Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

1987 25' Sovereign
Rochester , New York
and here we go... just got a 1987 Sovereign 25'

Hey all! - first post

So we just got our 25' 1987 Sovereign trailer delivered! It's definitely got some issues, but the price was right and we're looking for a long term project while we're living here in western NY for another year. The seller was very up-front about all of it's issues, as well as the work he put into the trailer. The interior is the rear twin version, original except for the front, where the floor was redone due to a water leak in the door/deadbolt. The seller told me the leak was sealed, and the lock was replaced, but I am worried about some wet insulation/wood/rust flakes I found under the belly pan by front-right stabilizing jack... kinda bummer that we missed this when we were checking out the trailer. Called the dude up to say 'what's up with that' and he was surprised. Is offering to come take a look... crossing my fingers the frame's not rotting out in there... but we shall see. He says he's worked on a lot of vintage trailers so I hope he can offer a solution. Definitely planned on doing a lot of work on this baby, but this was a bit disappointing...

Anyway, other than that, it's got the 'sunglasses' (so we can be ), 2 awnings that are in decent shape, some neat fan-vents, and a nice solar panel setup that the guy installed a few years back.

I have a remote web dev job which will allow my wife and I to do some semi-full-timing once everything's all set and we get a tow vehicle... We're young, new to all of this and have a lot to learn, but we're very excited to get this thing going!

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to chatting with all of you!
motorbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Richland , Washington
Hi motorbooty. I'm also a new forum member. We bought our 25' 1987 Sovereign about 4 years back - built the year we were married it was our 25th anniversary present to each other. Ours was in pretty good shape, we just polished and re-coated the outside and remodeled the inside. I recently replaced the converter - the original was cooking the batteries. Besides tires this is probably the first thing to replace in your trailer. I've got the two 12 VDC batteries in parallel that mount in boxes accessible from the front. The boxes will fit Group 31 batteries though they originally came with 27's.
JohnBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome both of you. I think your 87 Sovereign 25 foot vintage Airstreams are a good choice. Why, because we have a 86 Classic, and it is a rear twin floor layout.

Airstreams leak. One of the first tools I recommend is a "moisture detector" that you can probe the interior perimeter of your floor looking for moisture. They are not expensive and a good way to jump on a leak before it turns the floor to mush. Our mid eighties trailers have OSB subfloors which are not the best for water resistance to say the least.

Leaks can be detected in our trailers pretty effectively using the "seal tite" method. This test involves using a high volume fan to slightly pressurize the interior of the trailer, and then using a soapy solution, "painting" every seam looking for bubbles. It is similar to checking for leaks in a tire. I noticed a wet spot on the OSB floor in my rear storage compartment. I have to find that leak and fix it this winter. It could be roof vent, awning attachment, aluminum seam, window gasket, etc. Airstreams like to leak between the walls so you don't notice any moisture on the floor inside the trailer.

So enjoy your 87s. They are good trailers in my view.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Leak Test 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	273278  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign