Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
70's Tradewind loaded weights, Towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hi There!

I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrailHawk v8 with the tow package (class IV hitch, extra cooling). I'm looking at getting an Airstream to travel around the country for a while with my wife a 3 yr old son. The JGC has a tow capacity of 7200 lbs and a hitch weight capacity of 720 lbs.

I was looking at 1970's 25 foot Tradewinds, and seeing that the hitch weight of these trailers dry starts at about 560 in the early years to up to over 720 in at least one later 70's year.

I'm nervous that after loading with propane and gear, the tongue weight of the trailer will be too close to my 720 lb limit. Since we're planning on traveling all over, I want to make sure we won't have any issues going up mountains or wherever we travel.

I'm wondering if anyone has the tongue weight 25' 70's Tradewind loaded?

Any advice on towing with this setup? I'm also looking at the 24' Argosy Minuet, which I think is lighter, but I really would love the Tradewind.

Thanks for reading and any advice!
20bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
Tradewind tongue weight

Hi 20bs,
I have a 72 Tradewind.
I have not weighed the tongue I would be surprised if it was 720lbs..

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...layout-252.pdf

Having said that a weight distribution hitch will help and is definitely recommended. Sounds like the Jeep is more than capable.
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
The one i'm looking at is a 72! Excited to get one, but want to make sure we're not going to be over. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
At our last Fall Rally two members brought tongue weight scales and we had an interesting afternoon weighing the rigs.
My 72 Tradewind with a nearly full fresh water tank, mostly empty black tank, one empty propane tank and another maybe 2/3rds full weighed in on the 2 scales between 625 and 675 pounds. I was surprised as to how much weight was actually on the tongue.
I had removed the stock front couch and table replacing them with a dinette.
The specs for my '72 with the double bed show a tongue weight of between 580 and 699 pounds.
I towing with an F150 with a Curt 600 pound Round Bar WD hitch with the Ford receiver and haven't had any handling issues with this TV or the previous Ford Expedition.

Good Luck,
Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 72 Load Chart.pdf (455.7 KB, 19 views)

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
That is very helpful! Thanks so much! Seems like if I watch it I can keep it under 720!
Old 01-03-2020, 03:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Also Jeep requires weight distribution for 3500 pounds and up.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My previous Airstream was a 75 TW. We had it weighed at a Denco maintenance rally and it scaled in at 925 pounds. Full propane (aluminum tanks), full fresh water tank and empty black and gray.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I think you’ll need a bigger truck for that trailer to be safe. With WD you’ll still be borders line capacity and white knuckles sometimes. I believe traveling and camping should be fun and relaxing.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bs View Post
Hi There!

I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrailHawk v8 with the tow package (class IV hitch, extra cooling). I'm looking at getting an Airstream to travel around the country for a while with my wife a 3 yr old son. The JGC has a tow capacity of 7200 lbs and a hitch weight capacity of 720 lbs.

I was looking at 1970's 25 foot Tradewinds, and seeing that the hitch weight of these trailers dry starts at about 560 in the early years to up to over 720 in at least one later 70's year.

I'm nervous that after loading with propane and gear, the tongue weight of the trailer will be too close to my 720 lb limit. Since we're planning on traveling all over, I want to make sure we won't have any issues going up mountains or wherever we travel.

I'm wondering if anyone has the tongue weight 25' 70's Tradewind loaded?

Any advice on towing with this setup? I'm also looking at the 24' Argosy Minuet, which I think is lighter, but I really would love the Tradewind.

Thanks for reading and any advice!

You're best to always weigh the tongue with a Sherline or other scale, & to stay within the stated limits of your TV. The posted HW is meaningless, especially on the vintage trailers, since they typically stated empty/dry & without ANY options - just the base trailer. IIRC the new ones are the same.

For example, our 1960 Avion T20 was listed as 2860 lbs & 285 HW, but in reality it's more like a true weighed 542 lbs HW due to 2x 30 lb LP tanks, mounting plate & Tekonsha RF brake controller & a 160 lb Hensley Cub hitch all hung on the A-frame, plus a larger water tank at the front wall changed in the resto/renovation of the trailer - so there's another 220+/- lbs of LP & water in tanks when full.

FYI - we got the Hensley Cub Anti-sway/weight distributing hitch - which is excellent BTW & good for trailers up to 6000 lbs, & is cheaper than either ProPride or Hensley Arrow (which are rated up to 10,000 lbs) - in order to tow safely & comfortably with mid-sized SUVs like your JGC.

There are other good WDs less expensive, but the $1600+/- cost is outweighed by zero sway (can't happen by design on H & PP), you don't take all the WD gear off the tongue every time (stays there), & the ease of their tension spring jacks over levering up chains - all with a lifetime warranty. The H & PP will also give the rig a tighter turning radius for better maneuvering.

It's worth checking out, & they also sell refurbished ones, & have sales to save some off of the list prices (their Arrow is up in the $2400+/- range, but you won't need it if your trailer is at or under 6000 lbs, otherwise check refurb & sale prices on those too).

PS - WD hitches don't allow you to carry any more weight, it only spreads what you have between the front & rear axles of the TV. So you still need to be within the HW & towing capacity & total combined wt. ratings of your Jeep or any TV.

Either way on your trailer choices - with a vintage trailer it also opens up the weekend vintage trailer rallies in your area & around the US, where they get cheaper rates at nice campgrounds/RV Parks & have all sorts of fun group activities for attendees - & many have kids - not just us old folks! LOL

Check out dates/places at Tin Can Tourists website calendar, & online in the Vintage Trailer magazines:

https://www.vintagecampertrailers.com

http://www.vintagetrailermagazine.com

You can attend before you have your trailer too, if you want to check out other trailers, talk with owners of similar ones to your targets, etc., as well as get a feel for the group. You'll generally see many of the same folks at the various rallies during the year, so it more like "Trailering family" than regular camping.

Good Luck!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:

!
My 71 has a tongue weight of 420 pounds.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
More things to consider

Please look at the sticker in your Jeep front door post and check the payload capacity. The tongue weight of your trailer figures into your payload.... While WD transfers some on the tongue weight back to your trailer axle(s), a quick tally of trailer tongue weight, total passenger weight and estimated cargo in the tow vehicle should be made to see if you’re going to exceed the payload rating of the tow vehicle.

Vehicle tow ratings can be very misleading because tow vehicle payload rating is usually what limits what the vehicle can handle.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
My previous Airstream was a 75 TW. We had it weighed at a Denco maintenance rally and it scaled in at 925 pounds. Full propane (aluminum tanks), full fresh water tank and empty black and gray.
Wow, that's quite a bit! Can I ask what size your propane tanks are?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
You're best to always weigh the tongue with a Sherline or other scale, & to stay within the stated limits of your TV. The posted HW is meaningless, especially on the vintage trailers, since they typically stated empty/dry & without ANY options - just the base trailer. IIRC the new ones are the same.

For example, our 1960 Avion T20 was listed as 2860 lbs & 285 HW, but in reality it's more like a true weighed 542 lbs HW due to 2x 30 lb LP tanks, mounting plate & Tekonsha RF brake controller & a 160 lb Hensley Cub hitch all hung on the A-frame, plus a larger water tank at the front wall changed in the resto/renovation of the trailer - so there's another 220+/- lbs of LP & water in tanks when full.

FYI - we got the Hensley Cub Anti-sway/weight distributing hitch - which is excellent BTW & good for trailers up to 6000 lbs, & is cheaper than either ProPride or Hensley Arrow (which are rated up to 10,000 lbs) - in order to tow safely & comfortably with mid-sized SUVs like your JGC.
Thank you! I have been looking at the Arrow and others, they seem like the way to go.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Vehicle tow ratings can be very misleading because tow vehicle payload rating is usually what limits what the vehicle can handle.
Thanks, yes, I've been getting all the numbers together. Since we're going to be traveling around a lot, I want to have a nice margin so I'm not finding myself struggling to go up the side of a mountain or come back down the other side :0
Old 01-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
I think you’ll need a bigger truck for that trailer to be safe. With WD you’ll still be borders line capacity and white knuckles sometimes. I believe traveling and camping should be fun and relaxing.
I'm more looking for a trailer that will fit my current setup. My feeling is that a Tradewind is probably going to be too much. I'm also looking at the Argosy Minuets, which are a bit thinner and lighter.

I'm also looking to do some type of refit, so I can adjust the weights to some extent, and I know that each one is going to be unique based on what's been done since it rolled from the factory.

One thing I'm considering is moving to all electric, and removing the propane tanks from the front, which would keep the tongue weight down.

I'm with you though, I don't want to push it, I want to be comfortable.

Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I don't know what their tongue wt is but we have members towing a two year old classic 25' FB with a Grand Cherokee....set up I believe by CanAm. I'm betting the tongue wt exceeds 720 lbs on that one.I pulled a 72 Tradewind with my '91 1500 Jimmy (10.5 x 31" tires and all) with no trouble and I know that truck was not rated for 720 lbs TW.
Keep in mind that the Wt Dist hitch usually takes about 100 lbs off the rear wheels.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
30 pound aluminum tanks. BTW, sold the trailer 2 years ago. My current 25 is much lighter on the ball.
Quote:
Wow, that's quite a bit! Can I ask what size your propane tanks are?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
I'm more looking for a trailer that will fit my current setup. My feeling is that a Tradewind is probably going to be too much. I'm also looking at the Argosy Minuets, which are a bit thinner and lighter.

I'm also looking to do some type of refit, so I can adjust the weights to some extent, and I know that each one is going to be unique based on what's been done since it rolled from the factory.

One thing I'm considering is moving to all electric, and removing the propane tanks from the front, which would keep the tongue weight down.

Thanks!!

20bs -

IMHO - Better to just keep the LP to a pair of 20 Lb tanks - we go a couple of years before refilling our 30's (steel BTW), as you'll want the LP for use when unconnected for heat, hot water, fridge & cooking.

If you're looking around at other option, then both look online at specs for the layouts of different trailers & their weights, features, etc. - & there are many options beyond AS in the 1950's-80's.

There are Avion, Silverstreak, Curtis, & others in the "Silver Twinkie" camp; Spartan, & a plethora of other cool & fun vintage trailers out there to look at. These are generally less pricey than AS (which are high due more to mystique & fad, than quality), but are generally as good or better built than AS, have the same or better features (Most have better headroom & more upper storage than AS/Argosy), & are just as serviceable & fun as any AS/Argosy.

A couple of sources for vintage trailers FS -

https://classifieds.vintagecampertra...browse-68.aspx

https://tincantourists.com/classified-ads/browse-ads/

You can go to the Vintage Trailer Rallies on public open houses to actually see some in real life, walk through them, & talk with the owners about real life numbers & experience with each.

Unless you want to restore/renovate, look for something already done & ready to go, pr well maintained as original & everything working properly.

Also, in almost all cases of the metal framed body (vs. wood) aluminum &/or steel skinned trailers of the 1950s - 80s -they'll be much lighter than the modern AS trailers due to the use of composites & other heavier materials in the new ones (vs. lighter marine plywood & veneers in the vintage, etc.). For example - a modern Bambi Sport will push 4500-6500 lbs, vs 2500-3500 lbs for a vintage one wet & loaded.

FYI - here are some pix of our 1960 (`61 MY) Avion T20 at the link below - which sleeps 4 with Gaucho Sofa/Bed & Dinette/Bed, but some had the 5th kid cot/bunk which went over the Gaucho for a kid +1 (5 total, or 3 with the Dinette up). There was a nicely preserved `60 T20 in MN on Tin Can Tourists, as well as their `64 T21 "project" for sale. Google for the cot/bunk option if of interest, because it could easily be recreated & added to any. Avion also had an H24 with came with front dinette & either a full size + wardrobe dresser, or 2x twin beds, or 2x bunk beds in the center (similar with the H27), & optional tandem axle.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ers-99135.html

Good Luck on your search, & take your time to find what works best for your needs, & that fits your JGC.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I have a '78 Tradewind with two 30 lb propane tanks. Don't know the tongue weight off hand. Wet weight is around 5,600 lb. I pull it with a 2014 Jeep GC with the hitch reinforced by CanAm (any weld shop can do what CanAm does, it's simple). I use weight distribution bars. Used a ProPride, currently using an old Reese system with 800 lb bars (so the tongue weight is around 800 lb or less). From Chicago we have been all over the Canadian Rockies. Fully loaded the Jeep GC (gasoline) with 8 speed tranny does a great job. 12-13 mpg on the flat lands, 10 mpg on the mountains. Non-towing I get 20-23 mpg. Never had any problems or issues or concerns. it's a good tow vehicle.

Minor point, this Tradewind has the old hydraulic disc brakes that I modernized with an electric hydraulic pump versus the original vacuum hydraulic pump. Not sure how significant this is, both my Airstreams have hydraulic disc brakes.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
While I have non experience with the Tradewinds trailer, I towed a 23’ FC over 60,000 miles with my 2014 JGC 3.0L EcoDiesel. It was rated at 7,200 lbs tow capacity and 720 lbs tongue weight. The Airstream was typically weighed at 5,600 lbs (fully loaded) on CAT scales almost every trip.

This combo was phenomenal across the USA multiple times, including to Alaska and Newfoundland. NEVER a white knuckle experience. BUT the payload of 1,050 lbs. was definitely the limiting factor. My tongue weight, as measured by a Shurline tongue weight scale, was typically between 620-700 lbs. that left no allowance for gear beyond my wife, dog, and myself.

I recently moved to a 25’ FC and F-150 Ecoboost. We love the additional space and capacity. But the Jeep and 23’ FC is a great combo and much more maneuverable. And mileage was 25% better, too.

Also, my hitch was an Equalizer with 1,000 lb. bars.

I hope this helps. Have fun with whatever combo you.choose.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote