Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

tacoma , Washington
1973 Sovereign 31'?

hello! new guy here and i'm looking at buying a airstream. it will be parked for temp. housing for another project. i have not seen it in person yet probably wednesday or thursday this week. all i have is a picture that i will attempt to post. from the surfing i have done it looks more like a 1975 to me from the pictures. it is a project from a estate sale. i will get some pic's and post them before i purchase it for everyone's feedback. just surfing around on this site so far has really enlightened me. thanks
Attached Images

55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Skin Looks Kinda Rough

55 Dude,

It's not the greatest pic so I can't say for sure but it appears there may be some significant skin damage. Peeling clearcoat is one thing, but wrinkles and or corrosion is another. I also noticed that the battery box door is either left open or missing.

I don't think it's a '73 because the bath in on the curbside. My '73 has the bath on the streetside.

I have a lot of photos of my restoration here.

Here's some buying advice that I still stand by.

Here's some more

There are two types of old Airstreams:

Those with major issues and those with major issues that have been repaired. (The third category is extremely rare...an original owner who has meticulously cared for it over the last 30 years.)

Don't be hasty, take your time, this forum is a great resource.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
hi, i agree with pizzachop. also, it is hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like the tires are sunk into the ground. has this one been sitting here for a significant amount of time. tires can be costly also. unless this is a very bad picture, it sure doesn't look like this trailer has been well cared for. of course, if it is a great deal, than maybe it is worth it. just have some idea of the cost of repair, etc. before making a decision, unless you are looking for an expensive and time-consuming project. i hope it is just a bad picture, it is sad to think she has been so neglected. good luck!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is that Puget Sound behind the trailer? If so, salt spray is absolutely the worst thing for aluminum. Be careful, and look very closely at the skin before committing to purchase. If it is covered with white corrosion, and tiny pits of corrosion, it will likely require all new skin to make it non-porous.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

tacoma , Washington
keep the feedback coming! it has been sitting in that spot for around 5 years. the more info i gather the cheaper it gets. by the way what size of tires will i need plus what is rim diameter/width and bolt pattern. what is the weight of it empty. i have a 1990 ford e-350 with 460/aod to move it with. will that work? thanks
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 dude
It has been sitting in that spot for around 5 years. the more info i gather the cheaper it gets. by the way what size of tires will i need plus what is rim diameter/width and bolt pattern. what is the weight of it empty. i have a 1990 ford e-350 with 460/aod to move it with. will that work? thanks
Tires are 7.00x15, wheels are 15x6, with a 6 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. Weighs about 5000 empty, depending on what is in it. Your van should be more than capable of towing the trailer, we towed our Overlander with a 3/4 ton Chevy van.