Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Area 33 2020 | CANCELLED

Reserved dates: May 22 - 25
Please sign up on the rally calendar: http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...=2020-5-22&c=1

The basics: This rural spot has a group camp area with fire ring - wood included, great views, a babbling brook, 2 lovely porto-lets and a potable water spigot. If you want to shower you can drive a couple of miles down the road to the county park or we can dunk you in the icy creek (elk will be watching...) Camping is in a grassy but not level field with some sparse trees - no sand, gravel or asphalt slabs anywhere! Plan to boondock and arrive with full fresh water tanks (or water up just before you park at one of the two potable water spigots in the camping area) and empty black tanks.

Parking takes some planning and may be somewhat challenging. Almost all sites require backing but there is always help if you need it and an audience if you don't Almost everyone will need to unhitch and park tow vehicles away from trailers. Camping fees are yet to be determined but will be approximately $20 per night (cash and check only). This fee extends to each tent pitched as well.

Reservations are to be made on the calendar - please do not contact the property owner. I have reserved the entire place.

Hollenbeck Park is privately owned and located near Trout Lake WA
33 Mt Adams Rd.

Directions: From Hwy 141 North bound - Mt Adams Hwy
  • Bear right at Chevron Station (road splits) in town and go about 1/8 mile across creek. fair warning - town is hard to recognize - a small market or two - that's all. This intersection is near the County campground
  • Left at 3-way intersection - look for sign to park. Go about 300 feet down driveway
  • Right at sign to Hollenbeck park.
  • Drive down old runway 1900 ft (see hanger on left) to end of the runway. Cross irrigation ditch.
  • Camping to the left - we get the area with the fire pit and picnic table.. Please be careful about water spigots.
Just go ahead and park. One of the owners will come by on a small motorbike to collect. They do not take plastic! Checks OK.

Dumping: there is no dump station here - but the County park - seen on map quest link does have a dump station. You may dump "not too gray" water out of the way. Don’t ask - don’t tell.

This place is not in any phone book and the directions are kinda like a treasure hunt. The owner works at a day job and does not advertise. Some portion of this land is a working farm.

Garbage: Must be packed out or taken to county collection station several miles away although last year there was a central collection point on the property.
Connectivity: last year we had decent ATT cell service
Rain: Be prepared - bring a book.
Wind Likely. Weather is changeable this time of year and could be chilly
Waiting list: Please let me know if you are interested in attending and unable to get a spot. This rally location has limited parking space but once the list is full we may have cancellations - anything is possible.
Cancellations: If you cannot make it please let me know - there will a waiting list to attend.

here's a mapquest map

Meals and activities:
Meal planning will commence on the next post and will include several potlucks. Sign up please...
Planned activities - none.
Suggested diversions:
There are great hiking trails, good biking, an ice cave and white water kayaking nearby if you are so inclined.
Kite flying - excellent conditions
Long walks
Jamming - Change your strings, tune 'em up and join in.
Mountain Gazing - amazing views - bring a chair.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
MEAL PLANNING and Awesome VOLUNTEER opportunities
This post will be updated as folks sign up - please check back often.

We will have group meals on Friday and Saturday night as well as Sunday morning. There is the possibility of a Sunday night potluck as well - especially if someone wants to organize it. You are however free to make your own plans if a better offer comes along. We'll bring a couple of big outdoor stoves and cooking gear which are available to use. Assistance with scullery work and a brave person or two to organize camping fee collections would be appreciated.

Please bring your own plates and utensils to each meal as well as your own drinks. Facilities are limited and so we need to keep clean up really simple (no hot water). I'll update this post with food signups...

Thursday night: A few of us may come on Thursday and you are on your own for dinner.

---

Friday night: Wiener Night! An easy Friday meal for those who braving the Friday afternoon traffic rush. We'll supply Kosher dogs, veggie dogs and buns for all but could use some condiments, chips, sides and dessert. You are responsible for your own drinks, plates and cutlery.

Sides:
Condiments :
Dessert:

----

Saturday dinner | Western night!
Break out the boots, 10 gallon hats and get your rodeo vibe on! Western themed grub for this evenings meal and.... please be mindful of the house rules (just a reminder): NO ASPIC! You are responsible for your own utensils and drinks.
Please sign up for one:

Starters:
Mains:
Sides:
Salads:
Dessert:
----

Sunday B-fast: Eggs cooked to order and ham.
Good additions would be: Juice, picante bits for eggs, grated cheddar, hot cinnamon rolls or breakfast breads (several pans), fruit. Please sign up via PM or post to this thread.

Main: eggs, and ham for all - Janet

Starchy Bits and Fruit:

Egg Swag:

Juice:

----

Sunday Cocktail Event: Airstream Trivia Team Tussle. Bring your drinks, snacks and brightest minds for an Airstream themed trivia throw down. Weather permitting we'll make popcorn.

Sunday dinner: leftovers and better offers. No meal planned - just an impromptu potluck, unless someone offers to organize. << that is a hint....

---

Green Visor Crew (collect camping fees):

---

Scullery help - by appointment or conscription!

AirForums Custom Search
Old 03-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Sequim , Washington
Friday dinner: chips and dip
Saturday dinner: pinto beans
Sunday breakfast: fruit
BaroloRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
JANET AND FRIENDS!

We still very much are planning to attend this rally!

We realize some may self-select otherwise, but we also believe things will have changed a lot in the next three weeks. Of course, we also see this from the Montana perspective, where we've had a total of 453 cases with "only" 16 deaths - and I don't say that to diminish any of them. But, currently, there are only 5 Covid-19 patients and only in two hospitals.

SO, I admit we may see it differently here, than you all on the Coast!

We also have thought about the meals and before we add our contributions for potlucks, we wonder if "potlucks" have raised concerns with anyone.

SO... we thought with May upon us tomorrow, we should be doing some discussion on this "discussion thread!"

Ideas?

Dave and Jeri
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I heard Washington's Governor Jay Inslee extended the stay at home orders until the seventeenth of May. We still have to do a 14 day self quarantine if we leave the state of MT and come back. I am hoping some or all this will change but if it doesn't we will be staying home.

Dave, We have only had eleven cases over here in Silver Bow county and none in the last month.

Having said that, I am still getting the silver tube ready to go just incase things turn around. I have two water leaks to repair one easy and one is a pita. No freeze damage however.

We had a meal plan until everyone panic bought out all the meat Hopefully that improves as well.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We are still having new cases everyday and a few deaths here in Clark County, though the numbers are low. I wish they had some testing and tracking going on. Some groceries are a little hard to get.

I heard stay-at-home was extended in WA throughout May 31, and outdoor gatherings of more than 5 people outside your household were not allowed yet.

As much as we hate to skip it (the Caravel is ready to roll for a change) I think we will have to pass on this year.

Maybe we could look at a fall gathering instead, and hopefully this will all be safely behind us?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
1978 24' Argosy 24
Olympia , Washington
We have been looking forward to going, but

Part of the Klikitat Public Health statement reads:

In order for the outdoor recreation opportunities in our area to open there are requirements that must be met to ensure the opening does not result in a sharp increase in the amount of people coming to visit and recreate in Klickitat County and put additional stress on local resources. We understand the desire to go out and recreate as well as the mental and physical benefits that go along with it. However, not all recreation opportunities will open up as soon as May 5th, nor should everyone partake in the activities that do come available. People must recreate locally: Do not travel farther than necessary and do not stay overnight.

Not sure how much of this pertains to private parks and may not pertain by then, but will Hollenbeck Park be available for us?

Susan
LTD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Carmella and I are planning to join you. We also have new cases everyday and Oregon has lost about 110 and still no testing. We wear masks and gloves when we are outside of our house. We are very careful and mostly stay home. Thank goodness for online shopping. We may have to pass on the potluck however we really would like to see all of you. Stay safe and be safe. Ruth
Mame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
I just talked to a person at the Washington DOH. Washington is not lifting the travel restrictions until phase 3. Each phase is three weeks unless there is a resurgence. That puts it out until the middle of June. I spoke with a person at Klickitat county DOH. They are not applying for a variance at this time and are following state guidelines. As of right now if we leave the state of MT we have to self quarantine for 14 days when we get back.

I am sorry to say but we are bowing out.

Camping in our state is open so we may go someplace here or just stay home.

Maybe as Stef suggested we can postpone it for a couple months. Late September maybe? That works best for us anyway.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I spoke with Zoe at the park and the event is cancelled. I've asked her to let me know if she has any dates open in August and we are on the calendar for 2021.

With folks traveling from many places and much up in the air still, I think this is prudent. Stay safe folks - there's more camping down the road.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Thanks Janet, we look forward to seeing everyone at Area 33, but safer is better and we will look forward to see you all next time (or sooner). Area 33 Rally Rocks!

Rick and Paula
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'll miss seeing everyone, but stay healthy, and we'll all be around the campfire again soon enough!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Wah! I agree with Rick and Paula....Area 33 rally rocks! Sigh. But I have to keep reminding myself that if I don't have a cough or a fever, it's a good day. I hope we get to see you all soon and that everyone stays healthy!
Carmella
Mame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
1978 24' Argosy 24
Olympia , Washington
Thanks Janet. It's the best call for now. We've been looking forward to it and hope we can get together in August

Everyone keep healthy,

Bob & Susan
LTD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Thanks Janet. It is for the best. We felt that there are too many unknowns outside of our state. August or September either or.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
...As of right now if we leave the state of MT we have to self quarantine for 14 days when we get back....
Well, we're sad! And not because we might have had to 'bring our own food' rather than have a potluck! But because we'll miss seeing all of you!

The March "self-quarantine" including Montanans expired April 10 (and said "all people"). The present one now says "all visitors" coming from other places are to self-quarantine for 14 day. You may read it differently! We actually sat in a bar at the Montana Club yesterday for Happy Hour - they had just opened! Two-for-one! It was great!
So, we're opening here in Missoula!

Regardless, we'll be somewhere that long weekend - maybe down the Lochsa and into Idaho - or even sneak over to Spokane. But we'll really miss all of you, and the smell of the hay, the yellow iris' by the ditch, and the view!

Sadly, too, we will likely be in Europe next spring on a Viking riverboat - having rescheduled the trip we planned for next month that cancelled. So we will miss this next year, too! That was one reason why we so looked forward to this year! C'est la vie!

Dave and Jeri
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post

The March "self-quarantine" including Montanans expired April 10 (and said "all people"). The present one now says "all visitors" coming from other places are to self-quarantine for 14 day. You may read it differently! We actually sat in a bar at the Montana Club yesterday for Happy Hour - they had just opened! Two-for-one! It was great!
So, we're opening here in Missoula!

Regardless, we'll be somewhere that long weekend - maybe down the Lochsa and into Idaho

Dave and Jeri

I may have read it wrong. Kim is going for Chemo next week and MDT(work) told her she had to quarantine for 14 days when she got back. I was going off of that. about as clear as mud, lol.

Love the Montana Club.

Kim and I were thinking of going over to St Regis and staying at the Nugget RV Park to ride the Hiawatha Bike Trail again. I mentioned the Lochsa, We are still mulling our options.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Just got back from 4 days camping at a private RV park in a place called Remote RV Outpost in Remote, Oregon. It's 40 miles west of Roseburg on HWY 42. It was an official Oregon Unit rally until it was cancelled. The hosts gave us the choice of going on our own if we wanted to gather "unofficially". There were 10 trailers in attendance and social distancing was the rule. There were no potluck dinners, instead each trailer prepared their own meals and none were shared. We had a "happy hour" at 5 pm and gathered in a wide circle under shade trees (it was hot). We safely visited with each other and were careful to keep our distances. It was great to get out of the house and use our trailer. We had full hookups and were very comfortable with the amenities available. The county we were in allowed us to gather with no more than 25 people in attendance. None of us wore face masks. I think we were comfortable with the outcome. Hopefully we can rally at Area 33 later in the year using the same social distancing, foregoing the potluck meals, which I see as a possible contamination problem.

Stay safe & see you later in the year!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #19

2019 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
We will miss everyone this year and hope that all stay safe and sound. We will be taking Josephine out for some spins - namely to Olympic National Park and possibly Rocky Mountain National Park. We look forward to seeing all of you next year or possibly later in the season, or on the road! Take care, Tom and John
TomSchabarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
2005 25' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
Bummer!

We'll miss seeing all of you this month, but understand. We'd be up for an August or September gathering if something opens up at Hollenbeck. I guess this means we'll have to keep working on projects that weekend.....darn!

Rob and Diane
68tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote