Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
1987 airstream 345

New to motorhoming. What car can I tow with this and do I dingy or use a car trailer?
sharptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Welcome to the forums!!!
We flat tow a '95 Geo Tracker(4WD automatic)...you can online access vehicles that can be flat-towed...
The main concerns are weight and braking...weight is a concern with the existant frame and bracing...many folks have gone with added bracing welded to the current structure. Our experience with braking has been that we have to replace brakes more often(do a LOT of mountain driving)...we originally towed a 96 Nissan Maxima, but the braking system failed, the Nissan's brakes locked at 60 mph, and the Nissan became history...in the process, we managed to shed(shred) both front tires and shut down IH35 in both directions outside of Waco due to the ensuing fires created by flaming tires...good news was that the moho was unscathed, but we have opted to not use accesory braking since then. I have seen anything from Jeeps to Morris Minors to VW's towed...Thre's a guy on the forums(KLATTU) who tows a Lincoln, and has actually tag-towed a boat(see recent forums thread for impressive pics)...I would reccomend the structural reinforcement of the tow hitch. Supplemental braking is an option some folks swear by, and others(us) don't...$1200 a year in brake repair/replacement is still a small price to pay for what we get out of our 345 in lifestyle...now if we could just power it with a solar equivalent of the 454...
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you. I'm hoping to get it back from the mechanic today. First trip planned is from Phoenix to San Diego later this week. My husband is concerned that it won't make it over the mountain pass to get there. 30 miles uphill. We will not be towing anything yet, but we will need to make a decision soon. We have a 2008 automatic Scion xD, but don't know the best way to tow it as it is not listed as dingy towable according to Motor Home Magazine.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Lincoln !!!!
It is a Eldorado...CADILLAC !!!

As Scrap says, look at your hitch, is it tied to the frame?
or just bumper?

Look here for a few photos
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...oad-53783.html
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
I will have to look when I get it back.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
As is images

As is images
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airst001.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	84170   Click image for larger version

Name:	airst002.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	84171  

Name:	airst006.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	84172   Click image for larger version

Name:	airst007.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	84173  

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Boy am I mad. Went to pick up the 345 at the mechanic's. They handed me the bill, which was more than the agreed upon price. They didn't check ANY of the items that I listed to them when I delivered it to them 3 weeks ago.

Driver/passenger ac not cold, low coolant light on, hot light on if I go over 45 and have the ac on (it was over 110 degrees today when I drove it home), gas leaked out when I was trying to fill it-so I couldn't put in more than 5 gallons and the low fuel light is on. blinds fell off when I was driving, stairs don't retract when I leave the motor home, bathroom sink door was gone, they were supposed to flush out the sewer system, spare tire is cracked, regular tires are from at least 2002-but look pretty good, lighter in driver door doesn't work, breaks squeak, did not supply exterior cover for sewage tube, did NOT detail inside as offered-not even to vacuum up their mess!, was not washed outside.

Still waiting for quote on repair or replace awning and new privacy curtains all around. Also need to find central vac system and order parts, replace water filtration filter, onan filter and oil, new cup holders as the come out with the cup and are corroded, if there are other lighters-do they work?

What they did do was install my appliances, screw back in some cabinets, replace motor mounts, replace air bags for the chassis, new gas cap, repair one light, replace zerk fitting on lower ball joint, installed an exhaust hanger, LOF and air filter, trans filter and fluid, clean and flush the water heater, new 3" dump valves, new water pump, 1 gallon of antifreeze, v-belt alternator, serpentine belt and bolt water pump.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Farmer

If your going to farm it all out, get use to not all being as you planned, and expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post

Driver/passenger ac not cold,
low coolant light on,
This is probably the two sensor bolts in the bottle, they just need cleaning.

gas leaked out when I was trying to fill it-so I couldn't put in more than 5 gallons and the low fuel light is on. blinds fell off when I was driving, stairs don't retract when I leave the motor home, bathroom sink door was gone, they were supposed to flush out the sewer system, spare tire is cracked, regular tires are from at least 2002-but look pretty good, lighter in driver door doesn't work,
??? you have a door ?

breaks squeak, did not supply exterior cover for sewage tube, did NOT detail inside as offered-not even to vacuum up their mess!, was not washed outside.

Still waiting for quote on repair or replace awning and new privacy curtains all around. Thats going to hi-dollar

Also need to find central vac system and order parts,
$$$

replace water filtration filter, onan filter and oil,
Your Onan may not run with the low fuel light on.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Sharptalk,
Sorry to hear about your repair problems. We have a 1986 345, and have found that most of the MH repair people in our area are IDIOTS! I have since started doing most of our repair work myself.
We have had our trailer hitch beefed-up from the factory tow limit of 2000# to the now 10,000# limit. I can now tow our 7000# race trailer.
We use our 1976 Porsche 912E as our toad. At less than 2000#, the 345 does not even know it's there. Our fuel consumption is the same with or without the Porsche. I also use the NightShift tow bar. This unit has a surge type brake actuator incorporated into the bar. When I slow the MH, this applies the cars brakes the same amount.
Works great.
Your 345 looks fantastic by the way.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sale stuff 002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	84264  
Attached Images

Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
This is probably the two sensor bolts in the bottle, they just need cleaning.
OK, I gave him the info, now lets see if he can figure it out.

??? you have a door ?

breaks squeak
He said it was "normal" for breaks to squeak on a motor home.

Still waiting for quote on repair or replace awning and new privacy curtains all around. Thats going to hi-dollar.
But if they would just get me a price! It's 21 feet long for the awning. Curtains though are a must.

$$$
They couldn't even find it. Said it doesn't exist on an Airstream. I said it came with manuals for it and an alarm system. They also said that they couldn't find ANY water drinking filters. I pointed it out in the closet and reminded them that there is a drinking water tap on the kitchen sink.

replace water filtration filter, onan filter and oil,
Your Onan may not run with the low fuel light on.
True, but with the gas tank leaking, Ican't get it up past a quarter tank to check.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Rob,

MH repair people in our area are IDIOTS! I have since started doing most of our repair work myself.
I think I've heard that they are mostly idiots

We have had our trailer hitch beefed-up from the factory tow limit of 2000# to the now 10,000# limit. I can now tow our 7000# race trailer.
We use our 1976 Porsche 912E as our toad. At less than 2000#, the 345 does not even know it's there. Our fuel consumption is the same with or without the Porsche. I also use the NightShift tow bar. This unit has a surge type brake actuator incorporated into the bar. When I slow the MH, this applies the cars brakes the same amount.
WOW. I will need to consider that in the future. What did it cost you?

Your 345 looks fantastic by the way.
Thank you! We hope to get many years out of it. I can't wait to get inside of the thing and deck it out with our own linens and stuff.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
86 345

This is my second year to have my 345 and I realized that all repairs done by a shop always start at a grand. Somewhere somehow the bill is always at least one thousand $. you will learn to do small stuf yourself and you will also learn that with these old machines something is always broken or in need of attention. Thankfully my mechanic seems to be an honest fellow but his bills are always at least one K. Pete
pjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Hi Pete,
I think that once all the major stuff is done I can do some of the minor things myself, but not in 115 degree weather.

Our car mechanic is good, but I know they can't work on this.

Karen
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
$$$
They couldn't even find it. Said it doesn't exist on an Airstream. I said it came with manuals for it and an alarm system....
On our 310 the vacuum motor is under the floor panel of the bathroom vanity. We found it because of the hose outlet port in the hallway wall next to the vanity. If yours is in the same location the floor of the vanity is removable to provide access to the motor.

The hose outlet port should be about 1-3/4" in diameter and have a little flap that covers it. When you lift the flap and stick the hose in the motor starts running.

We managed to scrounge a complete hose assembly, the vacuum hand canister and a spare motor for ours. The filters that go in the hand canister are another problem. Susan is going to end up making some replacement filters since they are no longer available.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
On our 310 the vacuum motor is under the floor panel of the bathroom vanity. We found it because of the hose outlet port in the hallway wall next to the vanity. If yours is in the same location the floor of the vanity is removable to provide access to the motor.

The hose outlet port should be about 1-3/4" in diameter and have a little flap that covers it. When you lift the flap and stick the hose in the motor starts running.

We managed to scrounge a complete hose assembly, the vacuum hand canister and a spare motor for ours. The filters that go in the hand canister are another problem. Susan is going to end up making some replacement filters since they are no longer available.

Brad
I saw a Dirt Devil central vac at Camping World. I wonder if that will work? I will have to look in the bathroom once I get it back again.

Anyone live in the Phoenix area and know a decent mechanic to use once this part is over?

Karen
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Sharptalk,
I put a post on the forum titled "345 trailer towing" back in 2006 where I gave all the info for where we had the trailer hitch beef-up done. The guys that did the work were great to work with. You should be able to do a search under robfike to get to the thread.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike View Post
Sharptalk,
I put a post on the forum titled "345 trailer towing" back in 2006 where I gave all the info for where we had the trailer hitch beef-up done. The guys that did the work were great to work with. You should be able to do a search under robfike to get to the thread.
Rob
Thanks Rob. I found it. Do you remember the cost involved?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Thanks Rob. I found it. Do you remember the cost involved?
After seeing Robfike's upgrade, we had ours done. The cost was $600.
We flat tow a Mini Cooper S, but like having the ability to tow more if the necessity arises.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Hey there

It is great to see so many 345 owners in one thread. I accidently opened this thread up looking for something else. I posted a thread this morning regarding the sales / marketing brochure I acquired for my MH. It states that a floor safe is standard equipment in the 1987 345. Can anyone tell me where it is?
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Nice Rig!

Quote:
As is images
Sharptalk,

I'm a trailer guy myself, but I'm stuck at home with a broken leg right now and I've been reading A LOT of forum threads the last couple days. Yours really caught my eye. That is a sweet looking motorhome. Reading about some of the cool features you have is cracking me up. Good luck finding your central vac and floor safe.

I saw a similar looking AS MoHo driving up I-90 outside Seattle last Saturday. The double rear axles give those things quite the beefy appearance. I showed my wife pictures of your rig tonight and told her I think it would make a great tow vehicle for our 59' Overlander. She just rolled her eyes and chalked it up to the pain killers I'm taking after surgery this afternoon. Good luck with your repair list.

Norm