Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Creaking Wood Trim

We just finished our third long trip in our 2017 AI lounge. Happy to report the coach performed great in every way, including keeping everyone in the back sufficiently cool in spite of temperatures that reached into the mid to upper 90s during one day of driving (without using generator/rear A/C). The Interstate received rave reviews from all 6 family members (inc. me)!

The only exception/issue that just about drove us crazy was an incessant creaking that seemed to be coming from the vicinity of the bath rear wood trim - either the corner trim piece to the rear of the bath or maybe from the area between the bath and the side jump seat.

I know creaks and rattles are normal, but this creaking noise was near-constant whenever we were moving, even while on smooth highway, and it was very loud. It definitely seemed beyond normal tolerances. We had noticed it quite a bit on our last trip but ignored it - this trip it seemed to be even worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am taking it to our dealer later this week to have a new microwave installed (ours was delivered with severe scratching as a result of the rubber piece being missing from the lock) and plan to ask them about it, but wondering if anyone has a self-remedy or perhaps some information/instructions to offer to the dealer?

As always, thanks in advance.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
We just finished our third long trip in our 2017 AI lounge. Happy to report the coach performed great in every way, including keeping everyone in the back sufficiently cool in spite of temperatures that reached into the mid to upper 90s during one day of driving (without using generator/rear A/C). The Interstate received rave reviews from all 6 family members (inc. me)!

The only exception/issue that just about drove us crazy was an incessant creaking that seemed to be coming from the vicinity of the bath rear wood trim - either the corner trim piece to the rear of the bath or maybe from the area between the bath and the side jump seat.

I know creaks and rattles are normal, but this creaking noise was near-constant whenever we were moving, even while on smooth highway, and it was very loud. It definitely seemed beyond normal tolerances. We had noticed it quite a bit on our last trip but ignored it - this trip it seemed to be even worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am taking it to our dealer later this week to have a new microwave installed (ours was delivered with severe scratching as a result of the rubber piece being missing from the lock) and plan to ask them about it, but wondering if anyone has a self-remedy or perhaps some information/instructions to offer to the dealer?

As always, thanks in advance.
It's coming from the bath wall and the side facing seat, the wall with the TV mounted. Took me and my wife a few miles to figure it out. Try slipping a piece of folded paper between the wall and wood seat base. Ours was loud, sounded like a knocking or crackling when driving down the road.
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
I would have someone drive the rig so you can go pinpoint the source, I used a can of WD-40 to spray on the suspected spots to quiet them down then come back to do further sealing or glueing
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
May I also suggest you check out Jeff64 detailed squeaks and rattles posting, there's a lot you can do to quiet things down to enjoy your rig. I used DAP "Seal and Peel" caulking on all the joints including the dashboard which acts as glue but you can peel it off cleanly when you need to remove a panel.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Cabinets and panels are usually reasonably well anchored to the vehicle, but almost never to adjacent cabinets and panels, so they move against one another and creak.

The best way to isolate them is by inserting wedges or thin strips of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) polyethylene, typically sold by woodworking and cabinetmakers' supply houses.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the replies! Very helpful. Going to start with trying the UHMW poly first.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
It's coming from the bath wall and the side facing seat, the wall with the TV mounted. Took me and my wife a few miles to figure it out. Try slipping a piece of folded paper between the wall and wood seat base. Ours was loud, sounded like a knocking or crackling when driving down the road.
Had the exact same thing. Brought Luna up to Jackson Center last fall for other repairs while still under warranty and they added a strip of plywood with the matching veneer between the frame and the bath wall and screwed it to the horizontal base. Then they added 3 screws through the metal frame, the strip of wood and into the bath wall. Worked like a charm, tightened up the contact between seat base and wall. The frame already has the holes where the screws were added.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Memphis , Tennessee
I had the same thing. I used a little wd 40. I had to do it two-three times and no more creak/squeak.
Kevru is offline   Reply With Quote