had. Then follow the trouble shooting guides. It does sound like the limit switch(s)/circuit is haywire. Hopefully there is some sort of manual override for them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I've done some research and found that I do have the Kwikee steps in my 92 LY. There are no limit switches in the system. The steps shut down by sensing current as garry indicated. As the step reaches its mechanical stops the motor current rises and the controller shuts down the motor. They say it's also a safety feature since the controller will shut down the motor if there's any obstruction while moving the steps in or out.

My guess is that one of the gears or linkages is slipping. The steps can be moved in and out freely by hand, so that would confirm some slipping gear or link between the step and motor. I found that, if I kill the power to the steps and reapply it, the motor will stay off until it's asked to move. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Your Kwikee steps may be similar to my Clipper?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1146792

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
I've done some research and found that I do have the Kwikee steps in my 92 LY. There are no limit switches in the system. The steps shut down by sensing current as garry indicated. As the step reaches its mechanical stops the motor current rises and the controller shuts down the motor. They say it's also a safety feature since the controller will shut down the motor if there's any obstruction while moving the steps in or out.

My guess is that one of the gears or linkages is slipping. The steps can be moved in and out freely by hand, so that would confirm some slipping gear or link between the step and motor. I found that, if I kill the power to the steps and reapply it, the motor will stay off until it's asked to move. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Talking

OK, I've been able to get the steps fixed, but Kwikee did NOTHING to help. What I've found out is, if you have ANY Kwikee product older then 1999, you SOL on any parts or help from Kwikee. The company was sold to a company called Power Gear some years ago and has NO way to call them for support as the end user. They did have an email support but the standard answer is "you need to purchase a new step set since the one you have is no longer supported".

Like I said, I did end up fixing the steps, but it wasn't easy to figure what I needed. The one thing that helped was this article I found on the net:

http://rx4rv.com/archives/89

The problem they found was with three plastic "shock absorbers" in the motor housing causing binding. The problem with mine was even more severe since the three balls had completely disintegrated into dust leaving nothing as a drive mechanism between the motor worm gear assembly and the output gear. That's why the motor never turned off and the steps could be moved in and out by hand. All the remaining internal components were in perfect shape.

Here is the part that fixed my motor and saved me ~$300 for a new step set.

I paid less then $10 for them at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They had them in stock at my local store. Now the steps are in perfect working order and one more item off the list.

On another note I did find the best deal on the net for a new set of steps if anyone is in a need for replacement. Here is where I found it. At the time of this post the cost for a Kwikee single step series 28 unit was $288.99 with free shipping. Here's a link for as long as it lasts:

Kwikee RV Steps - single on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Still glad I only had to pay <$10 though. It gives me more to spend on other goodies
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Just received an email from Kwikee... The message said that there is no way to repair my unit. "Motors are not serviceable". Darn... I guess I should have listened to them before I fixed it. That way I could have spent another $300 with them.

What is it with companies these days. Seems like customer service is a lost art.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Every transaction today is looked upon as a "cash generation" opportunity.
Now, even your dentist and doctor can't be trusted. (did you get that mouth guard for $100+ at your dentist lately?)

Only through forums like this will we be able to keep costs down so we can buy more stuff.

Dave

Quote:
Just received an email from Kwikee... The message said that there is no way to repair my unit. "Motors are not serviceable". Darn... I guess I should have listened to them before I fixed it. That way I could have spent another $300 with them.

What is it with companies these days. Seems like customer service is a lost art.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:

You mean they didn't tell you about the motor that can be replaced with a Taurus rear window motor at 1/4 the cost.

Not only can the roller turn to crumbles, they also deform, just did mine and they were oval. Next time I will replace with metal rollers, as the steps will injure you even if you have the soft rollers. I believe they are supposed to be a safety feature to not cause death if head is caught in window.
Our safety feature is steps stop by electric overload to it's computer.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
92 landyacht: Thanks for the post. It is always good to see reports on how someone solved a problem on our rigs.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Dave, what year Taurus is the rear window motor?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Steve,
Drivers side rear window lift motor Ford 95-86 Taurus, Mercury sable 1994-88 Lincoln Continental(might be more cost)
Found Ebay from jbc industries inc, indian harbour bch, FL 32937
Just remember chinese motor so used the gears from original as there measuring device uses a slightly different size. I would replace the rollers with metal as original disintegrated and new ones deformed. also seal from elements as much as possible, use rtv silicone, motor is located inside doors protected by plastic.
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks for the info Dave.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote