Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2002, 06:02 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Hi everyone,

Overlander:

Thanks for the information on brake controllers. I have not actually picked one out yet, but I am leaning towards the Prodigy. Using an inertial brake controller seems to make more sense since my pickup has 4 wheel ABS. I have never towed with electric brakes before, so there is a lot to learn. The roads can get really nasty in MT. The Prodigy seems to outweigh every thing else in popularity. I have also been told to stay off icy roads, the best brake controller in the world is not going to save your heiney.

Leigh:

Ah, those pesky mice. (I'm answering to another thread) Stainless steel wool if you can find it, and plug up every little hole on the belly pan. I am going to use steel wool and replace it in the spring. Can't seem to find the stainless right now. My work outside days are about over since winter will be here soon. I have heard brass wool works good too. We live on the river, and have a wonderful assortment of wild animals, unfortunately mice are a bother. They can crawl through a crack of 1/4 inch. The little ones even less. Another trick here is to insert the stainless wool, and then shoot some of that canned insulating foam into the wool. I wish I had heard of this trick sooner when I was putting in new heat in the house. These are ideas I found on the VACList. It is a treasure of information!

Good luck. I have a little stepstool too.

Barbwire
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:08 PM   #22
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Barbwire - Thanks for the "wooly details". I will take 2 seconds to get off internet and check local stores for a lifetime supply!! I have been having stress wake up calls at night thinking of Mini being invaded. Did you ever see that movie about the two guys buying the old house with the mouse in it? I can't remember the name of it offhand - but if you did, you get the picture....

Kevin - I anxiously await the pictures of your steps~maybe I can find something similiar once I see the setup. I don't mind the box, but think it would be nice to have something a little classier (and safer).

Off I go on a new quest. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:50 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Argosy owner!

Greetings Leigh!

These are two photos of the original factory issue step that came with my Minuet. It appears to be made from heavy gauge aluminum sheet that is assembled with rivets. The top is a non-skid rubber or vinyl in Argosy brown/bronze.

This is another view from the bottom:

This is a photo of 78-Mini:

I haven't been able to catch a sunny day to get some really good pictures, but the paint isn't in good shape - - the only panels that have any paint repair are the two domes - - all of the rest of the paint is original - - the orange moulding inserts have been replaced with blue inserts somewhere along the line.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:32 AM   #24
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
No Luck

Hi Barbwire . I have had no luck with stainless steel wool or brass. Tried several sources including: Home Depot, several Ace hardware stores, a local trading post, a gun dealer (brass for cleaning guns), and a local steel distribution warehouse. NOBODY has a clue!! Anybody else got any ideas?? I am rather tenacious, so will keep trying to research.

Hi Kevin. I like the photos of your trailer and steps. Had a hard time getting to see them as my computer kept stalling on pics. I could have gone on vacation and come back and still no pics. I wish I had your step!!! I might take a photo of my crate and we can compare. It has a piece of carpet on top!! (I think I still like yours better!!) I would like to print a copy of yours to take around and see if anyone can come up with a duplicate. Would that be ok?? On another note...
I saw you had posted to AS dogs. Want to see if I can now view the photo of your sweet babies. Our Cedar is sometimes mistaken for a Chihuahua because of her standup ears and color. Its fun to see the many types of dogs. Some I wonder how they fit in the trailer!!! Well, as my son has said...Later Dudes~~~~ Leigh
Old 11-15-2002, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
OV64,
Cool step, hard to believe it is still with the trailer. I didn't think I needed one for mine until I replaced the sagged out axle, after that the whole rig sat almost a good 6 inches taller so I put on a steel slide out step I got from Campn'World. I did try to talk the wife into a wood box but to no success. It was a bit of fab work, welding/cutting, to get it solidly mounted but definitely worth it. I promise to get some pics online soon. (yeah, yeah!!)
Old 11-15-2002, 05:14 PM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Chas, nice to have you return for a chat!!

Guess I am just going to have to find a better choice for entrance into Mini. Can't be getting to some big rally or ritzy campground and have to drag out my box (with the piece of carpet on top!!!) for everybody - especially if any of you other Argosy owners just happen to show up with all your FANCY steps. Can you tell I am a tad bit jealous!!??
Seriously...
I think you are the last in line to post pics of your recent acquisition. No, wait... we haven't seen or heard from the New 24' owner for a while. Hint....Hint...

I wonder if there has ever been an Argosy rally before?? I wonder how many would show up?

We finally called about an owners manual today!! We asked for a tech/repair manual but were told there was not one?? Since you have yours for your 22' (owner or repair??) can we compare when we receive ours? Pretty please~~

gottogo Leigh
Old 11-18-2002, 08:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Leigh,
I don't think I would worry about a repair manual for your unit, most new trailers only come with manuals for the appliances, pumps, converters, axles, etc., repairs to the major parts of the trailers is just based on common practices, much like the ordinary repairs you may do or have done around the house. Anything which is specific to your unit such as skin repair or sealing can be had in these forums. I have heard of factory service manuals for the Airstreams and Argosy's but reports say they tend to be vague and generic. Great to see your "Mini"!!
Old 03-26-2003, 07:08 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

hi all, just started on restoration of 86 argosy 27' center bath was luky enough to have been given all original silver key delivery binder original window sticker etc. the trailer was actually assebled in jackson center ohio all original interior some water damage from deteriorated exterior rubber and seals removed all interior pieces removed everything down to subfloor some water damage of subfloor all 4 corners are soft or somewhat bad will replace as needed looking to replace all flooring thruout with either laminate or with cork still not sure what to do with the damaged interior walls try to match cardboard with whatever it is, looks like contact paper or to replace with a wood veneer would love comments or suggestions. I am refinishing all cherry wood cabinets and frames thru out as well as all faucets and shower valves with high end fixtures I aquired thru out the years ( told my wife I would have a need for them someday) trying to locate a parts or repair manual or both if I can find don't know what all terminology is on exterior rubber and gaskets any help would be greatly appreciated the only dumb question is the one not asked thanks, bob (aka mr.cappuccino)
Old 03-26-2003, 07:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Welcome Mr. C,

Your post sent my mind a spinnin'!!, sounds like you've been busy. Not exactly sure what you have but it must be the square Argosy. I think it is a first for the forum so welcome aboard! You deserve your own thread with your rare unit. I think there was an Airstream version as well and they called them "Squarestreams"

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:39 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

thanks chas, love to pull something out of the weeds and bring it back to a vibrant life it once had restored a victorian built in 1906 painted it with 5 pastel colors sanded and waterblasted thru 12 different layers and coats all the way to original redwood it was worth it so am hoping to really end up with something special when done with this argosy bought from the original owner only prob was it sat out under tree for last 8 years with bad rubber and no maintanance or love trailers are just like abandoned houses they need to be cared for
Old 04-05-2003, 11:00 PM   #31

Talking

Hello all...as of today, we are proud owners of a 1974 24' Argosy. We have owned 4 Airstreams and 1 Silver Streak, but this is our first Argosy. There was absolutely NO paperwork or manuals that came with it Therefore, we would be interested in acquiring at least a copy of a manual, etc. and learning more about "her" as we go. She is in excellent shape. I'm sure we will enjoy our time with her. Nice to find others with the same interests.
blewbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:12 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Argosy owner!

Greetings Blewbird!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Argosy ownership and to the forum!

There are a number of different methods of acquiring a manual for your coach. They are listed periodically on E-Bay; and generally sell for something between $35 and $50 for an owner's manual and about twice that much for service manuals. The other alternative is to contact Secretarial Services with Airstream for manual copies. The contact information for Secretarial Services is below (the information is located in the FAQ section of the Vintage Airstream Club Site):

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
Discovering the similarities and differences between similar Vintage Argosy and Airstream coaches can be quite an intriguing adventure. Good luck in finding the needed manuals for your Argosy 24.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:42 AM   #33

Thank you, Kevin, for the information. I found a "copy" of a 1972 Argosy manual for sale on a CD on eBay. I'll keep looking...too bad the original owner didn't let the manual go to the last owners of my Argosy.
blewbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

77 Argosy 24

I guess I'm the new guy on the block.
Purchased my 77 Argosy 24 yesterday.
Have the original manual and will scan and email any info that someone may need.
Pleased to be aboard.

Steve