Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2021, 06:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Urgent Sink Plumbing Help needed

Hi all, I was about to leave for my next destination when I discovered that my pots under the sink were full of water. The black plastic tube at the U-shape was no longer connected to its vertical tube coming straight from the sink. I unscrewed what seems to be the element that squeezes the tubes to another, but it doesn’t seem to hold or create any friction. I also didn’t see any plumbing tape, nothing.

This is a brand new Airstream Globetrotter that just came out of warranty work at JC and I know they re-glued the whole sink. See images attached, would appreciate your help to get this fixed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C510DC1-B533-4A60-AA73-C3E582F8A6DA.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	398219   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F3523CC-7276-4525-A5B7-12B48023C9ED.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	398220  

CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
From your photos the piece above the p trap looks like it was cut too short. You should be able to get another one at one of the box stores. Take the piece with you to make sure you get the correct diameter.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My guess is they didn't get things tight enough and your p-trap simply slipped off the drain tube from your sink.

The black plastic ring that spins on the threads is the nut. There should be a white nylon ring on there as well.

The way it's supposed to go together is the nut slides up on the upper pipe, and then the white nylon ring gets pushed up next. The slanted side of the white nylon ring points down in your situation.

Then you push the p-trap up as far as it will go over the pipe hanging down from the sink drain. Slide the black plastic nut down to engage the threads on the p-trap, trapping the white nylon ring in between. As you tighten the black plastic ring it will squeeze the nylon ring against the pipe, and if you tighten it enough it will hopefully hold things together.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
My guess is they didn't get things tight enough and your p-trap simply slipped off the drain tube from your sink.

The black plastic ring that spins on the threads is the nut. There should be a white nylon ring on there as well.

The way it's supposed to go together is the nut slides up on the upper pipe, and then the white nylon ring gets pushed up next. The slanted side of the white nylon ring points down in your situation.

Then you push the p-trap up as far as it will go over the pipe hanging down from the sink drain. Slide the black plastic nut down to engage the threads on the p-trap, trapping the white nylon ring in between. As you tighten the black plastic ring it will squeeze the nylon ring against the pipe, and if you tighten it enough it will hopefully hold things together.
Thanks Richard, you’re a lifesaver. I found two black rubber rings inside the P trap. They must have not attached them in either side. It was a lucky catch after all and it’s all fixed. Thanks again
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This is the second Airstream trailer in the last two weeks that new owners have posted this problem here in the forum!

Come on Airstream! Where is your quality control???

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Downspout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Thanks Richard, you’re a lifesaver. I found two black rubber rings inside the P trap. They must have not attached them in either side. It was a lucky catch after all and it’s all fixed. Thanks again
Just to add to the knowledge base, a correctly installed sink drain downspout will be long enough to set in the full length of the widened mouth of the p-trap.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote