Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
It's ready to roll, new axles and even got my 45 yr old a/c going by replacing the run capacitor. Glad it wasn't the compressor!

So, going to try to make falluminun, I want to see your baby too.

Don't feel bad most women find me irresistible
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Yea, glad to hear it Kevin. That's a far cry from simply camping in your trailerport, your trailer is definitely one that needs to be shown off!

On a sour note...all of a sudden my black tank IS leaking, well I think its actually the valve. sigh The po added/changed out the valve plunger, by adding screws to extend the original (?), it doesn't close all the way. More investigations to be done for sure. :P
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Maiden Voyage

our maiden voyage was bittersweet. we had a good time but of course we also had problems...who knew that our sewer line end wasn't standard?! We had to rig the line to the tote which worked okay but of course could have been much easier. also the faucet starting leaking again, ugh, but I did come prepared and was able to fix it. then, we learned something new about the a/c unit...you can't run it on the coldest setting in the heat we had this past weekend because the compressor never got a chance to turn off which meant that we froze it. we realized something was wrong when water was dripping down the side of the trailer but not from the cups. In any case, we defrosted it and then ran the fan part on high and kept the temp below absolute cold. very thankful it worked because it was hot this weekend! Blew a fuse too and though we had replacements on hand...they were the wrong size! Thank goodness we had some from the PO. As is typical, each time out you learn more.

Still we had a good time and next time we'll be more prepared for this trailers needs.

The pics are site 85 at Duckett Mill Campground - Gainesville GA (lake lanier). Sites were okay but I hate the fine silt sand they use since its impossible to keep anything clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duckett Mill Campground 017.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	194876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duckett Mill Campground 015.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	194877  

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Window protectors issues

On our maiden voyage I learned something regarding the window protectors; that Velcro doesn't stick as well when its wet. We had no problems with the covers heading to the campground but we came home in the rain. At one point I looked at the trailer in our mirror but saw no center panel, yipes! We pulled over and I put it back in place but as I attached the Velcro sections I noticed that it didn't feel very sticky as it did when it is dry. We found keeping our speed under 55 presented no problems so it was a slower trip home. I'll have to come up with some way to attach the top of the center panel to the drip rail over the window.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #65

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: the end of the sewer outlet:

There are 2 possibilities here. The most likely is that you still have the original Thetford outlet, which was standard at the time but now the normal stuff is Valterra, who chose a slightly different size and "ear" pattern. When Thetford and Valterra pieces aren't right next to each other, it looks like they should fit.

Because the access to the sewer outlet on my '75 Argosy24 is very tight, I bought "bare" sewer hose and put a Thetford connector on one end, and Valterra hardware on the other end so it's easy to get fittings for hooking to the dump stations. I don't have room for an adapter between the outlet and the bumper.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the 2nd possibility is that a PO has put some non-standard end on it, in which case you have work to do.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
It is the original Thetford end and we simply need the adaptor that they sell at my local camper store. I think it was $5. We'll keep it attached to the sewer line itself not on the trailer so we don't lose it. Easy peasy.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
New axles -Shock question

We're about to order new axles from Colin Hyde but I haven't been able to figure out the discussion on the shocks. Colin mentioned the mounting bracket for the shocks will be preinstalled but not the shocks themselves and that we can get them wherever but the part I'm uncertain of is that I've read people saying they installed vertical shocks on Colins axles but then other people have said they shouldn't use vertical ones as the AS use horizontal shocks (which of course is what we currently have as oe)

So what are the right shocks and has anyone used those with Colins axles?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
The problem with the axle issue was that I did the research but he made the call but we've since gotten the info from Colin we needed which was also corroborated from another member (thank you!) so we're all set on our axles. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Did Colin have a local place for you to pick the axles up? This is going to be a winter project for me (replacing axles). Just hope shipping is not incredibly expensive.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
We're having the axles shipped to my husbands place of business which is cheaper than shipping to a residence. Though shipping isn't as bad as I thought it would be...~$200 for both.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Water heater

We got the new thermocouple we needed and now the water heater fires up just fine.

We'll get to use it for the first time at Fallunimum. It would have been this upcoming weekend but the gov't decided it didn't want my campground money.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Good Afternoon,

We just purchased a 24' Rear Door Argosy this last weekend (and had an EPIC return trip from NC to MD to bring it home). 247Stream's example is MUCH cleaner and complete than ours and until today I had no idea that it was anything special. Only that I fell in love with the inside arrangement when I saw the pictures online and HAD to have this one after I saw it in person. I adore Wiky (Our Wicked Painted Lady) but wanted to learn more.

1. Does anyone know how many were made?
2. Is it true that the 24' Rear Door Argosy was only offered in 1977 (I have found where the 22' Rear Door was offered for 4-5yrs?)
3. Would we be terrible people if we re-painted or "Wrapped" our Wiky something wild or different than the original?

Lee
DLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
Some people may not like it but you own it, make it yours. Paint it anyway you want. Tom
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1977 Argosy 24' - Rear Door

Greetings Lee!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage first generation Argosys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiky View Post
Good Afternoon,

We just purchased a 24' Rear Door Argosy this last weekend (and had an EPIC return trip from NC to MD to bring it home). 247Stream's example is MUCH cleaner and complete than ours and until today I had no idea that it was anything special. Only that I fell in love with the inside arrangement when I saw the pictures online and HAD to have this one after I saw it in person. I adore Wiky (Our Wicked Painted Lady) but wanted to learn more.

Production numbers for first generation Argosy travel trailers are relatively difficult to find. The factory has been very frugal with the information that they have released regarding production figures for any individual models. Some owners have tried to get an idea of approximate production numbers by posting "registry" threads where owners report their VINs and compare production sequence numbers and manufacture dates to gain some insight into production.

Quote:
2. Is it true that the 24' Rear Door Argosy was only offered in 1977 (I have found where the 22' Rear Door was offered for 4-5yrs?)
From factory literature, I can find listings for the Argosy 24' rear door in the following years:

1979:
There is no mention in the brochures of any standard width 20-foot, 22-foot, or 24-foot coaches. The brochure does, however, list 6.0 Meter (20-foot) Minuet, 6.7 Metre (22-foot) Minuet, and 7.3 Metre (24-foot).

1978:
Only lists standard floorplan with door ahead of axles for 24-foot. The brochure that I have doesn't list the 22-foot standard width Argosy nor does it mention the 6.7 Metre Minuet . . . there was, however, a 1978 6.7 Metre Minuet so the brochures don't necessarily list all models for a given model year.

1977: Lists both 22-foot and 24-foot with door behind axles.

1976:
Only lists standard floorplan with door ahead of axles for 24-foot. Listing of 22-foot with door behind axle continues to be listed.

1975:
Only lists standard floorplan with door ahead of axles for 24-foot. First listing of 22-foot with door behind axles.

1974:
Only lists standard floorplan with door ahead of axles for 22-foot and 24-foot.

1972 & 1973:
Only lists standard floorplans with door ahead of axles for 22-foot and 24-foot.

Quote:
3. Would we be terrible people if we re-painted or "Wrapped" our Wiky something wild or different than the original?
That is one of the more relaxed features of restoring/refurbishing an Argosy as unlike collector car restoration, Argosy restorers are much more forgiving of changes to color schemes and modification that have the potential of increasing the longevity or usefulness of the RV. The choice is yours, and I think that you will find very few, if any, in the Argosy community who will criticize another owner's color choices.

Enjoy your new-to-you Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #75

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Good Afternoon,

Lee
Welcome, both to AIRForums and to the stewardship of a vintage Argosy.

As Tom S mentioned, the Argosy is yours to do with what you wish. I'll be repainting our 28' Rear Bedroom 1976, and will likely take SOME liberties. However, it seems to me that the white paint on the upper part of the trailer is an advantage in hot climates over the silver trailers. In hot, sunny conditions it's easier to keep our 24' Argosy comfortable inside than Airstreams with higher-capacity AC units (we still have the original tough-as-nails Armstrong AC unit on the 24').

So, when thinking about color schemes, light colors on the top and possible a white coating like Ceramiflex on the very top of the roof may make a difference in hot places in the summer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Tom,
Thank you, we are actually pretty happy our girl came to us rough, it justifies some of the ideas we have in mind for her without actually destroying something rare or original. Wiky has none of the original fabrics inside (seems she was redone at some point) and was painted with some type of house paint at some point. Thank you for the reassurance.

Kevin,
WOW wonderful info and detailed, thank you for the time taken and knowledge
in responding. I actually found that same ad for the Argosy layouts and a few more that only showcase the 22' rear door and others. Has anyone even seen a 24' Rear Door for sale or on this site or anywhere else that was other than a 1977? We seem to have gotten lucky finding something that works perfect for our needs and has a cool history and story. Wiky is "new-to-us, but like any worthwhile or interesting lady, she has a history and a past!

DKB,
All good advice and I had not even considered the fact it would keep it cooler with a lighter color. I'd be very interested in seeing how you progress in the project, will you be posting pictures and updates?

Another question, anyone have a clue on the value of our 1977 Argosy? My significant other and I went round and round about the cost of this 37yr trailer that we were unsure if even any of the systems worked. We actually left and drove off because we could not reach a deal, but relented, turned around and gave them what they asked because this was THE trailer. We had seen over 18 trailers (3 Argosys) in person, in just over 10 days, and this was THE trailer.

I would like to be able to tell my guy "hey look, we really did get a bargain" before we start buying all the other stuff we will need to get her tip-top shape LOL. But I was not leaving NC without the trailer.

After we bought the trailer and hooked it to the truck we sunk both the trailer and truck axel deep in mud, 3hrs later after digging everything out and it was dark we drove off headed home. (We duct taped and gorilla taped cardboard to the Pan windows-someone here suggested it, unfortunately it tore off some of the paint on the trailer when we removed it). 15mins on the road we had no lights on the trailer and could only get lights on one side of the trailer working. After an hour of trying we bought a trailer light kit from AutoZone and away we went. Shortly thereafter we stoped for gas and found that again there were no lights, or License Plate (also duct taped but now gone). We were still 5hrs form home. Every 15mins we pulled off to wiggle adjust and get them working again, then it started to snow.

Please understand, I have never pulled a trailer before, but this was not so bad, until the snow came and we could not see the road any longer and the Salt Trucks ahead of us were not really having an impact. There is much more, but we made it back after 3am the next morning and began the painful process of learning how to back a trailer down into a cul-de-sac, into a driveway (we now have no license plate). Once we got it half onto the lawn, across the driveway (without hitting the telephone pole) we called it done and went to bed. I really hope we get better at backing the trailer up, imagine how bad it would have been if we brought a bigger one home!?

I still love it, the layout the size... can not wait to actually camp in it, we have been having lunch there and hanging out, working on cleaning, but I am ready to camp!

Lee
Old 02-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glen Burnie , Maryland
i.e. Without the License Plate we could not park it on the street.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glen Burnie , Maryland
1977 Argosy Airstream
Original Post we found our trailer on and associated images
Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Congrats. I saw that Ad and was hoping it would go to someone here.

How are the floors - any rot?
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Cool trailer. I didn't know they made a rear door back then.
Congrats
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote