Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2022, 12:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
2021 Interstate 24GL bathroom vent fan blade replacement?

my bathroom vent fan blade exploded for some reason during our last trip. maybe debris from the recent storm that kicked up some dirt and stuff into the fan housing. fan blade is in pieces, the motor just spins.

i went through the bag of books but couldn't find the manual for the bathroom fan.

anyone knows what model the vent fan is?

I can only see "VANAIR" on the fan, it seems to be a brand of "Ventline"?

i found this replacement fan blade

https://leisurervparts.com/rv-camper...-for-ventline/
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
2021 Interstate 24GL bathroom vent fan blade replacement?

My 2020 did the same a week ago. It is being replaced under warranty. Seems to be a common defect.
Coffee Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
This is the fan blade in our unit. I've had to replace it a couple of times, they seem to wear out due to sun exposure.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
This is the fan blade in our unit. I've had to replace it a couple of times, they seem to wear out due to sun exposure.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. Do you replace it from inside the bathroom or the whole unit has to come out from the top?
Old 04-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2016 View Post
Thanks. Do you replace it from inside the bathroom or the whole unit has to come out from the top?
From the top. Just remove the screws holding the plastic cover and it's easy to remove the old fan blade and fit the new one on.

Roger
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
OAKDALE , California
For those who replaced it themselves:

1. Is it necessary to replace from the rooftop of the RV?
2. If so, what type of caulking or sealant do you recommend?

Thanks, Judy
jldejong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldejong View Post
For those who replaced it themselves:

1. Is it necessary to replace from the rooftop of the RV?
2. If so, what type of caulking or sealant do you recommend?

Thanks, Judy
Judy, I replaced my fan and did have to access it from the top as you have to attach the fan to some screws to the Airstream provided donut type spacer up there and if I remember correctly, you need to muster it in too to get them to come together. It was a while ago that I did it. I also use a different fan replacement too.

When using a sealant on a Sprinter roof, Sikaflex is recommended because of the metal roof but I have also used just Dicor in some other areas without any issues.

Sikaflex
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dicor Lap Sealant

Fan that I replaced the original one with:
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
OAKDALE , California
Thanks!
jldejong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Levittown , Arizona
Had to replace the fan blade on 2021 AI 19 bathroom fan. The blades disintegrated, not exactly sure how this happened. While taking the old blade out, it was very brittle. Surprised this happened after only 2 years.
BRVanlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yup, UV light destroys those fans faster than it should.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:34 AM   #11
TMK

2019 ​Interstate 19
Poway , California
Mine blew up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yup, UV light destroys those fans faster than it should.

Mine blew up the day I picked up my 2019 AI19. Going to look at fan replacements and possibly get some coats of UV spray paint on it before the install. What a silly use of poor material by the manufacturer. Shame on them

Might draft up a 3dprinted replacement part too when the replacement gets here.
TMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Anywhere USA , USA
My motor died and I found an inexpensive replacement motor at a Bellingham WA RV dealer last summer. When I went to remove the old motor from the roof the fan blade fell apart, the material consistency was like potato chips.

Looking for the correct blade was impossible, only 1 site had it, e-trailer for $40 plus shipping. Sooooo……. I wasn’t going to encourage that type of price gouging so I decided to buy a different fan blade design for $5. It fit the shaft perfectly but the blades were a bit too long, hello kitchen shears. It was a 50/50 chance I wired it to turn in the proper direction to exhaust rather than intake but I got lucky. Works perfectly, but is a tad bit louder but we don’t use it for very long. I think it may actually move more air than the original.

I liked the idea of creating a 3D model and having it printed, but my CAD skills were not up to the task, I did try.

I contacted the fan manufacturer a few times, they were not very helpful.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
My motor died and I found an inexpensive replacement motor at a Bellingham WA RV dealer last summer....
Say, do you have a part number or other info that would help me locate a new electric motor for the bathroom vent fan? Ours is new enough that the fan blades are fine, but when the foam gasket inevitably fell off the cap and tangled in the fan blades and sat that way for a while unbeknownst to us, the motor afterward became so weak it was nearly useless (probably burned out to some degree, I guess).

Old 02-17-2024, 11:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Say, do you have a part number or other info that would help me locate a new electric motor for the bathroom vent fan? Ours is new enough that the fan blades are fine, but when the foam gasket inevitably fell off the cap and tangled in the fan blades and sat that way for a while unbeknownst to us, the motor afterward became so weak it was nearly useless (probably burned out to some degree, I guess).
probably easier just to buy a whole set, it's less than $100 bucks. getting replacement parts for these things is hit and miss, especially if your fan is several years old, the parts might have changed.

if you still have the manual for the fan, you can probably find the replacement parts info on there.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Anywhere USA , USA
Rocinate - This is from the Ventline Catalog - Ventline now owned by Dexter Axle

BVD0218-00 is the motor. Just figured out our actual purchase was from Blades RV in Mount Vernon, WA. I paid under $10, and it was a knock-off part they had on a display shelf, perfect fit mounting holes, electrical connections, and shaft. Good luck getting the blade off without it breaking. Chances are low in my opinion because you can’t pry up from the shaft. Any lifting from the edges puts stress on the 5 3/8” fan wheel. The fan wheel material was not chosen for its ability to flex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	441156  
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:03 PM   #16

Thanks, will check that out. Our bath vent fan is less than two years old, so was hoping to just replace the motor, but it’s possible buying the whole thing and just replacing the entire fan motor / blade assembly inside the unit would be a good bet.