Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
another door handle

Okay, so I've read all the posts on door handles, but I don't know what I should (or shouldn't do).
The inside handle has what I would call "slop",as it can move up and down from 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock with no resistance. The inside lock will not move either.
I removed both the inside and outside handles to show the lock in the door. At this point I got really scared, cause I don't want to mess it up any more than it already is. Sometimes I have enough sense to stop tearing things apart and ask questions first!
Can anyone tell what I need to do or look for from here? Do I go ahead and remove the whole thing to try to find out what is causing this?
Below are pics of the lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	157583   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	157584  

Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The lock is pretty simple. It won't explode on you if you remove it. Remove the three screws on the inside and then remove the two screws above and below the plunger that are in the door frame. The latch mechanism will come out easily. Probably the lock is jammed. The lock is just a slider that fits down in a slot in the plate that holds the plunger. Try pushing the lock pin up to unlock the door. There are more screws on the inside on the base that holds the outer handle. This plate holds all the bits in and there is a spring on the plunger and one behind the slider for the lock. I am working on a 3D CAD model of this whole latch mechanism but I am not there yet.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you Perry, for letting me know the whole thing would not fall apart in my hands!
I pulled it out yesterday and then only took of the one plate.(I'm trying not to get too stupid too fast.) I didn't see any reason for the "slop" or the lock not working, but I will bring it home to the work bench for a better look.
I'm mostly concerned with the slop issue, as I don't want to another to be locked in or out!
Thank you again, Perry.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If the shaft is not loose on the inside handle then the slop is in the metal plate that the shaft goes through. The plate rotates and pushes the plunger in and out. I suspect the hole in the plate might be wallowed out. You could get locked in but as long as you have a screw driver you can get out.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote