Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
Charging Phones iPads, kindles and the like

so sitting here this morning just typing away on my iPad and wondering what I am going to do about charging these beasties in Morrison (ok my wife named the unit Morrison.... as in Van Morrison ). I have an almost unlimited supply of IOS charging blocks and cables so having a set for just Morrison is not an issue. But I am wondering about the logic of having the inverter change the power from AC to DC and the have the charger change it back. On the other had I know of only two 12vdc power outlets and the are both in the cab, and it would be nice to be able to plug in when in bed to finish that last chapter.

Thoughts ?
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I added two 12vdc power ports in the rear curbside upper cabinet. Between that, the one next to the driver's seat, the one in the overhead and the one in the dash/ashtray compartment (plus another one for my iPhone that is connected to the Kenwood deck in the center dash console) I'm good to go.

I agree it is silly to use an inverter to go from 12vdc to 120vac back to 12vdc. And inefficient if you are boon-docking as well.

GM
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Does the interstate not have a powered USB port up front? A lot of vehicles come standard with these now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The Kenwood has a USB connector but AS puts it in the glove box. I put mine in the central overhead compartment above the deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Does the interstate not have a powered USB port up front? A lot of vehicles come standard with these now.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I added two 12vdc power ports in the rear curbside upper cabinet. Between that, the one next to the driver's seat, the one in the overhead and the one in the dash/ashtray compartment (plus another one for my iPhone that is connected to the Kenwood deck in the center dash console) I'm good to go.

I agree it is silly to use an inverter to go from 12vdc to 120vac back to 12vdc. And inefficient if you are boon-docking as well.

GM
did you come from the DC distribution panel or tap in to something and I would need one on each side we are an IOS kind of family 2 iPads 2 iPhones and two iPods but I think we will only bring one of those and it wil stay in Morrison full time unless it is getting updated
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Adapters with 5v USB output that plug into 12v receptacles are available.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I ran a new 12vdc line to the DC distribution panel. It's quite easy to do. You simply remove the control panel's four screws and carefully place it in the right compartment next to it while you work (out, up a bit and over, and don't disconnect anything). Then run the wires down the shower wall, then under the seat, then to the panel. It's easy to do.

I mounted a double DC outlet in the upper right hand corner of the locker just to the right of the control panel, and put it on its own circuit. I had to drill a small hole for the wire. I also use it to power a "Surf on the Go" Pepwave 4G router that I use when on the road for internet access.That way, the 12vdc can be powered by the house batteries when boon-docking and the router can be used as a WIFI as WAN router, or cellular router, as the case may be. I also ran three antenna's to the roof-one for the WIFI on the router, and the other two for the 4G modem, to increase the signal strength.

If you just want more 12vdc outlets, you can get two to four circuit adapters such as this:

Amazon.com : LENMAR SPP-04 Power Port 4 Outlet DC Power Socket : Electronics

and plug them into the 12vdc plug in the overhead compartment.

GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
did you come from the DC distribution panel or tap in to something and I would need one on each side we are an IOS kind of family 2 iPads 2 iPhones and two iPods but I think we will only bring one of those and it wil stay in Morrison full time unless it is getting updated
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We charge off the invertor? plugged into the cig lighter when we are driving, use the outlets in back with an adapter for multiple lines when parked and plugged into electricity.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #9

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We charge off the invertor? plugged into the cig lighter when we are driving, use the outlets in back with an adapter for multiple lines when parked and plugged into electricity.
That works for me as well. The power drain on the house batteries is minimal, and even though my wife and I often have as many as four iOS devices between us, it is a rare occasion when more than one needs charging at the same time. Besides that leaving an iOS device constantly on charge will shorten the life of the battery in the device. The same thing is true of laptop batteries but I haven't bothered to carry a laptop since the iPad came out.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the pluses with charging is that the same device that charges the Verizon MiFi also charges the smart phone and the Nooks.

We have an invertor for the cig lighter with two outlets in it, which allows charging of the IPad and another device at the same time.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Be sure you get a charger that will supply the higher current for the iPads.

I like this one. 1 port for ipad, 1 for phone/iPod.

Griffin Dual USB Car Charger Car Charge Ipad2 Iphone 4s 3gs Griffin
http://amzn.com/B0079BLTPS

The nice thing about this one is that it sits almost flush in the outlet. Larger ones won't allow you to close the upholder if you use it in the cigarette lighter port.

I think it was already mentioned,but a stock AS will have the cigarette lighter which only has power with the key on as well as a power outlet under the cup holder (I'm embarrassed to say I never saw this one until someone on here mentioned it) as well as a unit above the driver In the entertainment compartment.

The later 2 are always powered.

Also, the wall outlet behind the driver is always powered with the inverter on. The other outlets require the generator or shore power.

(I'd use the 12v outlets for the iOS devices. The outlet is handy if you need to charge a laptop)
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
I think it was already mentioned,but a stock AS will have the cigarette lighter which only has power with the key on as well as a power outlet under the cup holder (I'm embarrassed to say I never saw this one until someone on here mentioned it) as well as a unit above the driver In the entertainment compartment.

The later 2 are always powered.

Also, the wall outlet behind the driver is always powered with the inverter on. The other outlets require the generator or shore power.

(I'd use the 12v outlets for the iOS devices. The outlet is handy if you need to charge a laptop)
Don't forget that you've got also an exterior 12v outlet on the curbside, for when you're set up at the campground.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
I have purchased and will be adding 2 of these Dual USB Charger Socket - Blue Sea Systems dual USB sockets at strategic locations the next time I visit my Interstate along with another 12v outlet, also from Blue Sea. I wish the Dual USB sockets were rated for more than 1A but they will serve to charge our iPhones at least.

It's a bit amazing AS didn't include more outlets.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our cigarette lighter inverter draws off the engine battery, whether we are driving and the ignition is on or parked with the ignition off.

We charge the phone, IPad, nooks, MiFi, etc., this way when camping without electricity for whatever reason.

One cig lighter is on the dash, another in the ashtray just beneath.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #15

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Be sure you get a charger that will supply the higher current for the iPads.
If you are using shore power for the charger that is a significant consideration. I moderate an Apple support forum and even now one of the more common "problems" reported for the iPad is failure to charge. In almost every case it is because they are trying to charge their iPad with an iPhone charger or the USB port on their computer.

My solution to that has always been to use the iPad power adaptor which Apple approves for use with both the iPhone and iPad. On the other hand, I have yet to run across a 12V charger that doesn't charge the iPad, often more rapidly than the shore power versions. Thus my preference for 12V chargers in my Interstate.

— Navajo saying
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
If you are using shore power for the charger that is a significant consideration. I moderate an Apple support forum and even now one of the more common "problems" reported for the iPad is failure to charge. In almost every case it is because they are trying to charge their iPad with an iPhone charger or the USB port on their computer.

My solution to that has always been to use the iPad power adaptor which Apple approves for use with both the iPhone and iPad. On the other hand, I have yet to run across a 12V charger that doesn't charge the iPad, often more rapidly than the shore power versions. Thus my preference for 12V chargers in my Interstate.
There are definitely some 12v-to-USB chargers out there with output as low as 500 mA. They tend to be the cheapest, junkiest ones, but they exist. I use the Griffin two-port adapter referenced up-thread a bit, with good results. We have one in the truck and one in my partner's car, and the best of the ones we had before discovering the Griffin adapter is in my car, with the rest relegated to backup status or Goodwill donations. I use one of the backup ones in the trailer when boondocking, or leave a phone plugged into the Griffin in the truck for a while.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post

I'm curious about the bolded statement above. Apple says the iPad (4th gen) will charge on a 1A USB charger but will charge much faster on a 2.1A charger. 1A USB chargers are much more common than the 2.1A or more chargers.

Am I missing something? Can you enlighten me?
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #18

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Because there have been reports of third party iPhone/iPad power malfunctioning and causing safety issues, beginning August 16, 2013 Apple will swap any third party iOS device power adaptor for an Apple adaptor and $10. All you need to do is bring your iOS device and third party adaptor to the Apple store and for $10 they will replace the third party device. This is on a one adaptor for one iOS device deal, but it is a good one. As small as the Apple power adaptor is, it is a very sophisticated switching power supply that will work on 120 to 240 volts 50 or 60 cycle power and offers several layers of protection for the iOS device.

As I understand it this offer includes, but is not limited to, third party iOS device power adaptors sold through the Apple Store, but It does not include 12V car adaptors.

— Navajo saying
Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

The two TV outlets are supplied by the inverter.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
My 20 foot Safari has three 12v outlets and what I have done is purchase a few of these chargers with dual 3Amp outputs. Not only will they charge the iPhones faster, but they can also charge high drain devices like iPads easily. I use these in conjunction with a plethora of different cables (USB, USB Mini, USB Micro, iPhone 30Pin and iPhone Lightning) to charge all sorts of stuff. What I like about using the 12v chargers is that I can use them with or without shore power and without having to use an inverter.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to Amazon: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote