Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Entry door latch

I was wondering if anybody has had to replace the entry door latch on a classic motorhome? .Andy says you have to do some mods as the stock latch is not available any more . I think I would much rather find a stock latch because I would like to keep the couch as original as I can . So if anyone is parting out a M.H. or someone knows of a new old stock part please reply or else I will resort to the new part. Thank you. Larry Brown.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
I know where you can get this problem solved.
Send me an email if you still need help.
joe
josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Jarrettown , Pennsylvania
Along those lines, Joe, our 345's deadbolt feels very sloppy and loose. We have taken it off on the inside, but see only where PO (or PPO) bent a wire around the neck of the deadbolt handle, apparently to fill in space to try to tighten it up, but it's not working. Incidentally, the switch from the dash doesn't work electrically either, but that is of small concern; we would just like to be able to latch it manually with relatively little fear that one day it will come off and leave us stuck either inside or outside! Are there any rebuild parts available for this that you know of, or are we SOL?
pbnjsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
My (recently purchased) 345 has had its latch replaced and its previous owner also mentioned the original had not been available. The modification to accept a more modern latch was neatly done but I believe he spent a fair bit on labour having it done. Don't know if there is a source of original ones or not.....

John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Talking Latch Lever

Thanx everybody for the reply . We talked about the different options .Because the Original is not available any more, I made one out of 12 gaudge stainless plate 316 alloy . I made the pivot stanctions out of 1/4 inch ss stock tig welded the joints.One of the tongs that open the door latch was missing so I welded a new replacement piece of good steel.I finished the face of the lever with a fisheye brouch effect went through the wholething used white moly greese .It works and looks better than the cast piece that was there before.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote