Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
krw

1973 27' Overlander
malibu , California
how to eliminate lingering smell from grey water tank

Hello, first time posting here, and I'm hoping to get some answers from others who may have run into my challenge. I have a refurbished '73 Airstream Overlander that's currently parked on my property and inhabited by my sister. We can't seem to get rid of the lingering smell coming from the grey water tank, even with repeated use of grey water odor eaters. It's a stationary trailer at the moment, so we don't have the ability to agitate the water in the tank with a drive. Additionally, there isn't a trap or one-way valve connected to our shower , so odors have a direct pathway into the trailer. The grey water tank is in the belly pan and not accessible. Looking for advice on managing odors in this scenario -- there is a terrible smell most every time we run water. At this point, I assume there is bacteria living in the tank (sis is aware that no food particles can go down the sink, but no doubt there are some remnants?), but we can't seem to remove the odor without being able to agitate the water in the tank, or directly access the tank for a thorough physical cleaning. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Or ideas on what else the issue might be? Our noses thank you!
krw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
We use the same blue bags that are used to break down the black tank.

Evevery 3-5 grey tank dump, we andd a blue bag
There a many firms that make then and very easy to find at rv stores
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote