Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Any travel trailer can use sway control. The rear tire contact patch on the TV isn't ever enough not to benefit by its use.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Firm believer in sway control, not so much on WD for some setups.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I can understand the benefits of WD. If it is so effective at improving your safety margin, why isn't it mandatory? Does your insurance carrier give a discount for using one?
WD is used to COMPENSATE for suspension loading on the TV and it's corresponding effect on center of gravity. With that said, if you have a large drop in ride height at hook-up, something is WRONG with trailer load out or a TV suspension inadequacy.

I have noticed that about less than half of TT trailers driving central Arkansas use some form of WD. The majority of those with WD are upper end rigs. I have seen 3 AS's in the last month that didn't have WD. All of those operators had big grins.

If it offers peace of mind, use it.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I can understand the benefits of WD. If it is so effective at improving your safety margin, why isn't it mandatory? Does your insurance carrier give a discount for using one?
WD is used to COMPENSATE for suspension loading on the TV and it's corresponding effect on center of gravity. With that said, if you have a large drop in ride height at hook-up, something is WRONG with trailer load out or a TV suspension inadequacy.

I have noticed that about less than half of TT trailers driving central Arkansas use some form of WD. The majority of those with WD are upper end rigs. I have seen 3 AS's in the last month that didn't have WD. All of those operators had big grins.

If it offers peace of mind, use it.
Good points. Manufactuers of some smaller vehicles, like our 2015 Honda Pilot, caution about using a WD hitch. In the owners manual, Honda provides an acceptable range of rearend drop based on the tongue weight of the trailer to its maximum 450 pound rating. I found that the 350 pound weight of my small Airstream closely matches the drop rating without the WD. The problem with WD on the Pilot has to do with incorrectly putting too much weight on the front axles, I believe. I was told by the Airstream dealer, a Honda dealer and a high-end hitch shop that WD and antisway are not necessary or desirable with my configuration. As a practical matter, I have never experienced sway, even going down hill and being passed by a speeding semi.

That said, I can see where WD/sway are desirable on longer and heavier trailers. We towed a 32' SOB all over the country with a full sized van and later a Jeep GC V8. Even with a WD hitch and anti-sway device, passing trucks could be felt.
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
i try to keep the "KISS" concept when ever possible.( keep it simple stupid),.

Since I have seen more WD hitches set up so wrong,, the dangers I saw was worst than if they just pulled from a ball. If you need it then use it.. If your TV does not care I sure would not worry about it. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
RGeezer check the GM owners manual as suggested. Take a trip to the CAT scales and search the forum for Ron Gratz's how to weigh your rig and search for my posts where I have a spreadsheet you can fill in following Ron's math.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
I own and love that truck. My 2014 27FB Int. has nearly identical specs. My Reese WD hitch has 1000# bars. My experience transitioning from 1500 Silverado to 2500HD is not as much tensioning is required to dampen pitching over bumps. I have experienced severe pitching without the bars on short pulls to my local storage.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Do you know anyone in New Jersey that can install a WD system on my new 23D? I'm towing with a VW Touareg.
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
Do you know anyone in New Jersey that can install a WD system on my new 23D? I'm towing with a VW Touareg.

Try Colonial Airstream?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote