Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 04:53 AM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Some indication this may be normal but I'm sending in to Blackstone Labs for analysis so will have a better idea of ATF health in a few weeks.

Thanks!
Lab report, I like it!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
So I got an auxiliary ATF cooler installed today.

Driving in 100° Tucson desert 85mph up slight incline (not towing) I was getting 179° max.

Great improvement!

If any Tundra owners are concerned I HIGHLY recommend adding the cooler! A guy sells a kit on tundra forums which is mostly authentic Toyota parts and a HD Hayden cooler. Expensive but complete and takes a couple hours to install.

Attached is my ATF at ~15,000 miles. I topped it off before I took a trip with AS back around May and it was clear pink, not quite like the new on the left but way closer to that! So this cloudy stinking mess of ATF is from towing some long grades in SW summer....

Some indication this may be normal but I'm sending in to Blackstone Labs for analysis so will have a better idea of ATF health in a few weeks.

Thanks!
"Changing" won't do all the fluid, better to flush and get all the old stuff out of the converter also.

How about a secondary filter?...adds fluid, runs cooler. Especially if the vehicle already has a factory ATF cooler.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

On our 95 2500 Burb w/o OEM temp gauge...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFB97D98-78BF-4E43-BC41-90720D2683D2_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	379167   Click image for larger version

Name:	68161434-8450-42AA-B80D-F75C0622C361_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	379168  

Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"Changing" won't do all the fluid, better to flush and get all the old stuff out of the converter also.

How about a secondary filter?...adds fluid, runs cooler. Especially if the vehicle already has a factory ATF cooler.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

On our 95 2500 Burb w/o OEM temp gauge...

F&F may be viable for such a young transmission.

I recall warnings about doing this to older transmissions as it can have negative effects from loosening what ever. Not sure if that's true but I always did soft flushes.

Thanks!
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We had many fleet operators we serviced at the Chevy store. We power flushed at 60k and never had a problem no matter the year.
Changing the pan fluid and leaving the cooler and torque converter full is not ideal.

With our 95 Burb I flushed at 20k, changed the pan filter, added an external filter, continued to change the external filter and power flush every 30k. Never dropped the pan again and sold it at 165k.👍
TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
So....

I installed an auxiliary ATF cooler and now get reasonable 200°+/- when towing in 100° ambient weather!

I sent a sample of the ATF into Blackstone labs and despite it looking rather dark they reported is tests as perfectly fine! No obvious wear nor insolubles..No dirt no silicone.....well below averages!

So maybe Toyota engineers are onto something!

I still feel very good about having the ATF cooler as seeing close to 260° was disturbing at best!

Thanks!

Trav
Old 10-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
I sent that "burnt" ATF into Blackstone Labs for analysis! $30.

The report came back stating:

"Your Tundra's transmission looks great in this first sample. There are
many reasons we could've expected extra metal to show up (metal from factory wear-in, wear-in from your
ATF cooler installation, possible wear from towing you did over the summer, hot temps, etc.) -- but we didn't
find any such extra wear. Metals are in good shape next to averages, which are based on a ~38,700-mile
interval. With the viscosity in spec and insolubles at just a trace, there's no reason to think this fluid saw
more heat than it could handle."

I could post actual numbers if anyone is interested but bottom line they came in below averages for ATF with 38K miles! A good result!

So toss out your old preconceived notions of ATF temperatures as it looks like 300° may be the new red line to be concerned about as far as I've gathered....

Never the less I am glad I installed the cooler! I'll see what happens with next Blackstone Labs test at maybe 38K miles....