Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Texas Rally

It's too close to home to miss. Will block out a space.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
There hasn't been any posting on this thread in two months, and we are a month and a half from the event. I know that there are a bunch of people who are looking forward to this event. John...is there anything new to report? Anyone else decided to show? etc etc etc.

Steve
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #23
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Steve, I'm planning on being there with my trailer for you to leak test this year! Put me down for a test and to repair any leak you may find.

On July 24th, I was given three weeks to live and here I am. My tumor was and remains inoperable. My doctors told me again and again that Pancreatic cancer does not respond much to chemotherapy or to radiation and yet here I am. In fact, three weeks ago, my oncologist came in and announced that it appeared to him that I was now NED (no evidence of disease). I am now pain free after taking massive amounts of morpine and other opiates which we increased almost daily to control the intense and all consuming pain. Now, I take absolutely no pain medications of any kind. Cancer markers are no longer showing up in my blood tests. CT Spiral Scans shows the tumor mass to remain, but it seems totally inactive. I've now regained about 15 pounds of the 95 pounds I lost and am slowly regaining strength.

My oncologist considers it some sort of a miracle saying he doesn't think it is anything he and his treatments have been able to do. Treatments were designed to perhaps buy some time, but normally do not resolve the problem except in less than one percent of patients according to my doctor.

I credit all the many people from all over the country who have sent up prayers on my behalf since this thing started. Most have been from our Airstream family that we've met through our unit, the Texas Vintage Rally and other events over the past five years or so. Not only did they pray for me, but they were there with my wife and daughter when they were told my condition was terminal helping them as best one can at a time like that. They followed us home to help however they could since my wife had broken her foot just days before and I had gotten so weak I could barely walk with a cane. They answered the many phone calls and cared for the many visitors who arrived over the following week to see me one last time. They carried us to Dallas to an RV park there so that we could access the Baylor Medical Hospital to see if treatment would somehow delay the inevitable. Our Airstream family brought their trailers and rotated in and out of the park so that someone was always there to drive us to the hospital every day, to the grocery store or to any other need we might have. One Airstreamer or another stayed with us for almost nine weeks in that RV Park. Others drove in for the day or several days to visit and make certain we both kept a positive attitude in the face of almost certain death. We received 336 cards at last count and phone calls daily. I especially appreciate them being there for my wife in helping her to deal with my situation.

As a result of their efforts, I have every confidence I'll be there if nothing else but to say thanks to our many Airstream and Vintage Airstream friends who have done so much for us since July of this year. See you in Montgomery.

Gayland Stephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Happy new year gayland and family

Gayland: I am so sorry for the pain and grief you and your wife have been through in the past months but elated at the results you speak of. Airstream folks are amazing and your story shows this to the 10th power! God bless you, your family and all that helped you through this difficult time. WELCOME BACK TO THE WORLD GAYLAND! We hope to see you at a Rally oneday. You sound like an amazing person with a renewed appreciation for life which is an inspiration for all.......We will keep you in our prayers also..... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
Steve, I'm planning on being there with my trailer for you to leak test this year! Put me down for a test and to repair any leak you may find.

On July 24th, I was given three weeks to live and here I am. My tumor was and remains inoperable. My doctors told me again and again that Pancreatic cancer does not respond much to chemotherapy or to radiation and yet here I am. In fact, three weeks ago, my oncologist came in and announced that it appeared to him that I was now NED (no evidence of disease). I am now pain free after taking massive amounts of morpine and other opiates which we increased almost daily to control the intense and all consuming pain. Now, I take absolutely no pain medications of any kind. Cancer markers are no longer showing up in my blood tests. CT Spiral Scans shows the tumor mass to remain, but it seems totally inactive. I've now regained about 15 pounds of the 95 pounds I lost and am slowly regaining strength.

My oncologist considers it some sort of a miracle saying he doesn't think it is anything he and his treatments have been able to do. Treatments were designed to perhaps buy some time, but normally do not resolve the problem except in less than one percent of patients according to my doctor.

I credit all the many people from all over the country who have sent up prayers on my behalf since this thing started. Most have been from our Airstream family that we've met through our unit, the Texas Vintage Rally and other events over the past five years or so. Not only did they pray for me, but they were there with my wife and daughter when they were told my condition was terminal helping them as best one can at a time like that. They followed us home to help however they could since my wife had broken her foot just days before and I had gotten so weak I could barely walk with a cane. They answered the many phone calls and cared for the many visitors who arrived over the following week to see me one last time. They carried us to Dallas to an RV park there so that we could access the Baylor Medical Hospital to see if treatment would somehow delay the inevitable. Our Airstream family brought their trailers and rotated in and out of the park so that someone was always there to drive us to the hospital every day, to the grocery store or to any other need we might have. One Airstreamer or another stayed with us for almost nine weeks in that RV Park. Others drove in for the day or several days to visit and make certain we both kept a positive attitude in the face of almost certain death. We received 336 cards at last count and phone calls daily. I especially appreciate them being there for my wife in helping her to deal with my situation.

As a result of their efforts, I have every confidence I'll be there if nothing else but to say thanks to our many Airstream and Vintage Airstream friends who have done so much for us since July of this year. See you in Montgomery.

Gayland Stephens
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I'm going!

Regardless...I plan to go. No A/C or refrigerator yet and water system not complete.

This year I won't make the mistake of showing on Sat. Lots of activities happen in the preceding days.

PS............bring your Airstream extras to for the flea market sale.
Get your Airstream leak checked.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Still on track

I am the seminar chairman and I am working on having 10 seminars available, including 3 especially for the women. Pat McDowell has furnished me with some great technical seminars.

The KOA in Montgomery is a great location for the vintage rally in that we have an area, bordered by a pretty lake, especially for the vintage trailers so that all can be parked together. That works great for the open house.

Look for 2 catered meals and a pot luck.

Friday evening, we have some truly great entertainment. We had a rally near Crockett, TX in 2009 and we heard these folks at a monthly Crockett event. As something of a musician, I will tell you that these are absolutely the best! In accordance with the "Back to the Fifties" theme of the rally, they have promised us that the first set will be fifties music.

Go to THLU.ORG, click on Texas Vintage Rally for details and registration form.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
DFW , Texas
This will be our first time to attend. Is there a schedule of events that is available? We will be coming in from the Dallas area and wanted to know when the recommended arrival time would be on the 10th, and what time the events are over on the final day. Thanks for posting the registration link.
TxToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxToaster View Post
This will be our first time to attend. Is there a schedule of events that is available? We will be coming in from the Dallas area and wanted to know when the recommended arrival time would be on the 10th, and what time the events are over on the final day. Thanks for posting the registration link.
The schedule is still in flux, but the seminars will be held on Thursday and Friday during the day. The wildly popular flea market will be Saturday morning before lunch.

The catered meals will be Friday and Saturday evenings.

This year, we opted for one night of great entertainment rather than our usual two nights. That will be on Friday night. These performers can make a lot more $$$ elsewhere and it would have considerably blown our budget to have them on Saturday night.

There will be a pot luck with the rally furnishing the meat (probably ham).

Nothing scheduled on Sunday morning.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Gayland, I am so glad you are on the uphill run to better health. Not sure if James and I are going to make the vintage rally this year. I lost my job May 2009 and our budget is tight. We would love to see all the new friends we made last year.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
There hasn't been any posting on this thread in two months, and we are a month and a half from the event. I know that there are a bunch of people who are looking forward to this event. John...is there anything new to report? Anyone else decided to show? etc etc etc.

Steve
Soldiermedic,
This will be our first Vintage Rally, we sent our registration off today. We would like to get on your list for leak testing. I have some persistent leaks that I need to get taken care of. Looking forward to having this done. I've followed up with a PM. Thanks..
TxToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have been looking around for a place to stay relatively close to the KOA, but there isn't much nearby. Last year was great as the Comfort Inn was a 30 second walk from the Campground. The KOA has cabins, but at $136.74 plus tax each night....I will look elsewhere.

Anyone live near the rally locale that can give a heads up on lodging?

Steve
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #32
Grandma - still learning

2000 27' Safari
Austin , Texas
Smile Gayland's not down and out!

Hey, Gayland still has his heart and soul very much in this rally and fully expects to be there. Last report he is doing very well but that should be up to him to tell. We are just following in his footsteps as he already had a great committee in place and working.

If you have not registered yet, please do so soon - that will help our planning committee tremendously. We have a variety of seminars in the works to interest many. A potluck, 2 catered meals, daily coffee service plus a first-class East Texas Opry show on Friday night is all included in the rally fee - $40/person. Bring your A/S parts, RV items, Arts/Crafts doo-dads, etc to sell or swap on Saturday.

Medicsoldier will be on-site to do "leak testing" by appointment. Please PM me if you wish to schedule an appointment with him or if you need specific info about the rally. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
....Judy
bajamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #33
Contributing Member

Seminars

This is very tentative. I'll have it set in concrete later this month:

Polishing - Thursday morning outside
Women's seminar - inside
Riveting - Thursday morning outside
Women's seminar - inside

Fantastic fan installation - Friday morning outside
Airstream Life Great Ideas - PowerPoint - Friday morning
A/S Electrical systems - PowerPoint - Friday morning
Airstream renovation - PowerPoint by P&S Trailer Services- Friday afternoon

Flea Market - Saturday morning
Open house - Saturday afternoon
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #34
Grandma - still learning

2000 27' Safari
Austin , Texas
Soldiermedic - sorry, I got it backwards. Must be "senioritis" or "old timers' dyslexia" I am researching motels near the KOA for you.....Judy
bajamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks Judy,

No problem on the name miscue.

Does anyone know what the weather usually is in the area that time of year? Last year we had 70s in San Antonio, but Houston has had a lot of cold weather lately. The higher the temps the better for the testing.

Steve
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Dang! I would love to attend but its "Mardi Gras Weekend" and my mother-in-law has requested the services of Sapphire The Safari for parade-route jambalaya cookin' and bathroom usin' ;-) I'd sure 'nuff bring my "Korean Martin" (a Sigma D-18 acoustic) fer some pickin' 'n grinnin' Texshustyle if you guys ever move the dates one of these years....sounds like a great time! My current band is Creole String Beans - New Orleans, LA -
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #37
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Gayland,
Don't know yet if we can make the rally this year, but I most certainly do remember your assistance and hospitality when we attended last year. I had picked up on a thread somewhere that you were having some health issues, but didn't realize they were so serious. My guess as to why you had so many coming to your aid was that you have been on the other end at one time or another for many of these folks. That aside, Airstreamer's are the greatest!!!!!!!!!! I hope folks don't lose site of this as we try to work thru some of the more contentious issues of WBCCI. Thanks for sharing your story. It should be an encouragement to all of us.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Stray,

I don't want to hear anything about you NOT coming to this rally. I haven't gotten to buy you since October when the weather was horrible. We need to have a good time in February.

Steve
Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Weather in Houston/Conroe

It's always a tossup at that time of year, could be in the 70s and could be in the 40s to 50s. Here it's driven by the cold front coming down from the North. First day is always miserable but but day three the Gulf of Mexico pushes it out and humidity goes up along with the temps.

Since we've already had a few freezes so far this year my bet is on the 70s and humid
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #40
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Stray,

I don't want to hear anything about you NOT coming to this rally. I haven't gotten to buy you since October when the weather was horrible. We need to have a good time in February.

Steve
Hey there Stevie Boy,
Let me know when that Flying Cloud is rolling thru Springfield to Tx and I'll see if I can fall in behind. I've actually got about 3-4 inches of mud and snow on my trailer from camping/traveling New Year's Eve weekend. Don't know if it will be melted by February or not. It's almost worth the trip to watch you sliding around on top of trailers doing your leak testing gig. However, work related issues (again) have things pretty uncertain at this time.

Tags
texas vintage rally, wbcci