Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Outside shower problem

This is gonna be one of those trips......

Doug went to turn the outside shower off last pm and the cold water handle spun on tightening and began to leak.

The plastic thingy within the cold water handle seems to be the problem. It will neither tighten nor come out. The same item on the hot water is firmly in place.

We cannot find a shut off for the outside shower, so the pump has to be turned off and kept off to prevent water rushing out of this.

We also cannot find a way to access the innards without removing the exterior housing, and not sure how to do that.

We're thinking disassemby is required, then replacement of the part.

Thought we would make a stab at it before driving in to a dealership. Some guidance would be appreciated.

Picture is upside down due to IPad, sorry.

Thanks,

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	190826  
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We twisted the white bit in the center counterclockwise and it did come off.

The white piece inside does not seem to be broken but can't see a way to put it back together.

Doug is strolling the campground, looking for veteran RV'ers who might be able to help.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
A quick search brings up this Maggie.

Outside Shower repair
"I don't know what you have but the ones I have worked on were pretty simple.

Don't take any screws out. You should be able to access the back side of the shower in a cabinet. There you will find one nut on each water line. After the water lines are removed there will be two more nuts holding the faucet in place. When all four nuts are removed push the faucet out from the inside. Go around outside, unscrew the vacuum breaker and you should be holding the disconnected faucet in your hand. With a 2001 trailer you may find that the nuts can be removed by hand without tools.

You may find that the faucet is mostly all plastic and just pressed together. They are considered disposable and probably not rebuild-able.

When mine was leaking I bought a complete damaged shower on eBay for $12, took the faucet out of the damaged housing and put it into my housing. If you don't remove the housing, you don't have to worry about resealing it."

Hope this helps.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It doesn't, but thanks. We have nothing visible the other side of this shower, nothing in a cabinet or from underneath the vehicle.....Doug crawled under with a flashlight and looked. Are afraid to just take the outer bits apart.

I did do a search before starting this thread, could find nothing related to our problem. Looked online and at AS online for a diagram, could not find that either.

We also went thru the manual and literature that came with this, and couldn't find anything in there.

Heading into town.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Fixed!

Many kudos to service manager Rick Jaeger of Lewie's RV on Highway 371 in Brainerd, MN, and his super-tech Rick Hines who just happened to come by the dealership on his way to do something with his deer plot. Lewie's was highly recommended by the campground hosts and ranger at Gull Lake campground.

They get 4 stars from us today.

The inside access to the outside shower is under the refrigerator.

Rick H. laid on his back in this area, removed the bolt or whatever holding the faucet assembly on and quickly replaced it with one they had in stock. Voila!

His diagnosis was a crack, probably from a freeze at some point.

$75 later, on our way.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Glad you got it resolved Maggie - as usual, I was clueless! 8-/
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
A quick search brings up this Maggie.

Outside Shower repair

Don't take any screws out. You should be able to access the back side of the shower in a cabinet. There you will find one nut on each water line. After the water lines are removed there will be two more nuts holding the faucet in place. When all four nuts are removed push the faucet out from the inside. Go around outside, unscrew the vacuum breaker and you should be holding the disconnected faucet in your hand. With a 2001 trailer you may find that the nuts can be removed by hand without tools.

You may find that the faucet is mostly all plastic and just pressed together. They are considered disposable and probably not rebuild-able.

. If you don't remove the housing, you don't have to worry about resealing it."[/I]

Hope this helps.

Dave
This actually was almost exactly the case, Dave.

We didn't think to look UNDER the frig and rather behind the closet next to it, which is where it actually was. We did open the cabinet beneath but saw nothing that looked like the back of the outside shower.

However, we did NOT stand on our head to see what Rich went right to in about 15 seconds. The whole thing did come off in Rick Jaeger's hands, and they had the new one on in about 30 seconds.

Now that Doug knows where it is and what it all looks like (he was next to Rich on the floor, holding the flashlight), if it happens again we will save ourselves the labor cost.

Maggie