Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cool 2009 Texas State Vintage Rally

It looks like the next (3rd Texas State) Vintage Rally will be at Braunig Lake RV Park just south of San Antonio from Feb 4 to Feb 8, 2009. I’m going down Tuesday for a face-to-face with the RV Park Rally Coordinator and should have a contract ready to sign when our unit approves our plans at our early March rally.

We had 83 rigs at this year’s rally and I requested 100 sites for 2009. We hope the more central location will help build attendance and the more southern location will help temper any cold snaps.

We will stick pretty close to the formula that has worked well over our previous vintage rallies. Lots of seminars, happy hours, very little structure. As in our previous vintage rallies, WBCCI membership is not a requirement for attendance and Airstreams of any year are welcome..

We had a unit rally at Braunig Lake several years ago, so we already have a good leg up on local attractions and choosing caterers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hopefully my vintage trailer, which is extra, will sell by then. If not - ya never know...
I've been wanting to get to that area for a couple of years.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Depends on who you want to be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
... We hope the more central location will help build attendance ...
I was unhappy to miss this year's rally as Kim and I thoroughly enjoyed last year's event.

Moving the rally to central Texas will probably all but rule us out from making it (driving time from AL) .

Back before we had our Airstream, we flew into San Antonio and really enjoyed our visit.

I envy retired persons with time to tow their American Classics to great places to visit.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
TomW
I kept looking for you this year. Sure missed seeing you and the wife. I enjoyed meeting you so much last year. I thought this year's rally was even better than last year's. I know it was bigger.

Sorry if moving the rally around causes you problems, but the consensus was that moving it around the state made it more inclusive and attractive to folks in and outside of Texas. The San Antonio site is just so full of the neatest things to see and do. Really, San Antonio isn't all that much further for someone traveling from Alabama. You might want to check out the mileage and think about it. There is the romantic River Walk and its outside restaurants along the river, romantic boat rides down the river, carraige rides, the Missions Trail, the Alamo, Sea World and the world famous San Antonio Zoo among the things I can think of just off the top of my head which are available to do outside the rally. San Antonio is a vacation in itself.

In any case, thanks for coming last year and thanks for the excellent review and pictures of last year‘s event that you posted!

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Contributing Member

The 2009 Texas State Vintage Rally is firming up!

This should be our biggest and best vintage rally. Non-WBCCI members are welcome.

We have a minimum of 100 sites reserved at Braunig Lake RV Resort. I have been the interface to the park up till now. The committee chairpersons will visit the park mid-September to familiarize those who have not been there previously and to make final arrangements with the park.

Braunig Lake impressed our Region President and he has scheduled a future region rally there. The park on I-37, is south of San Antonio, and easy to access. Folks coming from the north on I-35 can bypass most of the city by using Loop 410. It is a quick interstate highway trip from the park into downtown San Antonio and the Alamo, Mercado, River Walk, etc.

Here are some of the things to look forward to:

Plan to attend the 5thTexas Vintage Airstream Rally from February 4 -8, 2009, at Braunig Lake RV Resort on the South side of San Antonio. Texas Highland Lakes Unit of WBCCI will be hosting this special Rally for all owners of Airstreams – all years and models. Vintage trailers will be parked together with close access to bathrooms and showers.

A 1954 Flying Cloud that is in the process of restoration will be on site for illustration of sub-floor replacement, replacing spring suspension axle with Dexter Torflex Axle, frame repair, black and grey water tank installation, electrical wiring replacement and other restoration requirements. Special vintage seminars will also be given on polishing techniques and riveting, including buck riveting, and seminars of interest to everyone Including safety and trailer weight management. There will also be some sessions especially for ladies.

Vintage models, 25 years or older, will be showcased at a Public Open House with statewide publicity. Judging of Vintage models will be done by judges using the set of guidelines developed by Vintage Airstream Club. Awards will be presented including special awards for People’s Choice and Best Engineered Feature. Both the Open House and Judging are optional.

Besides our ever-engrossing study of vintage airstreams, there will be time for touring San Antonio’s Missions, Mercado and River Walk as well as our own “Swap and Sell” for Airstream parts and your own arts and crafts.

We will have as our special guest, Dale (PEEWEE) Schwamborn (see the Summer 2008 Airstream Life for an Interview). PeeWee is Wally Byum”s nepthew, and has had a life long association with Airstream. He will present seminars on the history of Airstream and WBCCI and has first hand stories of early caravans.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sounds great, I'm really looking forward to this.

I am going to tear into the rear end of my '63 this Fall to repair floor and frame damage, and I am REALLY hoping to have it back together by then. But if not I am still planning on coming down, at least for a day-trip.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Correction!

I had to retype some of the text and I managed to morph PeeWee from being Wally's cousin into being his nephew. PeeWee was Wally's second cousin.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I've made the last three Texas Vintage Rallies. Each year I've thought that it couldn't get any better, but it sounds like this one will top them all. Seriously, I have the most fun at this rally that I have all year whether its a summer vacation or rally somewhere else. This rally just rocks.
GStephens
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
A few requests:
Could you post links to the threads that reviewed/summarized the last 3 TexVins please.

Do you know if there are cabins at that RV park?
Do you know of the nearest "acceptable" lodging, motel, Inn etc.

I will not be bringing my trailer, if I can come at all. But I have wondered if Vintage owners who do come with trailer are able to opt out of any open house. Is it rude or not PC to prefer to keep one's trailer private?

thanks

dd
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I guess that now I have a deadline to meet to get my Overlander in useable (towable) condition. I had hoped the next rally would be in my backyard again again but San Antonio is a nice location.

I checked out the Braunig Lake RV website and it looks nice. If I can't "git 'er done" then I may have to stay at the Comfort Inn next door.

But I will be there!
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Vernon-- I think you, Todd, and I should all shoot for this as our deadline. Both of you are doing a lot more than I will have done, but you also both have a major head-start!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Vernon-- I think you, Todd, and I should all shoot for this as our deadline. Both of you are doing a lot more than I will have done, but you also both have a major head-start!
I'm going to take that as a challenge!
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
I'm going to take that as a challenge!
So let it be written, so let it be done!

Ummm... who's going to tell Todd that his deadline just became February 4th for the Texas State Vintage Rally?

-Marcus
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #14
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Distantdrummer, the open house and most everything else is optional. You certainly don't have to open up your trailer to the public although every year there are trailers in pretty much all states of repair from as found to fully restored. You may come in just for the open house totally free of charge on Saturday afternoon or you may opt to attend one or more days in order to attend various activities including some outstanding seminars and will be charged accordingly. I feel we are offering a great value.
SCHEDULED SEMINARS
Trailer wiring
Frame repair
Insulation installation
Tongue extension fabrication
Axle replacement and/or upgrade
sub floor repair/replacement
Gray and black tank installation
Polishing techniques
Interior panel and furniture removal
Riveting options
Period correct appliances and cabinets
sourcing of period correct parts
History of Airstream, vintage Caravans, and airstream’s founder, Wally Byam
Additional seminars covering a variety of subjects to be scheduled
Concourse d’Elegance
Peoples Choice Award
Judging of Participants
Awards Presentations
Expecting Over 100 Trailers.
Come Join Us

Parking fees of only $23 per day or $92 + Rally fees of $40 per person and/or $15 per child for an actual cost/day of only $33. Receive a $5 discount if received before Jan 1st. To register, contact Elaine Jackson, phone: 512-832-5663 or email @ elaine@gaj.com . Make checks payable to Texas Vintage Airstream Rally
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It looks like the next (3rd Texas State) Vintage Rally will be at Braunig Lake RV Park just south of San Antonio from Feb 4 to Feb 8, 2009.

We had 83 rigs at this year’s rally and I requested 100 sites for 2009. We hope the more central location will help build attendance and the more southern location will help temper any cold snaps.
This looks like a great rally. I could not make it last year. Out of the 83 Airstreams that attended last year, how many were vintage units?
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #16
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I believe there were 33 Vintage rigs signed up for last year's rally, but that one or two had to cancel due to inclement weather between them and the rally and that we issued refunds to them. There were rigs from 10 states and Canada. Most of those were Vintage. We all thought that the motor home from Ohio would get the "farthest traveled" award until the trailer from Alberta showed up. I believe I remember that our own forum's member, 87MH, received the People's Choice Award and I think he also may have earned the award for Best Polished Trailer.
GStephens
Old 08-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It looks like the next (3rd Texas State) Vintage Rally will be at Braunig Lake RV Park just south of San Antonio from Feb 4 to Feb 8, 2009. I’m going down Tuesday for a face-to-face with the RV Park Rally Coordinator and should have a contract ready to sign when our unit approves our plans at our early March rally.

We will stick pretty close to the formula that has worked well over our previous vintage rallies. Lots of seminars, happy hours, very little structure. As in our previous vintage rallies, WBCCI membership is not a requirement for attendance and Airstreams of any year are welcome..

We had a unit rally at Braunig Lake several years ago, so we already have a good leg up on local attractions and choosing caterers.
Hi John,

Non-wbcci members have asked me:

"Michael, how do I register for this most excellent rally"
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Contact Elaine Jackson; 1705A West Braker Lane; Austin, Texas 78734 or email her at elaine@gaj.com . Rally fees are $40 per adult and $15 per child (5-15 yrs). Rally fees cover meals and seminars. Parking fees are only $23 per night for full service sites. We are passing along the excellent parking rates we've received due to the expected size of this rally along directly to the participants. This is a great value.
GStephens
Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
When will there be a firm schedule of which seminars are going to be held when? Also will there be a disclosure of who will "teach" each seminar?

Some may not be able to be three for all and it might be helpful for planning my stay.

BTW I found the summaries of the past two TexVins, and I found the info on nearby lodging to next years.

thanks
dd
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Distantdrummer, while we haven’t nailed down exactly what time of day each of our seminars will be conducted, it is a safe bet that most will be offered Friday morning and afternoon and perhaps on Saturday morning.

We have Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn committed as a seminar presenter. Dale is a member of this forum whose forums name is Pee Wee. Dale lives in Nevada and will be bringing photographs and memorabilia of early caravans and WBCCI events in which he participated as the son of Helen Schwamborn who was the Airstream representative to the WBCCI back when Wally Byam was alive and when Airstream actively supported and controlled the WBCCI. Under her leadership the WBCCI grew to proportions it will likely never again achieve. Dale is also the 2nd cousin of Wally Byam (his mother and Wally’s fathers were brothers). As such, Dale worked for Airstream and scouted and participated in the Capetown to Cairo, European and South American caravans among others. He offers an intimate perspective on the history of Airstream through his own memories and through the wealth of photographs and memorabilia that was contained in his family’s estate. Dale will be onsite in a vintage trailer and available throughout the rally for conversation.

David Blakey and Pat McDowell will be concentrating on Vintage restoration. Both of these men own and have restored at least five vintage Airstreams. They are perfectionists. Pat will be bringing a ‘54 Flying Cloud that will purposely have part of the floor installed and part left open to allow for easy viewing of the frame repairs which have been done and the black and gray tanks that are installed. Additionally, a number of interior panels will be out allowing easy viewing of the wiring that has been updated and the insulation that was installed. Outside, the trailer will be used to demonstrate the installation of a new Torque Flex axle and the extension of its tongue. Part of the belly pan will be out to allow for demonstration on its reinstallation. David will be conducting simultaneous seminars on similar subjects of interest to the Vintage restorer.

Because the majority of our participants will not own a vintage trailer, we plan to also offer some seminars/activities suitable to their tastes. We have a chairman in charge of helping participants plan and tour San Antonio’s many unique attractions including its Spanish Mission trail, the River Walk, the Alamo, the Mercado, the International Zoo, Sea World and other attractions. We plan to offer seminars in towing safety probably to be offered by John Irwin who writes for Airstream Life magazine and we have extended an invitation to Rich Luhr, editor and publisher of Airstream Life. John has confirmed his participation in this year‘s rally; Rich has not.

There will be additional seminars not yet confirmed on a variety of other subjects as we have worked primarily on the vintage side to bring you the best we can offer. One seminar we hope to soon have committed is a seminar entitled Cooking on the Road. We hope to have an Airstream Service Manager conduct a seminar on various service issues. I think you can see that we’ve attempted to plan a complete, diverse and informative schedule even without the other seminars I've not mentioned as we’ve not yet firmed them up. I will know more about the remaining seminars in a few weeks.

We should have your questions answered and everything fairly well lined out by the middle of September as the Executive Committee for the Texas Vintage Rally will be going to Braunig Lake RV Park to tour the facility and finalize plans onsite at that time. I hope this helps to clarify at least some of your questions for now.

GStephens