Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Value versus price problem?
That does not answer my simple question.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You've already answered it yourself: You don't let purchase price get in the way of value.

This type of trailer design is expensive, you've owned several and the same is true for the multiple vehicles you've used to tow them.

And now, hitches. A VPP and/or a custom setup involving of a lot of painstaking details is where value lies. A combination of these may be where it really comes together. Thomson puts these together all the time. The dollars are only relative to performance.

A WDH is a lot more than just moving some weight around. It's a bad assumption about assessing their value to focus on that.

And the answer on the really large costs is that you will spend for value. Despite cheaper alternatives. A hitch is not a large cost.

Going backwards on hitch design is inconsistent with what you've done via TT and TV purchases.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ok, so you are not willing to answer my question or put your money where your mouth is. End of discussion.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If can am is so into these expensive hitches, then why do they still install eazlift? Probably because the eazlift does the job just fine under almost all conditions at a tenth of the cost. If you gave me the money I would spend it on tires, wheels and maintenance leaving the rest for traveling. Priorities are just different.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Ok, so you are not willing to answer my question or put your money where your mouth is. End of discussion.

Did you miss it, or do you simply prefer your inconsistency? And worse performance. Which I still find hard to believe.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If can am is so into these expensive hitches, then why do they still install eazlift? Probably because the eazlift does the job just fine under almost all conditions at a tenth of the cost. If you gave me the money I would spend it on tires, wheels and maintenance leaving the rest for traveling. Priorities are just different.

If you can custom build the hitch receiver, and keep a short rear overhang tow vehicle rear axle to trailer coupling to its absolute shortest distance, then, yes, a basic WDH works well for smaller TT and TV.

Should be basic for any TV, this prep, despite the actual hitch. But isn't.

One moves from friction bar and up through integrated antisway to VPP afterwards.