Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
OMG, new engine?

Just before we were leaving to the south, Bess went in for a normal LOF to the mechanic that has serviced her for years. I showed no oil pressure upon start-up, he said it was prolly a clogged line to the sender and suggested we take her for a run. About a mile away, I heard the turbo blow and Bess smoked like crazy. Turned her around (a total of two miles) and got back to his shop. He pulled the oil filter and discovered he'd installed the filter upside down. At least he copped to it. We have a new turbo coming in tomorrow, oil pressure is back to normal, but I won't know for sure until we get her out for a run.
My question, as I've talked with a forum member, is, after 5 minutes of running without oil, what else could we have worn/blown? After the turbo goes in, what next? You know us, we're getting set to put 6k on her for the season.
Color me asking for advice.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings, cam lobes, piston skirts, piston rings, cylinder liners, I even remember the vacuum pump having an oil line going to it.
It idled for an indeterminate time with no oil pressure, then was run under load for two miles at operating temperature. It doesn't look good.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I am assuming that you have a diesel engine?? Most engines have a filter by-pass in case the filter clogs up to prevent damage such as you are thinking. However the ONLY way to be sure is to pull the pan and pull the rod journal and crank journal farthest from the oil pump. At the very least your mechanic should be willing to do this. If he won't take it somewhere else and have it done-Just for piece of mind.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It idled for an indeterminate time with no oil pressure, then was run under load for two miles at operating temperature. It doesn't look good.
Yup, my thoughts, also. I just learned he has no liability insurance. I have not even told the wife about this little "problem" yet. Remove engine?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Liability insurance or not, he should stand behind it as the right thing to do.

Then find another shop that will admit their liability and stand by thier work for the future.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A friend with an 81, 280 with the turbo diesel had the oil line to the turbo blow, lost all the oil very fast, toasted the engine. As I remember he said he drove it only a couple of miles. I don;t recall what actually happened to the internals of the engine. This was in the late 90's and a new engine was over 10K installed locally. The new one was better than the original at least, had a factory turbo and better oil lines to it where the original had an after market turbo installed by AS.

I hope you have good experience with the repairs. BTW, the new engine he had was taller because of the factory turbo, and the doghouse had to be replaced with a raised one.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
He is an old friend and will stand behind it, even if it's me kicking him in the butt to make it right. Being full-timers, it makes it uncomfortable to be at his shop, but we have option zero at this point. So, do we agree a full tear-down is in order?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At the very least, drop the oil pan and check the bearings.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Louisville , Kentucky
First thing to go on a diesel is the turbo. Next is a scored pistons and liners. Rods and main bearings go last. This is just my experience with industrial engines that lost oil.
oliver00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Mike, I'm real sorry to hear this. It's my understanding that oil serves basically the same purpose as coolant...to move the heat away. If you didn't overheat the engine, it might be ok.

I had a situation last summer...different then yours in a way, but I know how you feel.

I have a Polaris RZR ATV. I usually do all my own work, but we were late for our trip so I took the RZR in to get all the oils changed. The mechanic forgot to put oil back in the transfer case. We got to Coos Bay and I rode the RZR hard for six hours before the transfer case blew and locked up the rear end tight! After six hours the bearings had enough! Bearing was welded to the case! Wish I would have catch it earlier.

I don't know if I've ever been so mad in my life! I ride alone a lot and if I had broken down high in the mountains somewhere, my bones my just still be there.

Dealer tries really hard to get me to bring it back...no way! I knew if I did, they would only replace what was visibly damaged. I went to another dealer and had every part in the transfer including the cover, along with the clutch and belt replaced.

My point is, I was not going to walk away without a complete rebuild because if I did and something else failed a bit later, the dealer could say it was not related. The bill was over $3000, which the original dealer covered.

It's a tough call on your part and I don't envy you on this one!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
I see what you mean Mike!

I would suggest an oil analysis after you change oil filter a couple of times, and a few miles on the OD if you can.

I just dropped the the fuel tank on ours to find a leak. Funny thing, the tank if listed for Diesel only! Guess they put the same tank in all of our year units because of the diesel option!?

Hang in there, sounds like he will take care of it.
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Mikey..

What a bummer. Running a shop with 17 mechanics... uhm mishaps happen. Sounds like he is going to make it right. But what does that mean? Those old diesels make alot of noise so its tough to know if its just a noisey injector or a rod knock. If you open that engine up its party time $$$. If you drop the pan for piece of mind and check the rod bearings and main bearings as long as one didnt spin you might consider just replacing them (if still available) and that will increase the oil pressure. So that can all be done from the lower end. Not sure how much room you need to sneak the pan out from above the lower cross member. Maybe the engine just needs to be jacked up a bit to make that happen. You would feel alot better to know. If you guys decide to pull the engine plan for an extended stay. Maybe just get the inspection and the turbo now and do this job when the timing is better for you guys. Sorry this happened.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Mike, sorry to hear about this problem. If it was me, I would not take that rig on the road before I would feel confident that no damage was done. Now you are in a "controlled environment" with people you know. Cost, stress and agony will go up exponentially once you down the road in the middle of nowhere.
Take care of it now..
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That whole engine needs to be gone through. Oil pressure gages are there for a reason. The pistons are probably ok. Rods, cams, rockers etc all need to be checked. This kind of thing is why I do everything myself.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Cripes, I was born to worry, and this one has me going nuts! I am calling a few Isuzu outlets today to see if main and rod bearings are available. I'm still going to insist the pan be pulled and bottom inspected. I like the idea of changing the oil and filters a couple of times, had not thought of that. Having the oil tested is a good idea, as well. Thanks for all your replys, I know you feel my pain.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
If there is a silver lining, we have a nice place to stay, with hookups. I can smell the salt water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2237bessatbill's.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	167911  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Aside from the nice place to stay, this sucks.
Chin up Mike!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Aside from the nice place to stay, this sucks.
Chin up Mike!
Opening my Pacificos a little early today, since I have no control right now, and I'm a CONTROL guy!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well, I hope you have some Limes, cos with all this stress, you need your Vitamin C!

This one is a tough call....
The new turbo is good... did it just sieze or worse?
The lack of oil will have most impact on the rod and crank bearing in a diesel, as a heavy chunk of the cylinder wall lube is hopefully handled by the diesel fuel... or that is the way it was always explained to me... thats why many earlier diesels had twin oil control rings top and bottom to keep engine oil OUT of the compression chamber to prevent a run-away situation. Not sure how the your motor is set up tho!
I have seen engines with oil pressure loss for s short period, with no heavy load do ok... but in this situation, I would get them checked!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote