Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2021, 01:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Pre-Purchase Inspection for 2016 Airstream Interstate GT EXT

Hello forum members, I have been lurking for awhile but given that we are now looking to make a purchase I have signed up to the forum and have been very impressed with the information.

We are currently looking to purchase a 2016 AS Interstate GT EXT and are looking for a Pre-Purchase Inspection in the SoCal area.

It is short notice but with the crazy market I have already lost out on a few deals as I was just to slow to take action. I just thought about looking in the forum and was hoping to get some help.

If anyone has some connections in SoCal or needs additional information, please DM me and we can follow-up

Thanks
bareftrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Pre-Purchase Inspection for 2016 Airstream Interstate GT EXT

I’m unsure if you’ve received the advice you needed for your pre-purchase inspection.

Have you considered doing a thorough walk-through with the current owner, while you test each system completely? Then look at the car fax, and service history (vin + ASI vin reviewed with AS to see AS service history).

This really can be a very manageable project for a new buyer, who’ll need to learn the systems operation anyway (such as how-to-create hot water for a shower, how to empty the tanks etc).

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Scott, thanks for your reply. I have received a pre purchase checklist so to speak, of things to check and go over with the current owner.

We have an appointment to look things over and test out the systems and test drive the unit. I just wasn’t sure how others had gone about their purchases and what level they had checked out their units when purchasing from a private party seller.

One other thing, do you or anyone else have any recommendations on how to handle a deposit on a long distance purchase? Should the deposit be held in an escrow by a third party or do most people just trust the sellers and send the deposit? What kind of documentation would one use to verify that a deposit was paid? Then what would be the preferred payment option for the deposit?
Old 09-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Well, I would say that the trip to see the van was a bust, , but an important lesson was learned.

When we showed up to look at the van, I doubt that we spent anymore than 5 minutes there. The van was dirty both inside and out, the rear bumper had a scuff and drivers rear corner of the bumper cover flopped around. The side screen door did not latch, the rear screen was off the tracks and didn't work, the awning was supposed to be replaced last week, but it was obvious that it had not been replaced as it wasn't completely rolled in. Additionally there was evidence of a heavy pet odor, when the owner mentioned no pets and everything worked

This is the first van I have inquired about without doing a FaceTime walkthrough. I had tried to do a FaceTime call with the owner but he said he couldn't do one.

Anxious to get a van and knowing that a good deal would be gone quickly, I jumped the gun and went to look at it. Luckily we used airline miles and hotel points for the trip so the expenses were low.

The Lesson Learned: DO NOT travel a long distance incurring expenses and potentially wasting your time without a video walkthrough!

Not sure how people can advertise as pet free and saying that their coach is in good condition knowing about these problems. I suppose that pet owners have become accustomed to the odors and do not recognize that a non pet owner would recognize and be turned away by such.

It would be much better to be honest with potential buyers than to deceive and hope that they will buy it anyhow since they travelled to see it.

So the search continues...
Old 09-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
I was in your shoes a year ago. I spent hours searching for a used camper van. I would find one we were interested in and heard over and over, "Already sold." Buying from a private seller is hard and it can be frustrating.

We lucked out with our 2017 AI Lounge EXT. I found it at a dealership in NC and called. (We live in Virginia.) They had a potential buyer, but encouraged me to put in a bid as they felt the buyer would not qualify. Working with Howards RV in Wilmington, NC was a very positive experience. This was the second time they sold this unit on consignment and were very familiar. The sales person I worked with sent me countless pictures and videos and answered every one of my crazy questions. We had everything in place before buying plane tickets to go look and pick it up. We could have walked away had it not turned out to be as presented, but the dealer was honest and above board so it worked out. They even gave us a loner car when the van needed to go back to the MB dealer for a final item. All around an excellent experience. They spent several hours with us going over all the systems.

Do not get discouraged. I think with patience you will find one especially since so many people jumped into buying RVs during the pandemic. We were one of those, but we have put 10K miles on ours in the past 11 months and love using it. Some folks don't realize the other price tag that comes with buying one of these units. Namely, fuel, insurance, personal property taxes, maintenance...We have a separate account I put money in every month to cover these items. It costs money sitting parked so planning for these expenses is important. But we love our times on the road.

Good luck and try hard not to get RV fever. The right unit will come along. I really think in the coming months as people have to reevaluate their finances with inflation on the rise they will need to sell. Also, be aware of units you may find in Canada. I fell in love with one there but quickly realized bringing it into the US was a huge problem. Good luck. Happy to answer questions as your search continues.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We bought a used 2016 AI Lounge about a year ago. It's very nice indeed, but like any RV, new or used, it had its issues when we bought it. In comparing this used unit to our previous brand new Airstream trailer, I have to say we've not had any more issues with this unit than we had with our new trailer. It took us two years to get that new trailer where it should have been when we took it off the dealer's lot, so what we've done with this van is peanuts by comparison.

We've addressed everything for the van that had to be resolved, and keep a short list of "nice to have" things we'd like to address as parts become available via the still-messed-up supply chain. We also upgraded our batteries / inverter / solar (400Ah of LFP batteries, 3000 watt Victron hybrid inverter/charger, 360 watts of solar with a Victron controller, and a Victron Cyrix battery combiner), and we added a hood to the Fantastic Fan on the roof so we can still use it in the rain or while driving down the road.

We did the emissions recall and the wheel speed sensor recall. We of course filed for the Bluetech settlement payout, since that recall became public weeks after we bought our unit. We did the 40K "B Service" at 37K when we bought it last year, and the "A Service" this fall despite being short on mileage since some of these services (e.g. lube, oil, filter, etc.) are done by miles or time. She's now at about 48K.

We spent three months camping in her this summer and are now on the road again for a couple of weeks this fall.

So, aside from the normal level of aggravation that anyone can expect from owning an RV, I'd have to say our overall experience with this used unit has been at least as good as our experience with our previous brand new unit. Sure, our repairs to this unit have been out of warranty, but we paid so much less for used vs. new that we're still way ahead on the total dollars invested. So, if you don't get the fever, you're picky about what you wind up buying, and you don't overpay by too much you can do just fine with a used unit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We have been through this stuff on a number of "big ticket" items. Somehow with a video walk through they just accidentally happen ( for some completely unknown reason) to do the shot from an angle that does not show the bullet damage or the blood stains. Just how they expect you to *not* notice these when you show up .... I have no idea.

I've actually had a situation where I pointed out (obvious) issues and been told "no those aren't there". I guess some folks build their own reality and go off and live there.

It is not at all unusual on an internet based deal to make several (expensive) trips to see stuff and then back out. What matters to you may not matter to me. The only way to really evaluate this or that is to put your eyes on it. ( = what's "easy to fix small items" ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Good points. Also, regarding our experience, we were lucky enough to (1) find a unit relatively close by in RV Trader that was easy to go see, and (2) buy our van before the craze for Class B vans really exploded. Things are probably different this year vs. last. (sigh)

Old 09-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
I was in your shoes a year ago. I spent hours searching for a used camper van. I would find one we were interested in and heard over and over, "Already sold." Buying from a private seller is hard and it can be frustrating.

Good luck and try hard not to get RV fever. The right unit will come along. I really think in the coming months as people have to reevaluate their finances with inflation on the rise they will need to sell.
MountainLife, Thanks for sharing your experiences. We have a TT already but have been looking for a Motorhome RV for quite awhile. Only recently have we been actively pursuing the ASI. We went from wanting the ASI to a Sprinter Class C to a Class A - Diesel Pusher before reevaluating our needs and deciding on the ASI GT EXT. It is only the two of us so we feel the Grand Tour is the model we would prefer.

We have looked at a few private party units locally. This is the first one we have traveled to look at and as I mentioned, there was an important lesson learned here.

I have plenty of patience and agree that there will likely be a few units coming for sale due to the pandemic buying spree. Just hoping that I can spot the right one before I get the dreaded, "Already sold"
Old 09-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post

We've addressed everything for the van that had to be resolved, and keep a short list of "nice to have" things we'd like to address as parts become available via the still-messed-up supply chain. We also upgraded our batteries / inverter / solar (400Ah of LFP batteries, 3000 watt Victron hybrid inverter/charger, 360 watts of solar with a Victron controller, and a Victron Cyrix battery combiner), and we added a hood to the Fantastic Fan on the roof so we can still use it in the rain or while driving down the road.

So, aside from the normal level of aggravation that anyone can expect from owning an RV, I'd have to say our overall experience with this used unit has been at least as good as our experience with our previous brand new unit. Sure, our repairs to this unit have been out of warranty, but we paid so much less for used vs. new that we're still way ahead on the total dollars invested. So, if you don't get the fever, you're picky about what you wind up buying, and you don't overpay by too much you can do just fine with a used unit.
Rocinante, Man it sounds like you have really did some nice upgrades to your unit. We are looking in the 2016-2018 year range and are willing to make similar upgrades as needed. I'm sure there are threads here on the forum that I will need to visit to get familiar with the most common upgrades such as you have did for your van.

We have the fever, we are extremely picky about what we want in the condition of a van and are hoping to find a reasonable deal that meets our needs without overpaying. Most importantly, I am extremely patient.

If anyone has any potential leads on a 2016-2018 GT EXT, please PM me.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We have been through this stuff on a number of "big ticket" items. Somehow with a video walk through they just accidentally happen ( for some completely unknown reason) to do the shot from an angle that does not show the bullet damage or the blood stains. Just how they expect you to *not* notice these when you show up .... I have no idea.

I've actually had a situation where I pointed out (obvious) issues and been told "no those aren't there". I guess some folks build their own reality and go off and live there.

It is not at all unusual on an internet based deal to make several (expensive) trips to see stuff and then back out. What matters to you may not matter to me. The only way to really evaluate this or that is to put your eyes on it. ( = what's "easy to fix small items" ....)

Bob
uncle_bob, Looking back on the pictures I received, I now see the use of that "shot from an angle that does not show" the signs of the non-functionable items. I agree, how do they expect people not to notice these things? I suspect perhaps that they must think since someone was willing to travel that perhaps they were committed to buy the unit regardless of the issues. This couldn't be farther from the truth in my case.

We have missed out on a few that were already sold. We do have other leads we are looking at so hopefully we can find the right one without too many additional disappointments along the way.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #12

Cool! If you're not already conversant with Airstream Classifieds and RV Trader, spend some quality time there. I have also noted there are a couple of Airstream Interstate specific groups on FB, and every so often someone there posts exactly what it sounds like you're looking for: a covid-fever-bought Class B that they now realize they aren't / can't really use. They are all over the place geographically, but you never know when one will show up in your area.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Cool! If you're not already conversant with Airstream Classifieds and RV Trader, spend some quality time there. I have also noted there are a couple of Airstream Interstate specific groups on FB, and every so often someone there posts exactly what it sounds like you're looking for: a covid-fever-bought Class B that they now realize they aren't / can't really use. They are all over the place geographically, but you never know when one will show up in your area.
Rocinante, Thanks for the tips, we just found the FB Airstream forums, thanks to an Air Forum members recommendation. We don't do FB but did have an account for my business so I looked and found the AS groups. Will be looking there now and found 3 listings in our own state. Down side is they are all the Lounge model and we prefer the GT.

Trying to stay patient and are confident that the right rig will show up somewhere. We are still willing to travel given the right parameters.

Note to self: Don't make the same mistake twice...
Old 09-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Good points. Also, regarding our experience, we were lucky enough to (1) find a unit relatively close by in RV Trader that was easy to go see, and (2) buy our van before the craze for Class B vans really exploded. Things are probably different this year vs. last. (sigh)
Things are much different this year vs. last year. We have a friend that bought a 2016 GT with 16k miles last year for $106k. It looks like the same unit now is selling for $120k - $135k. While there may be a rush to sell "covid-fever-bought Class B" vans not so sure that the market rates will drop much as mentioned previously by ScottP about affluent grandparents willing to buy these units.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftrz View Post
Things are much different this year vs. last year. We have a friend that bought a 2016 GT with 16k miles last year for $106k. It looks like the same unit now is selling for $120k - $135k. While there may be a rush to sell "covid-fever-bought Class B" vans not so sure that the market rates will drop much as mentioned previously by ScottP about affluent grandparents willing to buy these units.
Hi

Back when we ordered our GT, we got a price of X ( which was below MSRP by a bit). We had the alternative (from the same dealer at the same time) of paying more than a bit more than X for a used GT that we could drive away immediately.

I'm pretty sure he sold the used one and got his price.

I can't imagine this happening a couple years ago I also can't imagine it happening a few years from now. Yes part of that is delivery times. Some of it is "ready to go on the lot at the start of camping season". Still, I don't see it happening down the road.

Bob
Old 09-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
I can't imagine this happening a couple years ago I also can't imagine it happening a few years from now. Yes part of that is delivery times. Some of it is "ready to go on the lot at the start of camping season". Still, I don't see it happening down the road.
UNCLE BOB - No one imagined it happening a couple years ago. BUT IT DID! So if it did, how can anyone say I can't imagine it happening a few years from now. If it ALREADY did, then it can again.

You brought up 2 main reasons but I submit there are 3 -

1. "Part of that is delivery times" - no argument from me. I had contacted ARV about building to my specs. Mr. Neundorfer said 1.5-2.0-yrs. I said "No Thank you". I did not tell him what my brain wanted to tell him.

2. "Ready to go on the lot at the start of camping season" - totally agree, which is why I am currently evaluating if we want an ARV spec van instead of my own design. Lots of money to still only get a spec van - that is what prevents me from pulling the trigger. I have to admit it is a hair trigger right now.

3. BUT there is a 3rd reason - the pandemic taught many of us (working, semi, or fully retired) that life is not only short but can be taken away instantly. Yes we knew that before but it became more acutely evident as thousands died everyday for what seems like an eternity. That is a hard reality to erase from a society's collective psyche in the next few months, regardless of how good everything returns back to "normal". That reality transcends any racial, ethnic, political, professional, religious, sexual orientation, or whatever demographic identity exists out there. "You can't take it with you" is a tired old cliché that is always true. But in times like the pandemic, "Spend it while you can" seems to drive that point more. It is especially true for retirees with gobs of disposable income to purchase an rv cash.

Just within my personal circle of friends in the same age group, it is a scenario that has been put up front and center for 24x7 and almost 19 mos. That is a freakin' 19 mos. off the life of a lot of 50-70 yr. olds with very little enjoyment to show for it. Heck, Ticketmaster just cancelled the family 6-pack tickets I purchased for front row seats to the Backstreet Boys Christmas Special in Vegas on Dec. 23 citing Corona virus variants. We were looking forward to this with my 2 daughters and 2 grandkids because my daughters were teeny-bopper fans of BSB in the 80s. With all the stupid fees, all I can say is there goes multiple Service B's down the black tank. So with the event cancelled, I got all my monies back but I would've preferred to have spent it away. So when faced with those decisions on whether to purchase now or wait, the answer is always "we got the money now so why wait later, when we potentially may not be physically capable of using it?" Personally, I live by a modified version of that cliché - "When I die, I want my bank account balance to be $0"!

EDIT: BTW - That demographic of retirees with disposable income is still only growing. So good luck to those competing with grandma's cash.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The normal thing that stops these "boom times" in the RV business is that folks run out of money. There is a very finite portion of the population that can afford to put $200K cash into an RV. There is also a fairly finite (though much larger) group that can afford to finance that chunk of change. Past that there is a vastly larger group that can qualify for financing, but can't really pay all the bills down the road.

It's the "churn" in that third group that is the big variable here.

There are other drivers as well. Yellowstone had a million visitors in July..... yikes .... That's not an "experience" I'd describe as fun.

We'll see how it goes. I'm still betting on things calming down in a couple years. That's not the same as "everything back to the way they used to be". Indeed things have changed.

The only real point is that nobody really knows. These are all guesses. If the "not so crazy" guess is correct, used RV prices will drop quite a bit a few years out. If that matters to you, then it needs to be considered.

Bob
Old 09-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #18

Yup, to some degree it comes down to the value of having an RV now, vs. having an RV in a couple of years. How much of a differential are you willing to pay to get that RV now so you can use it during a time when you might otherwise be waiting for prices to come down while doing other things until that time comes? If that number is zero, definitely wait. If that number is significant, then maybe keep looking around and perhaps the right unit for you will come along.

Old 10-01-2021, 12:05 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
So when faced with those decisions on whether to purchase now or wait, the answer is always "we got the money now so why wait later, when we potentially may not be physically capable of using it?" Personally, I live by a modified version of that cliché - "When I die, I want my bank account balance to be $0"!

EDIT: BTW - That demographic of retirees with disposable income is still only growing. So good luck to those competing with grandma's cash.

Quote:
Yup, to some degree it comes down to the value of having an RV now, vs. having an RV in a couple of years. How much of a differential are you willing to pay to get that RV now so you can use it during a time when you might otherwise be waiting for prices to come down while doing other things until that time comes? If that number is zero, definitely wait. If that number is significant, then maybe keep looking around and perhaps the right unit for you will come along.

For the past year and a half peoples lives and ability to travel freely have been restricted. Who knows what the future brings given the variants that are being announced.

There is an intrinsic value in being able to travel freely and enjoy our great nations beauty. Therefore, I believe that the demand for the high end RV's will remain strong. There are too many baby boomers out there that have disposable income who have worked their entire lives and are ready to enjoy retirement, I know I am, haha.

Sure the market prices may be high, but remember, enjoy it while you can as Covid has shown us that life is uncertain and can be taken from us in a moment. It does no good to be the richest man in the graveyard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Personally, I live by a modified version of that cliché - "When I die, I want my bank account balance to be $0"!
Old 10-01-2021, 06:57 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

My concern is for the folks who have no choice but to finance the RV and are tempted to "reach a bit" in that regard. If they hit a financial wall in a few years, ( and yes this does happen ....) they may well be upside down on their RV.

As far as "do it now", yes indeed get *something* and get out and go camping. That something might be a tent. It was for us for 40+ years. It might be something else.

Bob