Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
Wiper arms

Does anyone know the correct part number, size and part dealer for replacement wiper arms to fit my 1976 28' Argosy? They are rusty and ugly and need a make-over. Thanks in advance.
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandemfish
Does anyone know the correct part number, size and part dealer for replacement wiper arms to fit my 1976 28' Argosy? They are rusty and ugly and need a make-over. Thanks in advance.
Do some searching on the forum for wiper arm replacements. Someone used Chevy Lumina Van arms that looked pretty good. I found one of them in a junkyard recently and will eventually do something similar. First I have to figure out how to get the wiper arms to park properly

One good way of searching the forums is to use google. Another forum member provided the following info as follows.

In the google search bar type:

lumina wiper arm site:airforums.com

I use this search method all the time now with great results.

Keep us posted as to what you do.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
I'll tell you what I won't be doing. That would buying replacement arms at about $120 apiece. I think I can remove the existing arms and paint them. Yes, I know, not the best fix, but there are other pressing needs for my baby!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I'll tell you what I won't be doing. That would buying replacement arms at about $120 apiece. I think I can remove the existing arms and paint them. Yes, I know, not the best fix, but there are other pressing needs for my baby!
Where did you see wiper arms priced at $120 each

We paid a couple of bucks for one of the Lumina arms at a local salvage yard. After I locate a second one I'll look into doing the replacement although I'm in no hurry even though ours are rusty and ugly looking. Makes the rest of the coach look good......

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The original wiper arms are obsolete.

According to the original manufacturer, they stopped making that arms several years ago.

Replacement arms that are similair are available, but not cheap, for some unknown reasons.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
If the only problem with your arms is that they are rusty and ugly, why not take them off and paint them?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
Chaplain,

Thanks for the advise. I think that is what I will do. Since they are in poor shape and will not budge, do you think I could use a puller from the auto parts store to remove them without a massive amount of damage to them?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Chaplain,

Thanks for the advise. I think that is what I will do. Since they are in poor shape and will not budge, do you think I could use a puller from the auto parts store to remove them without a massive amount of damage to them?
They aren't to hard to get off. A small 2-jaw puller works just fine. Remove the nut and when setting the 2 puller arms make sure you don't hook them all the way against the pivot arm where it comes out of the cowl. There is a shoulder you have to look for. Best bet would be to look at the bottom side of the wiper arm before you install the puller and you'll see what I mean. You only want to pull on the outer edge of the arm.

Brad