Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
My wife is short also - only 4’12”.
PASSINTHRU - I missed this (4'12") until tonight My wife is 6' -12"
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GL
Idaho Falls , Idaho
We recently stepped down from a 2018 Legacy 34A diesel pusher to the 2018 Interstate. We both absolutely LOVE it... it's 10x easier to drive, you can park anywhere a Suburban would normally park. We have only taken two trips so far, but we actually just drove the AI around town and to get food, rather than bringing our tow vehicle.

The space is more limited inside, but there really is a TON of storage for a vehicle this small.

My wife would never drive the 34' pusher, but now she asks to drive the AI. We did a 12 hour drive home last weekend and didn't find the noise or comfort level to be problem... it was actually very pleasurable.
tjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Question for other interstate campers. They say many who own interstate don't actually camp in it. I do. Biggest downside is if you want to get away from campground for few hours, what to do with outdoor stuff such as chairs, mat, etc. Do you load it all back up? I have, as I feel it looks like abandoned stuff for the picking if you leave it. With a towed trailer, people leave their stuff out and drive the tow vehicle to explore. I do bike chain my bike and chairs to a tree if one is available but still feel uncomfortable leaving anything. What do others do?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In 26 years, we have always left our things outside in a public campground, and never had anything stolen.

If you are in a tagged site, that is notice to others that the site is taken and these things are yours.

If I were in a remote area, i would pack things up any time I left, but the general plan when heading to NF sites is to go prepared to stay for the duration.

There are a number of threads here on securing one’s rig and possessions while in a campground, and there are extremes of thought on the matter.

My experience has been that there is very, very little theft in campgrounds, and an equally low threat from others.

Most folks mean you and your stuff no harm.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #65
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Question for other interstate campers. They say many who own interstate don't actually camp in it. I do. Biggest downside is if you want to get away from campground for few hours, what to do with outdoor stuff such as chairs, mat, etc. Do you load it all back up? I have, as I feel it looks like abandoned stuff for the picking if you leave it. With a towed trailer, people leave their stuff out and drive the tow vehicle to explore. I do bike chain my bike and chairs to a tree if one is available but still feel uncomfortable leaving anything. What do others do?
MANSDERM161 - I hear you, I am never comfortable leaving stuff even for few hours. I carry long hefty chains & multiple locks. First, regarding bikes - my racing road bikes are too expensive to leave even locked (some are over $10,000). But in my experience, even a $50 bike is just as likely to be stolen even if locked. It's just the nature of bikes, it's no different than leaving a $5 bill or $100 bill. So if I had my racing bike, I will take it with me. If it was my 'bummin around' bike, I take the risk with chain & lock (only if I was in an established campground with many campers). Same with chairs, we bring 2 very nice chairs & 2 that have really gaudy/hideous colors. I will leave the hideous colored ones behind chained. The biggest sign I leave behind that the site is occupied & someone may be back anytime now is I purposely leave a cheap Wally World portable shade tent (again with hideous color). All of them are chained together if no tree, picnic table, or power stack is available. Having hideous colors make stealing less likely due to the colors being so hideous they are easy to spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colorful-chairs1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	324621   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopping.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	324622  

Old 10-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the info. I kinda like your hideous colors! Don't worry, if I see them I won't steal them! It seems I usually end up parked between 2 campers....one side is nice friendly and seem trustworthy and the other side more "iffy". Anyway, that is the only "downside" I've considered with my interstate. And, it does get a lot of attention....a lot of fellow campers want to peek inside, but I think that is pretty common for most airstreams! Some might consider that a downside. I even get approached at gas stations.
Debbie
Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #67
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Thanks for the info. I kinda like your hideous colors! Don't worry, if I see them I won't steal them!
MANSDERM161 - You and I are probably the only 2 Airstreamers who would even consider buying these hideous colored chairs. My own wife did not even want to look at them at first (except the purple, her favorite color). She doesn't mind so much now. Upside, hideous colors are cheaper
Old 10-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
We’ve owned 6 units since the launch of the 2014.5 model.

I believe the 2018, and 2019 units are, by a factor of 10, the loudest. Ok maybe not “10” but definitely louder. I believe it’s a function of the new fan installed by AS.
What fan are you referring to? Something that is running when the coach is on the road?

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Do others feel the AI is annoyingly noisy or uncomfortable on long drives?

We've logged 13,000 miles this year so far and I really can't say there is any objectionable road noise, wind noise, or engine noise to speak of. Yes, I have very good hearing. And we never have music playing.

The only wind noise is when there is any sort of cross wind or if a semi is passing you at speed coming at you on a two lane road. Mercedes wind-tunneled this thing to death for straight on wind. The only engine noise is when I'm pulling up a hill. The only road noise was from an out of round tire that thankfully got replaced along with all the rest just a week ago.

Your challenge will be how to silence your dishes, bottles, silverware, etc. when you travel. Fortunately, Dollar Tree sells rolls of that cushy waffle holed stuff that you can cut into pieces for placing between bowls, glasses, etc. I even once saw a fellow AI user display special cylinders made of the stuff for his bottles. Nifty.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Agree, you have to learn to pack your things or it sounds like an earthquake is going on behind you!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ninety Six , South Carolina
Exactly our story as well. We had a Tiffin Breeze, diesel pusher, that my wife would only drive occasionally. We love our 2018 AI....went to the Biltmore Estates last week, and she drove the entire trip and loved it. Agree on the storage...plenty!
428303 is offline   Reply With Quote