Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #221
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
You hit the nail on the head Carol. Members are FUNDING the leadership. I pretty much know that for fact. When I was told by a local Unit president that their TRIP to BOZEMAN Cost them nothing.
That's excatly why, They will never get any of my hard earned dollars. IT is my belief that everyone needs pay their fair share and you should not be free because you were a P or VP last yr or 14 yrs ago. That was then and now is now. Live in the NOW too many members are living in WHAT USE TO BE and need to be living in TODAY.
I don't have time to wait for a new club to be formed,I will not live that long. The members are great, we have camped with some of them.BESTIST people one would ever wanna meet. Oh I have been denied membership.Whats that tell ya.
I think AIRFORUMS is the place to be for us. I have big blue numbers on my trailer LOOK JUST AS GOOD as RED.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
When I was told by a local Unit president that their TRIP to BOZEMAN Cost them nothing.
Roger,

Unit President's mileage is not covered.. I wish it was! Actually, as a Unit President, the only thing given is a dinner.. which I boycotted out of frustration to the cost and that my fellow unit members could not attend...

Wish you'd join so that you could join us at the WBBB!

Rob
Your cousin
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 10-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #223
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
We've been members for a couple of years, and I do have some thoughts.

I'm Positive that after wearing a badge with my name on it during the week, I only wear one on weekends under duress. I'll do it occasionally, but it makes me feel like I'm still at work. That detracts significantly from the weekend.

I'm sympathetic with PeeWee's perspective, but I'm also positive that nothing remains constant. The club cannot be what it was; it must become what it will be. What it will be - should it survive the current administrative cycle - will reflect the desires of the next generation of members. This means, quite clearly, a much less centralized, much more tightly networked organization. The days of a few individuals being able to control all of the press about an organization are gone, and we're only seeing smoke and echoes of a dying methodology in the message board controversies.
Unfortunately I do not see how a new leadership approach is possible with the current selection/nomination process. I am profoundly disappointed in how nominations and elections are handled, and although I don't think it's hopeless, I do get a Louis XV sense: "Après moi, le déluge" (after me, the flood*). One hopes the transition will be smooth and the current club can persevere. It may not, and that would be a shame.

*from a wetlands site: "epitomise[s] the psychology of those who ruin people and the earth with no thought for tomorrow"
Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #224
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post

But they won't end their Grand North American Tours -- those will be funded until the very last dime is pulled from the till.

__
Leo what do you mean the leadership is paid to travel.

How much money do they get inquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I don't think transition will be smooth, but it needs to happen...I think PeeWee is dead on, and I think that the older ideals are correct...camping should, in my opinion, be fun, not an organizational function...you don't have to have a beret to have a campfire, and you don't need an ID badge to drink a beer...if you want to, ok, just don't expect me to do the same...I like the friends that WBCCI allowed me to meet, but the direction is disturbing....organization is imperative, but I'm tired of feeding folks who could care less about me except for my dues....fiscal responsibility is not difficult, just needs to be addressed...so, how do we do this? mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #226
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Rob
I think I miss quoted.
That unit president looked me in the eye and said thier campin at Boseman didnt cost them anything.She said they were there for almost two weeks. I don't think anyone paid thier fuel out there from here,but there again WHO KNOWS.
It makes me sad that a great orginazation is goin down the tubes,because of the Higher Escutcheon is squandering the money that is paid in by HARD WORKING People who are working so hard to make their local units work.But like someone said they Dont give a care for the little guy all they want is his dues money. KEEPER COMMIN BOYS.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Roger what did you mean "oh, I have been denied membership?"

photography
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Been There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Rob
I think I miss quoted.
That unit president looked me in the eye and said thier campin at Boseman didnt cost them anything.She said they were there for almost two weeks. I don't think anyone paid thier fuel out there from here,but there again WHO KNOWS.
It makes me sad that a great orginazation is goin down the tubes,because of the Higher Escutcheon is squandering the money that is paid in by HARD WORKING People who are working so hard to make their local units work.But like someone said they Dont give a care for the little guy all they want is his dues money. KEEPER COMMIN BOYS.
Roger,
You have no idea what you are writing about. Unit Presidents get nothing for travel. Nothing. The Presidents pay International rally fees just like everyone else. They may have to be at the International early to do stuff but they get nothing paid for.

Dude, you really need to step back and quit being a WBCCI basher when you have NEVER been a participating member.

Your posts are starting to get under my skin (I'm being PC here).

Lets just get this said; "Shut up about WBCCI stuff you know nothing about"
Ed
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Gee, Ed, how do you really feel?...I personally like this venue, as it allows folks to express their views, where ever they come from...kinda like having the military in front of you while you complain about the view...just one TTQ's opinion...mike
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #230
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Chief,
You have created a great thread...I look forward to sharing a six-pack with you...or maybe just a stick or two of firewood...your choice...mike
Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Feel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Gee, Ed, how do you really feel?...I personally like this venue, as it allows folks to express their views, where ever they come from...kinda like having the military in front of you while you complain about the view...just one TTQ's opinion...mike
I tell it like it is from being in the middle of the mix. Roger has NO idea what the WBCCI is about other than what he reads.

Anyone can bark but to have cred, in my eyes, they need to get involved and not throw stones without being a participant.

How do I feel, I think those that don't take the time to work within the WBCCI have no idea what the club is about and should shut the hell up.

there now you know how I feel, clear??????
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I have tried cauliflower several times. Each time I wonder why I tried it, as I really don't like it.

My wife loves cauliflower. I would never hold that against her. We never discuss my dislike of cauliflower, or her taste for it.

I have never tried to influence others one way or the other about cauliflower.

Why would I want to do that? I just avoid it, and eat what I like.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #233
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Chief,
You have created a great thread...I look forward to sharing a six-pack with you...or maybe just a stick or two of firewood...your choice...mike
Mike,

Either one sounds great! I've been known to sit around a fire, sipping a bit of Jack, and swapping tales of adventure......many, of which, are not suitable for the genteel community.

At the Regional Rally week-before-last, Tom Collier (IBT President) said that he gets either $1.06 or $1.08 from each WBCCI member (another person was taking notes for me, as I was not present for his question and answer period). What he has to budget from that.....I have no idea.....nor do I know how many members there are in WBCCI. My interest level went down when I realized that my membership for 18 months would have cost me 1.5 times what it should have.....he will just have to subtract that buck and change from this year's taxation.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I love lamb shanks but rustyrivet doesn't. So I get a great treat (for me) everytime her goes fishing with his buddies. Plus I get the whole king size bed to myself, while he is sleeping on the ground. Works for us. For now, Susan
Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #235
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Why would I want to join an organization where members tell others to "shut up" because they don't like what is said, or another member makes up things about me. You can learn a lot by reading about an organization from members and former members.

Gene
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Yeah, Ed but how do you REALLY feel...
IT"S A DISCUSSION, not a hate/dislike thrower...anger won't solve it...constuctive approach will...and, YES, funds are being dispersed for travel, meals, and location...look at the treasury records(kinda hard to access and interpret, but possible)...one use for IRS is back access(maybe the only one)...I spend $55/yr, and am happy to do that to support this organization, but not functions, travel, or meals for folks that don't know/don't care anything about me except my dues...it is happening...$5k for the international meal, alone...all I'm saying is pay yer own way, buy yer own food, share the rent on a dayhall...give the membership a break, balance the budget, and if it ain't there, DON"T SPEND IT...mike
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I've heard Ed's position before. I'm a veteran, but I don't think only veterans can have an opinion about the military. I don't think a person needs to buy stock in GM or Ford to have an opinion about the future of the American auto industry. I don't think a person has become a member of PETA or the National Rifle Association to decide one or the other isn't a good fit for them.

The WBCCI may be perfect for Ed and many existing members. It may not work for others. As artfully stated by Jim, some folks like cauliflower; others don't. If I didn't own an Airstream, I would have zero interest in the fate of the WBCCI or Thor/Airstream. Having made a significant financial and emotional investment in a vintage Airstream, I think it would be swell if the club and the company were at least modestly successful. As noted earlier, I really don't want to tell people, "Yeah, it's an Airstream, but it was made before Airstream sucked."

Many social organizations would kill to have members and potential members passionate enough to create a thread like this. Honestly, I haven't read any post where I thought the person wanted the the WBCCI to fail. Just like Airstream fails to tap into the incredible potential of this forum; so does the WBCCI. The "Come to a rally and have fun," well, it doesn't really address the fundamental issue... nor does waiting for the old guard to die. While some may find this thread uncomfortable, having people still interested in seeing a successful, growing, profitable WBCCI is a good thing. I just hope the passion in the Airstream community is as strong when the WBCCI is finally ready to change.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
What a thread!!!anger, protestation, insight, ignorance, sidelines, and...yes!!! even cauliflower...lordy but I love the AS forums!!!mike
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #239
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Woops, wrong thread
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #240
Rivet Master

I hesitate to even post to these wbcci-geared threads. It's a bit like walking in on a bar fight.
I am not a member and probably won't be. Not due to anything I've read here. This is great entertainment! I am just not a fan of clubs in general. And I really run from most ORGANISED activities like my pants were on fire.
I just want to go somewhere quiet and beautiful, and spend some time there enjoying it to the fullest.
The third-party information posted here about the financials of wbcci is really doing this thread a dis-service. The problems with third-party information are obvious and well known, as are the problems with the club.
I look forward to the part of this discussion where someone says "I have a great idea of what to do to help solve the problems with wbcci".
Who knows where it could go from there...

I wish you all the best of luck!
Rich the Viking
Closed Thread